One of the things that I have learned over my career is that "one thing leads to another" and your life is a series of linked events in a chain. If you are unwilling to follow your heart you often cannot see the next link in the chain. My life has had this chain:
- Computer Geek
- Architecture Student
- Architecture/Computer Graduate Student
- CAD software developer
- CAD software architect
- Software development manager
- Business solutions architect
- Technical Evangelist
This was at a macro scale, but I like to change scale and see the micro scale of the chain of everyday activities that takes place for me in my role as a new Developer Evangelist at Microsoft:
- Start a Blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/Synergist.
- Get an email about the blog from Blake Handler, an MVP.
- Go to his website, The Road to Know Where and see that he works for CBS radio he has a list of radio stations on his site.
- I start thinking that an internet radio tuner would be a cool Windows Vista Sidebar Gadget.
- Send him an email introducing myself and asking about what he does.
- Independenly Blake sends me an email saying it would be great to have a sidebar gadget with the CBS radio stations on it - we are on the same page!
- I spend a few hours to create my first gadget which I will post shortly:
- What will be the next link in this chain?
The gadget is now on the Windows Live Gallery!