For those of you interested in building an Windows Phone app or putting the finishing touches on your Windows Phone applications Let me offer a little assistance so you can make a SPLASH and become the Big App on Campus and Win some COOL PRIZES. Check out my blog for more details on the contest.
I am providing a LOT of Windows Phone Resources below, but I have outlined them in such a way that you should be able to pick and choose what resources are best needed to assist in completing your first app or apps.
As always if you want to have a Windows Phone 7 appLab (Hands-On Windows Phone Coding & Learning Session) on YOUR Campus.
Email me directly to get it started.
WARNING…this is rather LONG, but if you are build a Windows Phone app or Game these resources are Worth IT!
Windows Phone 7 Resources – Getting Started:
- Windows Phone for Absolute Beginners Series:For true beginners https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Phone-7-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners/Series-Introduction
- Windows Phone Development Quick Starts: Code Walkthroughs & samples of the dev. features/scenarios for creating Windows Phone applications: http://create.msdn.com/en-us/education/quickstarts
- Create your first Game for Windows Phone:Code Walkthrough for building a simple game on Windows Phone: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff472340(v=VS.92).aspx
- Developing a Windows Phone Application from Start to Finish Walkthrough: Complete walkthrough with downloadable companion application full code solution for those who want to see what steps were taking to complete this app and follow along with code: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680270(v=PandP.11).aspx
- Getting Started with MVVM: Students that attended the appLabs are aware of the Model-View-View Model pattern that we implemented when building our Twitter app, but this link provides good practice for those who are not aware of this pattern: http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2009/12/08/getting-started-with-the-mvvm-pattern-in-silverlight-applications.aspx
Code Samples for Common Tasks:
Panorama/Pivot View Sample:
- Instructions/Pivot: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff941123(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Panorama: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff941092(v=VS.92).aspx
- Code: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=229124
Location Service/GPS Sample:
- Instructions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff431782(v=VS.92).aspx
- Code: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=229128
Use Sensor Data Sample (Accelerometer/Gyroscope/Compass:
- Instructions/Accelerometer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff431810(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Gyroscope: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202943(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Compass: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202974(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Combined: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202984(v=VS.92).aspx
- Code: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=219085
Process and Use RSS Feeds in Win Phone:
- Instructions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh487167(v=VS.92).aspx
- Code: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=229151
- NOTE: If a student attended an appLab, a simpler example is Twitter app built during lab also showing MVVM.
Isolated Storage (3 Scenarios):
- Instructions/Settings Page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff769510(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Files & Folders: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff626519(v=VS.92).aspx
- Instructions/Relational Data (non-MVVM): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202876(v=VS.92).aspx
Local Database App w/MVVM for Win Phone:
AD Control Sample: For those students who want to make money on their Phone app via including advertising in their apps:
- AD Control Explanation/Walkthrough: Instructions/Using Visual Studio Designer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/advertising-mobile-windows-phone-7-visual-studio-designer(v=MSADS.20).aspx
- Instructions/Using Silverlight Ad API for WP: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/advertising-mobile-windows-phone-7-silverlight-adcontrol-csharp(v=MSADS.20).aspx
- Instructions/Using XNA Ad API (Win Phone Game): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/advertising-mobile-windows-phone-7-xna-api(v=MSADS.20).aspx
- Code: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=229112