Hyper-V: Will My Computer Run Hyper-V? Detecting Intel VT and AMD-V

Update 12/5/12:
I was reviewing blog posts with the highest hit count and to my surprise this post is still receiving more than 10 hits per day on average…  In many ways I though this article would have lost it’s relevance given that pretty much every CPU shipped in the last 4+ years supports virtualization but I guess not.  So I wanted to provide a few key updates…

The AMD tool has been moved to http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=177

The Intel tool remains at the same location – it continues to be updated to support the latest processors but looks and functions just the same as it did back in 2008.  It does now report VT-x (SLAT/Extended Page Table) support as well as the Intel encryption instructions.

Original Post:
There are many many blog posts by different people on this but I still get the questions pretty often – Will my <Random Computer Manufacture> <Random Computer Model> run Hyper-V?  Hyper-V requires processor virtualization extensions (Intel-VT and AMD-V) and requires those features to be enabled along with the No-Execute (NX) feature.  For AMD we also require that the CPU be revision F3 or grater or F2 with additional BIOS support – most of the server OEM’s have the additional BIOS support but not all.  Ok so the question still remains will my computer run Hyper-V?  There are a few tools that will help you.

For AMD you can download there AMD Virtualization™ Technology and Microsoft® Hyper-V™ System Compatibility Check Utility when you run this it will tell you if your machine supports Hyper-V…  If you are buying a new machine a good rule of thumb is that if it’s a Quad core the CPU supports AMD-V, you still need to verify the BIOS will allow you to enable it but a quick call to the vendor should tell you that.

For Intel you download there Intel® Processor Identification Utility  There are two things that you should check on the CPU Technologies tab look for "Intel® Virtualization Technology” and on the CPUID tab look for “Execute Disable Bit”, however I am not aware of any Virtualization enabled chips that don’t have execute disable… If you are buying a new machine a good rule of thumb is that if it’s a Intel Core2 or better the CPU supports Intel VT, you still need to verify the BIOS will allow you to enable it but a quick call to the vendor should tell you that.

image image

Previously I had referenced Intel’s WinTestCPUID. thanks to “MSC” who commented with this much better tool!

Enabling VT and AMD-V In System BIOS

Both platforms have BIOS options to disable and enable virtualiztion extensions.  Most systems will ship with the extensions disabled to help prevent hyper-virus’s (think of the worst root kit possible).  In any case you will need to enable the extensions every vendor has there own idea of where to but the option in the BISO so you might have to look around a bit.  I have seen them in security, processor features, system options, advanced options, advanced CPU options…  Just look for Virtualization/VT/EM64T/AMD-V/SVM, also some vendors do a nice double negative so the option will be something like AMD-V Extension Disable with a value of Yes – yes they are disabled…  After you enable the virtualization extensions  you need to do a hard reboot, i.e. power the system all the way off and back on – just make sure you actually save your BIOS settings first.

Taylor Brown
Hyper-V Integration Test Lead

1. MSC says:

The WinTestCPUID does not properly show whether the CPU will support Intel-VT. My CPU is a E4500; it will support NX and EM64T, but it does not support Intel-VT.

The better tool is Intel Processor Identification Utility, which is available at:

Check on the second tab – CPU Technologies – whether there is a "yes" besides "Intel(R) Virtualization Technology".

MCP, MCSA: Security

2. U zadnje vrijeme sam imao podosta obaveza pa ne stigoh osvjeziti blog novostima, stoga slijedi izvjestaj

3. mmm says:

"E4300 (and probably E4400) does not include Intel’s Virtualization Technology",

but it has `Execute Disable Bit’.

4. Hyper-v says:

5. Thank you!  You just saved me from spending $600 on upgrading me media server.

I knew my Pentium D 930 (Dual Core, 3Ghz) supported Intel Virtual Technology, but I did not know if that was Hyper-V.  Mainly because the newer processors (such as the Quad Core I was looking at) says it supported "Hyper V", but I did not see Hyper-V listed as supported under my processor.

