One of the greatest things about modern technology is that it allows many of us to work from anywhere. We are no longer chained to a desk in a traditional office. Now, we can be any place, even on the couch, and get our work done. This is often a lot more effective than working in an office, because the remote worker is more comfortable and relaxed, and they can set their own schedules. If you are a remote worker, or you are considering becoming one, here are some tips for working with a remote startup team.
- Switch it Up – When you work remotely, you have the freedom to work from anywhere. Why limit yourself to just working at home? Switch things up once in a while and work in other locations, Workfrom will help you find the next great spot. Even move to a different part of your home. For instance, on rainy days, go to your local library or a coffee shop to work. On nice days, take your laptop out to the back yard, or even to the park or a beach and do your work while enjoying the great weather.
- Get Dressed – While you may think that it is a luxury to be able to work from home while wearing pyjamas, this can actually be a bit too counter-productive. When you are wearing pyjamas, you get into a more relaxed mindset. This leads to a lack of productivity. So, get up and get dressed before you start working. Dress for success. Plus, you never know when you are going to have to meet with your boss, a client, etc., so you may as well be prepared.
- Use Time Tracking Software – Not only is Time Doctor a great tool for remote team, it also offers resources to help make your startup successful. For instance, check out “Remote Work: The Ultimate Guide”. It offers loads of tips that will help your team stay on top of things, communicate, and get things done quickly and efficiently.
- Hang Out with Friends – Yes, you are supposed to be working. But, you can also break up your day so you can have some social interaction. It is all too easy to end up becoming too much of a homebody when you work remotely. Setting up lunch dates with friends, taking a yoga class, etc. will help you to stay social and active. It will also ensure that you get out of the house every day so you don’t end up becoming a hermit.
- Listen to Music – Many people find that having music playing in the background helps them to be more productive. But, keep in mind that if you are going to do this, it has to be the right kind of music. Create a playlist of music that gets you moving. It doesn’t have to be any particular type of music. What works for one person may not work for someone else. The songs should be ones that make you want to get up and move. A lot of people find that tunes with a great beat help to keep them motivated.
- Choose the Best Meeting Times – You really need to get to know the rest of your team. They could be working in any part of the world and at any time of the day or night. You need to learn their schedules, and then come up with a time for meetings that everyone can accommodate. For instance, 4pm is a great time for meetings, because it is the end of the day for early risers, and the beginning of the day for night owls. When figuring out a meeting schedule, don’t forget to take time zones into consideration.