We are pleased to announce the availability of SQL Azure Data Sync Preview. The Preview does not require a registration code and is available to anyone who has a SQL Azure account.
Improvements for the Preview release include:
- Now hosted on the Windows Azure Management site – https://windows.azure.com.
- A completely redesigned UI which makes performing common tasks easy, straight-forward and intuitive. The UI includes tutorials and Help within the UI.
- Richer sync group configuration options:
- Synchronization schedules from 5 minutes to 1 month, and anywhere in between.
- Settable conflict resolution policy.
- More granular definition of synchronization data sets – down to the table and row level.
- Synchronization direction selectable for each database.
Unfortunately we have not been able to add the functionality to update sync group configuration when the schema changes. We intend to add this functionality in a future service release.
During the Preview, like the previous CTPs, using the service is free – though there are the normal Windows Azure and SQL Azure charges. Pricing for the production version has not yet been announced.
Data Sync Preview is not backwardly compatible with CTP2. If you are upgrading from CTP2 you need to remove all databases from the CTP2 sync groups, de-provision each database using deprov.exe, delete all CTP2 sync groups, and uninstall the CTP2 client agent.
The CTP2 site will be taken down in a few weeks. The sooner you upgrade the better.
For More Information
Check out the SQL Azure Data Sync post on Windows Azure blog.
Other sites you may want to check out
- Windows Azure Management Portal.
- Documentation for the Preview on the SQL Azure Data Sync TechNet wiki.
- Client Agent Preview download.
- Suggest or vote for new features on the Feature Voting Forum.
- Ask questions using the SQL Azure MSDN Forum.
- Log a bug at the SQL Server and SQL Azure Connect site.
Give it a try. We think you will like it.