How do you convert a string into an enum?

I’ve come across the situation on a number of occasions when coding where I’ve wanted to convert from a string to an enum. In the Media Catalog sample, I resorted to one giant switch statement that has a case block for each string that returns an enum from it.

One of my colleagues came up with the answer yesterday; it’s one of those methods that you can never find when you’re looking for it, but once discovered it seems blindingly obvious:

object Enum.Parse(System.Type enumType, string value, bool ignoreCase);

So you can write the following kind of code:

enum Colour
{
Red,
Green,
Blue
}

// …
Colour c = (Colour) Enum.Parse(typeof(Colour), “Red”, true);
Console.WriteLine(“Colour Value: {0}”, c.ToString());

// Picking an invalid colour throws an ArgumentException. To
// avoid this, call Enum.IsDefined() first, as follows:
string nonColour = “Polkadot”;

if (Enum.IsDefined(typeof(Colour), nonColour))
c = (Colour) Enum.Parse(typeof(Colour), nonColour, true);
else
MessageBox.Show(“Uh oh!”);

What a time saver – thanks, Simon!

Footnote: interestingly, whilst writing this up I noticed that Enum.IsDefined() doesn’t offer the ignoreCase parameter. If you don’t know whether the casing is right, it seems the only way to do the conversion is using the Parse method and catching the ArgumentException. That’s not ideal, since it runs a lot slower. I wonder if this is a loophole in the design; no doubt someone like Brad could cast light on it…

1. Venu says:

Do you have something similar to this in VB?

2. Tim Sneath says:

Venu, the old proverb says that it’s better to teach a man to fish than to simply give him a fish, so I’m going to point you at an automated conversion tool from C# to VB:

Simply copy and paste the code above into the tool, and you’ll get the C# equivalent. Cool, isn’t it?

3. SBC says:

You can get the string values of enums also by calling Enum.GetNames or Enum.GetName…

4. Merak says:

The problem occurs when the Enum definition is made of multiple words.

Another more flexible approach (albeit much slower) is to adhorn each Enum value with a DescriptionAttribute, and to use reflection to grab that

5. Craig says:

Excellent! Like you said, glaringly obvious.

6. Maíra says:

Great! That was exactly what I was looking for!

7. miz says:

How about the C version of this…

that would be really helpful…

8. BigRabbit says:

Very helpful – Thanks!

Can I get this in COBOL, 8088 assembly, and Pascal too? No hurry, I need it by next Wednesday.

Thanks again!

9. John says:

Hi, i was just wondering if you knew how I could do this exact thing in C++.NET? I have found so many C# examples but they all seem so different to what I am used to.

Many thanks,

John

10. AndrewK says:

Well here’s a small example using managed C++:

namespace EnumMagic

, PIDGEON

};

};

}

int _tmain()

{

String* aNewEnumString = __box( EnumMagic::MagicSet::PLAYING_CARDS )->ToString();

EnumMagic::MagicSet* aNewMagicSet = new EnumMagic::MagicSet();

if ( Enum::IsDefined( __typeof( EnumMagic::MagicSet::MagicItems ), S"RABBIT" ) )

{

aNewMagicSet =

static_cast< EnumMagic::MagicSet* >( Enum::Parse( __typeof( EnumMagic::MagicSet::MagicItems ), S"RABBIT" ) );

}

if ( Enum::IsDefined( __typeof( EnumMagic::MagicSet::MagicItems ), S"PRETTY_ASSISTANT" ) )

{

aNewMagicSet =

static_cast< EnumMagic::MagicSet* >( Enum::Parse( __typeof( EnumMagic::MagicSet::MagicItems ), S"PRETTY_ASSISTANT" ) );

}

return 0;

}

11. graham says:

genius.  cheers.  was just about to break out the giant switch.

12. Ryan says:

The C# to VB.NET is great, but what about just plain VB or VBA?

13. Jad says:

Hi Tim:

I wonder, if this can work in my situation.

I have a switch statement:

switch (moduleName)

{

case "Module1" : return 1; break;

case "Module2" : reutrn 2; break;

}

I have also an enum:

public enum ModuleNames

{

Module1,

Module2

}

So is there a possibility I can substitute the "Module1", "Module2" in my switch with something like

case ModuleNames.Module1: ….

Also, in your line:

Colour c = (Colour) Enum.Parse(typeof(Colour), "Red", true);

Console.WriteLine("Colour Value: {0}", c.ToString());

Why do we need to do so? I mean c.ToString() doesn’t have the value of "Red"? So we already have it, Am I missing something?

Thanks,

14. Atilla says:

it is a shame that enum_type written does not inherit capabilities of base enum.

15. Antoine Caze says:

Thanks !

16. Thanks, was struggling with this for about 3 minutes then found your doc.

17. Anumakonda Chandrasekhar says:

Thanks for the suggession and for providing same code.

18. Blake Shadle says:

Why are VB coders so lame? Hahahaha! Great snippet man, thanks.

19. Holas! Ya en un post del anio pasado xD, habíamos comentado como usar una estructura enumeración…

20. Holas! Ya en un post del anio pasado xD, habíamos comentado como usar una estructura enumeración en el

21. How do you convert a string into an enumeration? object Enum .Parse(System. Type enumType, string value

22. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

23. GigPeppers says:

Convert enum to string with attributes.

24. GigPeppers says:

Convert enum to string with attributes.

25. ASPInsiders says:

I just had a great one on one coding learning session with a good friend of mine over lunch. He’s trying

26. Dnes len tak pri bežnom dennom kódení vyvstala z môjho kódu interná potreba textového enumeration typu