Ice Cube’s UVNTV.com Goes Live with Silverlight

Two weeks ago, I went down to Hollywood to meet with a very exciting team who is creating a TV experience on the web using Silverlight.  Musician/Actor Ice Cube and his team talk about the web site in a short video that I recorded at Ice Cube’s CubeVision Production Company office.  If you watch the video, you’ll see my boss Carlos McKinley there wearing the white shirt. Here’s the video clip that I uploaded to video.msn.com.

Ice Cube's UVNTV.com goes live with Microsoft Silverlight
Ice Cube’s UVNTV.com goes live with Microsoft Silverlight

I also created a Silverlight application using Expression Encoder and Expression Blend with a HD-quality version of the video (1280×720 24p 4kbs) and uploaded it to the Silverlight Streaming site.

You can put the video on your page with this HTML:

<iframe src="http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/216/UVNTV/iframe.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="width:800px; height:600px"></iframe>

You can also open the link directly to the Silverlight Streaming video at http://silverlight.services.live.com/invoke/216/UVNTV/iframe.html and it will fill the browser area.

1. Two weeks ago, I went down to Hollywood to meet with a very exciting team who is creating a TV experience

2. Garry Trinder says:

*speechless*

Scott Barnes

RIA Evangelist

Microsoft.

3. TimWeb says:

Ice Cube Likes Silverlight So It’s Good Enough For Me

4. Mike Downey says:

Hi –

Congratulations on building one of the first Silverlight sites.

Just wanted to let you know that all of the audio in your Silverlight video is out-of-synch with the video.

Also, in order to view the video I had to leave your site via a link out to microsoft.com, download a 4.7MB Silverlight update installer (Mac) to my desktop, hide my browser and find the DMG, double-click the DMG to unpack it, double-click the installer, click through the installer, and restart my browser – losing the page that I wanted to watch in the first place.

Flash Player updates through the old version of the Flash Player and doesn’t require leaving the page or finding downloaded files (Mac, Windows, and Linux). The user just has to click to get the updated player. Just wanted to let you know.

Oh, and Flash Player 9.1 adds h.264 support and superior quality video that goes up to 1080p HD. VP6 already does this but h.264 newer and sexier. 🙂

Thanks,

MD

Mike Downey | Adobe Systems | mdowney@adobe.com

5. Synergist says:

Mike,

Thanks for the congratulations, but I should redirect it to the team at UVNTV.com.  I’ve just been there to answer their questions and help them understand best practices around using Silverlight.

Your constructive criticism is great and I’ve already sent it on to the Silverlight team.  I’ve not seen the sync issue with video, having watched it many times, but I’ve only seen it on my Windows Vista system.  Luckily I’ve ordered a Macbook which should arrive on Friday.  Then I can see if I see the sync problem as well and I am eager to reproduce the convoluted install experience that you had.

As far as I know, the plug-in install is typical of any initial plug-in install.  The Silverlight plug-in has auto-updating built-in (you can switch it to manual-update by right-clicking on the plug-in) so once you have it installed you will get a similar updating experience to the Flash plug-in.

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving.

Michael

6. Synergist says:

As you can see, I have been experimenting with posting video on my blog now that I have a HD Video Camera

7. Garry Trinder says:

I tried to replicate the same experience MD had with both my MacBook Pro and iMac and *shrug* never came up?

MD: I think it’s great Adobe are supporting Silverlight through installation, shows that we can all rise above this red team vs blue team and move forward. This is encouraging to see!

Scott Barnes

RIA Evangelist

Microsoft.

8. Mike Downey says:

Hi, Scott –

I know you love to turn every discussion into "red vs. blue" to distract from the actual conversation, but it’s just not the case here. It looks like a cool site – and I’m happy that it’s working for UNTV.com. My description of the install process was 100% accurate. I did it from Firefox on Mac OS X 10.5 running the first final release of Silverlight (not a clean install, which I would expect to download a DMG for).

If I get some free time I’ll do a screen capture and post it to my blog.

Go Red Team!

Regards,

MD

Mike Downey | Adobe Systems | mdowney@adobe.com

9. Synergist says:

Woah guys!

I don’t want to have to watch this thread during my Thanksgiving break.

Mike, our team is already looking at the install experience that you reported; than you.  I’d love to see the screen captures; you have my email if you want to send them.  If you had the final release of Silverlight, you shouldn’t have needed to download anything else.  I’d love to follow up with you on this but I understand if you can’t.

Scott,

Mike is helping us make Silverlight better by pointing out problems he is experiencing.  Let’s welcome that as a challenge to help the product team improve the Silverlight experience.

Thanks,

Michael

10. Garry Trinder says:

Folks,

Wasn’t disputing Mike’s agenda 🙂 I just noticed it didn’t replicate my way so i’m not sure what the deal is (ie tried in on both Macs so… *shrug* I’m interested in seeing it aswell).

