New Episode: Longhorn Avalon

Ok, so we are perhaps a little bit late with this episode, but at least we finally got it posted…

In this episode I talk with David Ornstein, Pablo Fernicola, Rob Relyea, and Nathan Dunlap about “Avalon” which is the new graphical programming model for “Longhorn”. There are a lot of changes that are going to be coming into play with Avalon. Not only is it a “vector” based display model, but it also comes with a new programming approach that leverages “XAML” (zamel) as an XML based layout description that will allow designers to work with XAML editing tools so that they can play a more direct role in the development in application interfaces and graphics, while the programmer continues to work primarily in C, C++, VB, C#, or whatever other .NET programming language they choose.

In this episode we are also using a new Multiple Bitrate Encoding for the streams, which will automatically detect the right stream to play back based on your connection bandwidth. So you’ll see only a single “Watch It Now!” link on the page instead of the multiple 56k, 100k, 300k, buttons. Use the comments section of this blog entry to let us know if you have any problems with this.

And this Friday Erica and I will be filming our next episode, which will be on Longhorn Fundamentals. This will be our final Longhorn focused episode for a while.

1. Chris says:

Great! This has become one of my favourite shows!

2. peter says:

Hi!

>>This will be our final Longhorn focused episode for a while<<

And what’s is planned next (I hope that show was not cancelled…)?

I vote for episode about Whitehorse or better about Burton (Whidbey Enterprise tools).

many thanks for show. Keep the good work.

p.

3. Thomas says:

>>I vote for episode about Whitehorse<<

DITTO.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate it.

4. Robert Hess says:

Our next episode will be an overview of the new features of "Whidbey" overall. We will focus on "Burton" and "Whitehorse" in a later episode that has not yet been scheduled.

5. Robert Björn says:

Great episode! Very interesting and inspiring. The XAML demo was awesome! I only wish there were more hours in the day so that I could actually find the time to play with this.

6. Christian says:

Cool! I love this show too! It has also become one of my favourites. I would also see more about Whidbey (and it tools).

7. Robert Hess says:

Whidbey… we’ll be covering some of that in the July episode.

8. How about SQL Server Reporting / Notification services?

9. Serflaten says:

Speaking of serving drinks in Dixie cups….

Your Multi Bitrate Encoding seems to do well for my 56K dial up line. I have previously downloaded all the earlier shows just to be able to watch them at a comfortable pace. 3 – 10 second gaps for loading a buffer or two every minute just wasn’t getting it in the early shows so I stopped using the online links. But this MBE seems to have done a nice job at, if nothing else, keeping the audio going at a normal pace. One thing I miss about off line viewing is the ability to switch to full screen mode. Is there an instruction page on using the viewer? I saw no link to it, and if you add it, I was expecting to find it in the little blue About… box. I really would like to see that Dixie cup viewer, change into a full screen application!

If you haven’t thought of it already, it might be nice if you could showcase some high profile, or exceptional uses of .NET in the real world. What applications are being made, what’s being innovated because of the technology. Also, I’d suggest a developers look at trust zones in code access security. From what I can tell, (at a cursory glance) there is no way for the ‘hobbyist’ to write a no-touch WinForms application that does not require full trust, when downloaded from the internet. Is that the case, and how can developer’s tell what permissions will be needed? (How can we ‘declare’ or test for, or request them, unless we know what we need….) But, its that full trust, that really needs help. A ‘hobbyist’ developer can’t expect users far and wide to be mucking about with their .NET configurations. It would be nice to know what it takes to stay within the lowest trust, or the level that is supplied by default. (VB examples please 😉

Thanks for sticking with the .NET show, they have always been educational, and I have to admit; I like having Erica’s image grace my screen once in a while!

10. Omar Raihan says:

Hi,

I have downloaded the episode, but the wmv file is not "seek"-able unlike past episode.

"Seek"-ing ability is very helpful, otherwise you have to watch the whole espisode in one sitting which is not always poosible.

Would you please post media that is "seek"-able.

Thanks.

11. Omar Raihan says:

Hi,

I have downloaded the episode (300K version), but the wmv file is not "seek"-able unlike past episode.

Would you please post media that is "seek"-able.

Thanks.

12. Robert Hess says:

Omar, I tried a test of downloading the 300k episode from the site, extrating the WMV file, then running it in the Windows Media Player to see if I could reproduce your problem… but I couldn’t. I was able to scroll the "Seek" bar back and forth to go to a specific location in the stream. Is this different from the behavior that you are seeing?

-Robert Hess

13. What I was wondering about this episode, is if xaml will also be available for web applications?

Hereby I want to express my appreciation for the .NET show, it really provides me with lots of information on latest Microsoft technologies.

14. Omar Raihan says:

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response. Seekability problem was probably due to corrupted download. I downloaded the show again, now it is Seekable.

Avlon is super cool!! Looking forward to see the show on Longhorn Fandamentals.

– Omar Raihan

15. Rob Relyea says:

Anthony asked:

if xaml will also be available for web applications?

Answer:

Avalon will only work on Windows "Longhorn" and later. You can build Avalon applications (using xaml) that run in the browser. There is a HostInBrowser boolean property that you set in your Project file. Changing that value chooses to run in the browser or in a top level window (like notepad).

16. 781 says:

Stay up to date on platform technologies from Microsoft

I do not agree. Go to http://www.lowcostresorts.info/page/781.html

17. Naples Jobs says:

Stay up to date on platform technologies from Microsoft

I do not agree. Go to http://www.allbestjobs.info

Skip to main content