While it has been 3+ years since we last announced an update to SQL Data Sync service, we have been continuously deploying updates to the backend service to address top customer issues. We are listening to your feedback, and today we are happy to announce the latest update which includes both service changes and a new SQL Data Sync agent install. This update includes two main enhancements:
- Support for synchronizing tables that have column collations:
- If the selected sync schema tables do not already exist in your hub or member databases, upon deploying the sync group, SQL Data Sync will automatically create corresponding tables and columns in the empty database with the same collation settings as the select sync schema.
- If the tables to-be-synced are already created in both hub and member databases, SQL Data Sync requires the primary key columns have the same collation between hub/member databases to successfully deploy the sync group. There is no collation restriction on the non-primary key columns.
- We enhanced batch transfer of serialized changes from source to destination, so you should see faster sync throughput.
- We improved transient error handling logic when reading from the source or writing to the destination.
The new version of SQL Data Sync agent in the download center. Please follow the step-by-step instructions here to install a new Data Sync agent. If you have an existing agent, you can refer to this MSDN article for detailed upgrade procedures. A previous version of Data Sync agent will continue to work until it expires on 8/18/2015.