SQL server 2012 Install/Update Failure – 84B20001

When trying to update SQL Server 2012 with the patch KB2716442 (Windows 8) I was not able to solve the issue 84B20001.

Going on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716442 I was not able to solve the issue neither so I wanted to share how I solved this issue.

To solve the issue type “Regedit” in your start menu.

UPDATE 01/26/2013 :

Some comments describe that depending on your SQL version you might want to change other keys. For example setting the registry key “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\ConfigurationState” to 1 helps completing some installations.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

You might have some Keys with a value of 3. Change all the keys so that they have a value of 1.

This operation works for SQL Server 2008, SQL server 2008 R2 by using the node 100 in the regedit and SQL server 2012 uses 110.

Hope this will help you.

1. all value I have are 1 says:

still the update is failing. and comments?

2. Tony says:

Doesn't work for me either.

I have an upgraded 2008 R2 to 2012 RTM developer edition. Think the problem is to do with seeing old files. I hate the way SQL and Visual Studio still install loads of crap from the previous versions and even leave icons in the start menu for 2008 R2.

3. Dave May says:

I had a similar issue, but in my case the offending registry keys were found in HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL11.MSSQLSERVERConfigurationState.  Patch installation was successful after I set all key values to 1.

4. Andrew says:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

5. David says:

This solution worked for me also and like the other poster said one of the values was a '2'.  Changed it to 1 and it installed (took a while but it installed)..

6. Ed says:

How do you set a registry key to 1?

When you say set the HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100ConfigurationState key to 1, do you mean set the default value to 1? In the image above, the default value is not set. Do you understand the difference between a registry key and registry value?

7. Tree IT says:

This did not solve the issue. There are not registry keys with a value 3 in my system.

8. cj says:

thanks, this worked for me. the sql_dreplay_controller key had a val of 2. changed it to 1 and the update worked.

9. Bluebossa says:

Hey, worked like a charm also for KB 2716440 with the same error code.

t had to check also the instances of the installation (in my case the express version)

Here I found all entries on state 3:

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL10_50.SHAREPOINTConfigurationState

Thanks a lot for sharing this!

10. Mezzrow says:

The sql_dreplay_controller key had a val of 2. changed it to 1 and the update worked.   Any idea *why* this would be?

11. Thuc Nguyen says:

Thanks a lot. I was having this issue in SQL Server 2008 R2 and was able to resolve it using this post, plus one action:  update all values of ConfigurationState key of all other sibling keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server.

This KB may give some helpful information relating to this issue: support.microsoft.com/…/970608.

Hope this help.

12. Kelley H says:

Huge thanks. Had a couple of values set to 2. This resolved the issue and a couple of downstream failures as well.

13. Cindy S says:

Thanks!  Solved my issue as well.  The values that needed to be changed where in one of my instances as well.

14. Stephen Rondeau says:

When trying to update SQL Server 2012 to SP1 with the patch KB2674319 (and afterwards, to the rollup KB2793634 patch) on Windows 7, I also encountered this 0x84B20001 error.

The "summary log file" location was not listed in the update wizard — an error message flashed by too fast to see, and then the update wizard was done.

I found the log file by searching for files modified today, in the summary.txt and the detail.txt files in

this folder:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server110Setup BootstrapLog

The log noted that this file:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server110Setup BootstrapUpdate

was missing. I found the "redistVisualStudioShellVC10SP1" folder in

the unarchived version of the service pack:

SQLServer2012SP1-KB2674319-x86-ENU.exe /x:C:sp1

Which extracts the SP into the "C:sp1" folder. So the resulting folder

would be:

I copied the entire redist directory to the correct location:

xcopy /s /i c:sp1redist "C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL

Server110Setup BootstrapUpdate CacheKB2674319ServicePackredist"

There are two subfolders of "redistVisualStudioShellVC10SP1" — x86

and x64. The vc_red.msi and other files are in both of those subfolders,

but must be under the VC10SP1 folder directly:

cd /d "C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server110Setup BootstrapUpdate

copy x86* .

Then the service pack will be installed correctly — the "Update Cache"

doesn't get deleted.

A similar thing, using the same files, can be done for patch KB2793634.

15. Axel Lambrecht says:

Thanks to Stephen Rondeau: worked well!

16. Michaël BRUNO says:

Well done Linvi ! It works fine for me.

I have 2 versions : sql server 2008 and 2012 and got the error when I tried to perform the sql server 2008 SP1.

Thanks a lot !!

17. Tony says:

Yes was upgrading to SQL 2012 SP2 so path was not quite the same but still worked.

Very good!

18. John says:

Unfortunately, I checked my registry and all the settings are correct. I get this error with two updates: MS SQL Server 2012 SP2 (KB2958429) and Security Update for SQL Server 2012 SP1 (KB2977326). The machine in question was installing a large number of updates in the last few days. I have had to hide those two so Windows wouldn't attempt to install them with every reboot.

19. Shell says:

I had an entry at HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110ConfigurationState that was set to 2.  Changing it to 1 allowed the install to complete successfully. This was SQL_DReplay_Controller.

Thanks so much. After a million attempts at getting this installed

20. Sammy Machethe says:

Hi Everyone,

My colleagues and I ran into same problem and the solution in this link worked for us.

Thanks JeremyE for posting this.

21. Sammy Machethe (Sammy.Machethe@gmail.com) says:

Hi Everyone,

My Colleagues and I ran into same problem and we found solution here: db-pub.com/…/upgrading-sql-server2012-sp1-to-sp2-failing-the-user-log-directory-in-the-registry-is-not-valid-verify-defaultlog-key-under-the-instance-hive-points-to-a-valid-directory.html

Solution posted by: JeremyE, Thanks.

Sammy Machethe

22. Greg says:

Hi there.  Mine was quite different but was able to get it to work based on this post so I'll add my variation:

Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2012 SP2.  Was trying to get SP3 on but stuck on KB2716442, error 84B20001.

My offending registry entry was located at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSAS11.MSSQLSERVERConfigurationState where Analysis_Server_Full was set to 2.

Once I set it to 1 I was able to install KB2716442, which allowed SP3 to show up and install properly.