Podcasting The .NET Show?

It seems like “PodCasting” is picking up a lot of steam these days, so I’m thinking about adding support for it to The .NET Show. I’d be interested in any comments any of you have regarding this, as well as any specific advice as to what to either make sure we do, or don’t do, in implementing it.

When I first heard about podcasting some time ago, I asked around about it, and the opinion I got was that it was more for audio streams than for video streams. Probably because it was primarily targeted at loading content onto audio MP3 players. But it seems like more and more people are starting to use it for video as well.

1. TheShow says:

…and if you have any specific video podcasts that you currently subscribe to, let me know so I can take a look at how others are setting this up.

2. Cbarnhorst says:

I use podcasting to collect and listen to or view feeds from Channel 9, Slashdot Review (http://slashdotreview.com/wp-rss2.php), DotNetRocks!, and some Sherlock Holmes readings (Pinkgeek.net). The Channel 9 video feeds work very well for me and I like not having to periodically check the site for new programs. A lot of podcasters are moving to BitTorrent to save bandwidth. See DotNetRocks! for just how much bandwidth Carl Franklin is saving by using BitTorrent.

3. jujitsu_sickness says:

Can’t wait for episode 50. When’s it due?

-An avid viewer.

4. Klas Mellbourn says:

Yes, please podcast the .NET Show! It would enable easier automated downloading.

5. LizM says:

yes please! Please podcast .net. I would LOVE .net on my photo ipod!

thanks!

liz

6. David Starr says:

PLEASE do this. I have just blogged about the idea of providing video via RSS 2.0 and the idea is so powerful!

I would LOVE to pull the show directly to my player, and I would more than likely see more of the episodes.

PLEASE DO THIS.

7. Hey Robert, great show keep it up. I’d like to add my comment that I like the idea of podcasting, but I’d like to re-request a feature I asked about a year ago. Can we get an audio-only version of the show too? I’d like to copy it to my smartphone to listen to on the go but I can’t really view it and it seems like a big waste of space to put a video on the phone if I’m only listening to the audio.

8. Hey Robert, great show keep it up. I’d like to add my comment that I like the idea of podcasting, but I’d like to re-request a feature I asked about a year ago. Can we get an audio-only version of the show too? I’d like to copy it to my smartphone to listen to on the go but I can’t really view it and it seems like a big waste of space to put a video on the phone if I’m only listening to the audio.

9. Shawn Miller says:

I’d love to see a podcast for The .NET Show!!!

My advice-

Do: post RSS enclosures as links to WMV files

Don’t: post RSS enclosure as links to bittorrent files that is a pointer to the WMV file

The Channel 9 team uses RSS to link to the video directly. The guys at .NET Rocks! require that your podcast client download to download a bittorrent pointer… then your bittorrent client download the actual file you’re after.

You guys have the infrastructure in place to support the bandwith requirements to serve up the video files directly.

Also, use NuParadigm’s DrizzleCast to download your podcast using idle network bandwith (provided by Microsoft BITS)

10. Randy M. Franklin, Jr. says:

Yes, please do so. I’d also appreciate seeing the show published in mp4 format, cause then I can download to my PSP for when I’m on the go.

11. FXP says:

Yes, I live in NYC and put shows on my player to read while traveling the Subway. DotNetRocks and other shows are a great way to catch-up while commuting.

12. Paul says:

Please, PLEASE podcast the .NET show! Please…

13. Mel says:

Would love to see the audio version of all episodes available in MP3 download format. Would make it easy to copy onto a USB Flash Drive and take it with you to listen anywhere you go.

14. Mike says:

Yes please podcast the show!

15. ARU says:

Please do podcast the .NET show!

16. Jim Snowden says:

Yes, please!  I love the show and view podcasts all the time!  I no longer watch any cable/TV, only DVDs and Podcasts!

17. Avatar Ng says:

Podcast it by making sure the video format is something commonly playable.

Don’t do it, caused’ this effort will only BOOM your ratings!

18. Rob says:

I have a smart phone now and have been using NewsBreak for pod casts and RSS feeds.  I would love to see this as a podcast.  The files are too big to download on demand so if it was automatic while my phone is docked, I would be able to watch these at night before sleeping.

So, yeah!!

Otherwise, I considering writing my own little RSS feeder take the RSS feed and adding the video to it on my own machine.  I would prefer if you did this for everyone.