This guidance helps architects and developers design, build, test, deploy and upgrade SharePoint intranet applications. A reference implementation that is named the Contoso Training Management application demonstrates solutions to common architectural, development, and application lifecycle management challenges.
This guidance discusses the following:
- Architectural decisions about patterns, feature factoring, and packaging.
- Design tradeoffs for common decisions many developers encounter, such as when to use SharePoint lists or a database to store information.
- Implementation examples that are demonstrated in the Training Management application and in the QuickStarts.
- How to design for testability, create unit tests, and run continuous integration.
- How to set up different environments including the development, build, test, staging, and production environments.
- How to manage the application life cycle through development, test, deployment, and upgrading.
- Team-based intranet application development.
The following areas are not discussed in the current version of this guidance:
- Content-oriented sites that use Web content management
- Internet and enterprise-scale SharePoint applications
- Multilingual SharePoint applications
- Scale or security testing of SharePoint applications
- Cheers, download, read, learn, yea!