The Workflow 4.0 Custom Activity Icon (and Toolbox Icon) FAQ

[Update: This FAQ is outdated and has be rewritten and reposted here:

I'm leaving the original comments here.]

1. tilovell09 says:

For WPF code to use bitmap files as icons on the designer there is also this post from Kushal:

Tim

2. Notre says:

‘Is there a way to override the default activity icon at a global level?’

Another way to do this is demonstrated by Kushal in his post on adding "adornments" to a designer:

Not particularly straightforward, but it works…

3. tilovell09 says:

@Notre

Hm, ‘No’ was far wide of the mark indeed! That’s probably a better way overall, as you can then easily start to modify more than just the icon.

Thanks for correcting me!

Tim

4. Ritesh says:

I need to create a subcategory within a Toolbox category (ToolboxCategory) in WF4 i.e. I have main category as "Basic Activities" now within that I need to have 2 sub categories as "Useful", "Very Useful".

Basic Activities -> Useful

-> Very Useful

Any help would be appreciated.

5. tilovell09 says:

I'm pretty sure that the shipped Toolbox control doesn't support subcategories.

Tim

6. Ritesh says:

Hi,

I have created couple of variables & used them in a workflow. Now suppose user changed the name of a variable then that has to be updated dynamically at all used places in that workflow.

Any suggestions to achieve this…

7. Evan says:

* Ritesh, re: your question about subcategories.  We also had a need to splitting up activities in "subcategories" and found it was not possible.  What we did do was change the left hand panel in the rehosted designer to a TabControl and added tabs with additional toolboxes.  We use the tab as the "main category" and the category feature as the "subcategory".  Does this help you?

Skip to main content