But your post help clarify that my processor that supports "Intel Virtualization Technology" does indeed support Hyper-V.

Thank you!

6. Exotic Hadron says:

The thing is both the CPU and the motherboard’s chipset could support the VT-D and XD (execute disable bit) (in case of Intel PC) but the PC manufacturer may be that unprofessional (that is to say politely) to not implement control for these technologies in BIOS.

I am running the brand new Acer 8930 and Intel CPUID shows that both the technologies are supported on my PC. But I can’t run Hyper-V on this PC as I get the

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Hypervisor

Date:          11/30/2008 8:22:12 PM

Event ID:      32

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Server7

Hyper-V launch failed; at least one of the processors in the system does not appear to provide a virtualization platform supported by the hypervisor

when I try to connect with Hyper-V Manager to my Hyper-V role PC.

I would like to hear that it is me who is unprofessional to configure the BIOS properly. But for the time being I can’t seem to proove it.

7. Gary Clarke says:

I have the same problem – bought 2 Apsire 8930G Laptops – fantastic machines apart from a stupid BIOS – I would love to throttle the engineer who designed this. I find it amazing that Acer have decided to handicap the machine in this way – It’s like buying a sports car which you know has the BMW V10 engine in (the same as in the M5) then discovering after you have purchased it,  that you do not have the button which can switch it from 400 bhp to 500 bhp.Also their support team are useless and have no understanding of Virtualisation technologies. Does anyone know how to hack an Insyde BIOS please?

8. A while ago Microsoft announced to make the release of Windows Server 2008 R2 and further Windows Server

9. stefano says:

i have the same problem with acer8930g. The bios not permit to activate the VT feature (????). Anyone has discover a workaround? My problem is that i want to install a 64bit guest SO on 32bit host with virtualbox 2.1.4. and this is permitted only if this technology is enable.

many thanks

10. One of the new and interesting features in the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC), mentioned a few days

11. Peterhuang says:

According to the Windows Virtual PC Tips, the workaround I knew is to disable "TXT" when VT enabled. is there any update or fix can make both work simultaneously?

-Windows Virtual PC Tips

Peter 7/16

12. Hadi says:

After enabling Hyper-V role, Intel Identification utility recognizes virtualization technology as disabled that BIOS shows enabled?!(VMs work fine) If you disable the Virtualization Technology in the BIOS, Intel Identification utility says enabled?! Before adding Hyper-V role everthing works fine!

13. Xavi says:

"however I am not aware of any Virtualization enabled chips that don’t have execute disable…"

Well, my Intel Xeon 5160 has Hyper-V Technology enabled, but does't have  Execute Disable Bit. I am still wondering if there is a workaround to use Hyper-V!

14. Xavi,

The 5160 does support Execute Disable (see XD-bit support at http://www.intel.com/…/index.htm).  Typically not seeing this option is the bios is an emission by the BIOS manufacture – you should see if there is a bios update for your system/motherboard and/or contact the manufacture.

Taylor Brown

15. WillC says:

In your last paragraph Enabling VT and AMD-V … but the option in the BISO

Did you mean BIOS here?

16. D'Arcy from Winnipeg says:

For anyone that's looking for the AMD Hyper-V utility, it's moved since this article was first published. It's now available at:

17. Urquhart says:

Hi Taylor, I had intel verify my processor supports Intel Virtualization Techology (although the Intel Processor ID Utility says no). When I initiate Hyper-V manager and create a new virtual machine, then click Connect and then start it just sits there with "connection to vmmachine" on the screen? The manager shows a login screen

on the bottom pane. Have you ever seen that issue? Thanks!

18. Urquhart,

If the role installed that means you passed the majority of the checks.  I would check the event log specifically the Hyper-V Worker Process and Hyper-V VMMS folders to see if there are errors being logged.

19. mike kelley says:

The processor needs an upgrade as I can tell. http://www.spectra.com/…/index.htm