Coming Out

Well, it certainly is good to be able to talk more about the project after all these long months. I’m finally getting re-aclimated to Seattle time after my trip. My first night home I began to really feel the travel during dinner and lasted no more than 30 seconds after my head hit the pillow.

The team has made great progress in the meantime. We took the first drop of processed rail data for North America from our data team just before I left. Since returning I’ve enjoyed loading up the sim, going to a random location, and driving along. The hunting and rocking of each car in the consist seems so real–just like I’ve seen in railfan video. The thing that’s not quite real is the contour of the track. The first pass of data processing does not include normalizing the grade or curvature so the ride is more like a roller coaster at times than a rail simulator. Still, with derailment disabled, it makes for a fun tour of the countryside (we have no virtual motion sickness feature–yet). Since we inherited the new camera system from FSX I can create custom cameras attached to nearly any point on the train and experiment with different points of view. I particularly like a spot at the rear of the lead locomotive. It provides a good forward view and I can turn around to see the other locomotives and rolling stock bouncing and jostling as we move along. Good times.

1. EDDS says:

sounds great, when can we expect a first screenshot/video?

2. Pedro Aviles says:

Great, Rick!!

I´m excited with the idea of the gradients, the fsx style views, etc. I´m an old flighsimmer from FS3; look for the "Spain Global Scenery" in http://www.flighsim.com.

Have not nails at the present moment. Don´t want to mind about my nails will look like when in the 2008 Chistmas Eve!!

Cheers from Madrid

3. Pedro Aviles says:

So sorry for the mistake: When I wrote "Rick" I mean "Mike"

The excitement with MSTS" inhibit my thinks to work properly 😉

4. Drifton Dalton says:

I’m just wondering about a quote you made in this blog entry tdragger, "We took the first drop of processed rail data for North America from our data team just before I left. Since returning I’ve enjoyed loading up the sim, going to a random location, and driving along." Now, would this mean rail data for the selcted routes you all are going to model, OR rail data from the entire USA rail system? Sort of got me a little confused by saying "first drop of processed rail data for North America" and "going to random locations". Any sort of reply would be greatfully appreciated even if it’s an "I can’t disclose this info", just so I know you read this lol.

Drifton

str33t_fir3 @ yahoo.com

5. tdragger says:

Drifton, TS2 will feature world-wide rail data. We just got our first drop of data for all of North America.

6. Pedro Aviles says:

Hi Mike,

World Wide rail data can be compared with 24.000 airports designes as in realitty all over the world in FSX? And so on; World Wide Rail data means we´ll be able to ride from, for example, Paris to Moscow over rails though not scenery designed around it?

This would be excellent. As a senior Scenery Designer for Microsoft Flight Simulator from FS4, I should be happy to design the sceneries for this routes as long as the rail (main lines) be tended prior for all you, guys, from a real World Wide Rail Data

Cheers from Madrid