There are some really cool new capabilities for smart device development in Visual Studio 2005. This is one area of Whidbey that I’ve barely touched up until now, but I’ve just been wowed by the breadth and range of improvements. For example:
- Skins in the development environment with wired hardware buttons;
- Dynamic refactoring of a single application for different Pocket PC form factors and screen resolutions;
- Pocket PC Menus that automatically convert to soft buttons on a SmartPhone;
- SQL Server Mobile Edition with full support in Server Explorer;
- Rich new controls such as GridView;
- Master / details database support with synchronisation code created by the designer;
- Support for custom controls on mobile devices with design-time rendering;
- Docking and anchoring of mobile forms controls;
- An embeddable web control that runs live in the designer environment;
- Enumerate all processes on a Pocket PC, attach a debugger and intercept via breakpoint.
The TechEd session that will show most of this off is MBL332, “Visual Studio 2005 Development for Smart Devices”. This session will be presented at both TechEd US and TechEd Europe. This one should be high up on your shortlist – you’ll be impressed, I promise you!