DVD Issues

Briefly (I need to bug out early today) there are a couple of install issues emerging related to the DVDs. I thought this info might help:

First, some people are complaining that the 2nd DVD isn’t recognized (or that they can’t eject it). One trend we’ve noticed is that folks having this problem are also running some 3rd-party DVD software in the background (e.g., Nero). This is causing problems with our setup program when it tries to detect a disk change. What we’ve been telling people to try (if they can’t figure out how to manually disable the other software) is to reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 at the first Windows XP screen) and then try running SETUP.

Second, some people are getting a funny error about “UDF” when they try to install. This happens when the DVD cannot read the particular UDF format used on the DVDs. The fix here is less straightforward and typically requires you to upgrade your DVD firmware (if an upgrade exists). Worst case you’ll need to get a newer DVD drive that can handle the UDF format. Sorry, but that’s about all the help we can provide right now.

Hope that helps some of you. Cheers.

1. Felix/FFDS says:

Now you tell me!

When installing, the first went in fine, and when it came time to insert the second DVD, my drive would not recognize the presence of the second, nor for that matter, the first or anything else!

Obviously, I have hardware problems.

Solution?  I installed from my wife’s computer’s Dvd over the wireless network I have set up.  It took and LONG time, but it got the job done.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat!

2. Bill Leaming says:

Another way to overcome the issue of the installer not recognizing the disk change is to copy all the DVD’s contents to a new FSX Install folder, and then launch Setup from there.

After installation, simply delete the FSX Install folder. 😉

3. Jeff Turner says:

I had this issue and deleted the demo version that I still had on my computer and it worked fine after that…

I’m glad it was that easy, I wouldn’t have been happy for $70…

4. Jim Young says:

I have Nero 7 Ultra installed and had absolutely no problems installing FSX. I think many DVD problems are the cause of "dirty" DVD’s such as fingerprints or scratches on one or both disks.  Simply cleaning the disk(s) will solve most DVD problems IMHO.

Best regards,

Jim

5. Ismail Pazarbasi says:

I have had a similar problem. I already knew that my "expensive" HP DVD drive fails to read some DVDs. I have bought set of DVD movies of Anthony Hopkins, but couldn’t watch any. I couldn’t understand why my DVD drive did fail to read, it’s not an ancient drive, after all, made in November 2005.

I have bought Flight Simulator X before its release date (thanks to shops in Oslo 😀 ) and taken photos of it, posted forum to tease my friends! Flight Simulator X has not completely failed to install, but I had problems during installation, probably caused by DVD drive. Destination file was in use, said installer. I did a nasty trick; I have opened Sysinternals’ process explorer, found file handle and forcibly closed it. Then I clicked "Retry" in installer and it installed. Source or destination could not be accessed more than 6 times, but only in one particular case, destination file handle was left open. In remaining cases, clicking "Retry" worked. I was installing FSX into a fresh 80GB non-compressed partition, dedicated to FSX only (drive letter is X!). Something went wrong during installation and installer left the handle open, then tried to open again, but failed.

I have found a more recent version of my DVD’s firmware and now everything works just fine.

6. paul n says:

bill,

how would you then disolve the problem with the setup searching for disc2?