You probably have heard about SyncToy already and might have tried it before. Well, if not, you should. Let me tell you why this tool is among the top fifty downloads from Microsoft: it is simple, elegant, and very very useful. It allows you to easily copy, move, rename, and delete files between folders, computers, USB thumb drives and more. Another thing, that you might not know this time, is that the team who brought the Microsoft Sync Framework to you is the same team who builds SyncToy, my team! Do you need more reasons why it is so cool? Hmm, I don’t think so …:)
Recently, we released the beta of SyncToy 2.0 with a lot of enhancements; here is a quick rundown of what is new:
- Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.
- True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.
- Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.
- Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).
- Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addressed issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.
- Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.
- Command line enhancements: Added the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.
- The SyncToy engine has been re-architected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.
- Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.
- Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.
- 64-Bit compatibility
- Folder pair rename
- Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents creates under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded.
- Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from My Documents to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.
- Removed combine and subscribe actions.
Go ahead, give it a try, download SyncToy 2.0 Beta now!
I am not actively blogging about Sync Technologies. Please see Sync Team Blog for more updated content.