Secondly, Red vs Blue team thing is more to do with how encouraging it is to see that Adobe staffers are installing Silverlight. Shows that we are all enjoying each others experiences.

Time to reduce the politics radar down a bit me thinks 😉 can’t even pass compliments now 🙂

Scott Barnes

RIA Evangelist

Microsoft.

11. Synergist says:

I just added an animated "Press Play" graphic to the Silverlight Media Player created with Expression

12. Synergist says:

Mike Downey, Group Manager of Platform Evangelism at Adobe Systems, wrote a comment to my blog post about

13. timheuer says:

i don’t know what it is about mac’s, maybe it is the plugin architecture or something, but adobe’s installer isn’t any better really (see: http://screencast.com/t/aBSDScaTKEC).  both installers required FF to be restarted (which follows the same concept of any other FF plugin downloaded actually).  granted flash is a bit ubiquitous :-), but still, the base install experience is the same really.  in fact, adobe required me to close my browser before even continuing.  maybe someone who is knowledgeable with mac programming and this topic specifically could shet light on to why both adobe and microsoft had to use this route for the mac — especially when it is clearly different for the x86 platforms.

14. I spent several years in the early 2000’s working on Microsoft’s overall TV strategy in line with our

15. Larry Larsen says:

Taking the win for the last thing I expected to see in my Inbox this morning,

16. Peter Strømberg says:

I get instructed to download the player, which then refuses to install as a newer version is already installed. Any ideas? (Windows XP)

Any reason why they use Flash for the rest of UVNTV?

17. Synergist says:

Peter,

I haven’t seen the installer issue but I’ll look into it.

They are using Flash for the rest of the site because it does the job.  All of the ad content they are getting is in Flash and it’s not video.  They decided to start using Silverlight for their video content; it’s a first step.

Thanks,

Michael

18. Spanky Winkerbean says:

Funny how you never see anyone from Microsoft Paranoically monitoring someone else’s blog for hints of a competitive product.

Mike D., I’m nominating you for the "Confrontational Assmaster" award. Get a life and get a job, I’m sure Adobe’s shareholders pay you to do something other than affront people on blogs. If you spent as much time perfecting your own product as you do bitching about others, you wouldn’t have any competition to bitch to.

19. Synergist says:

Spanky,

I don’t think that Mike was monitoring my blog previously to me posting this video.  By watching the traffic on the blog, I _do_ think that it has been circulated widely among the Rich Interactive Application space.  Mike is an evangelist and to do his job he probably has competitive search RSS feeds set up to monitor what is being said about competitive products in the blogosphere.  When Ice Cube makes a statement like "Flash is outa here!" and sees his team talking abou how easy it was to convert the site’s video from Flash to Silverlight, that would obviously get Adobe’s attention.

Michael

20. CodeJedi.NET says:

Just read a post by Michael Scherotter about http://uvntv.com – basically this is a new video for the

21. Larry Larsen says:

Taking the win for the last thing I expected to see in my Inbox this morning,

22. Crossbar says:

23. While it might be hard to believe that Silverlight has only been o n the market since September and it

24. While it might be hard to believe that Silverlight has only been on the market since September and it

25. Synergist says:

Check out the article in today’s USA Today (is that redundant?) about Ice Cube’s UVNTV.com . It has been

26. This is awesome! "Internet TV coming at you at UVN!" (with Silverlight). IceCube is the co-founder of

27. This is awesome! &quot;Internet TV coming at you at UVN!&quot; (with Silverlight). Ice Cube is the co

28. I&#39;ll cut to the chase on this one. Seem&#39;s Mike Downey at Adobe suffers from Silverlight related

29. Jeremy Sharp says:

Michael… Nice, your living the dream…

30. Synergist says:

I have been browsing through the Zune desktop software that I installed with my new Zune that I wanted

31. This is awesome! &quot;Internet TV coming at you at UVN!&quot; (with Silverlight). Ice Cube is the co

32. This should be a really good time. The guys from iStreamPlanet, Mark East, Billy Peters and Randy Levine are experts in the field and I expect this show to go really well.

Team SilverLight those Adobe folk are just trying to get your blood pressure up. 🙂

See you all there tonight. WHAT TIME DOES CUBE GO ON?

33. Two weeks ago, I went down to Hollywood to meet with a very exciting team who is creating a TV experience on the web using Silverlight. Musician/Actor Ice Cube and his team talk about the web site in a short video that I recorded at Ice Cube’s CubeVisio

34. ERICBRUCE says:

I tried to reach you but i couldnt,pls text me,i tried to watch your latest videos which you perform last two weeks but it wasnt available.I love u soo much,have a nice day.MORE BLESSINGS

35. Computer Repair says:

Interesting post, thanks for a good read!

36. Intel Burn Test says:

I really like the idea of combining several concepts into one. Hoping for more like this in the future.

37. trojan.vundo.h says:

It is a major problem, glad to of found a solution. Thanks.

Skip to main content