I have updated the Hands-On Lab “Silverlight 4 Line of Business Application using WCF RIA Services ” to work with the RTM version of VS2010 and SL 4 and WCF RIA Services 1.0.
In this 99 page hands-on lab you will learn how to use Visual Studio 2010 and Microsoft Silverlight 4 to create a data driven line of business style rich internet application that implements many of the new features that Silverlight 4 introduces. We will base our solution on the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) RIA Services 1.0.
The solution will be an order-management system that shows a list of orders in a data grid and details of a selected order in a details pane. The system will validate user entries and have the capabilities of printing order reports and exporting order lists to Microsoft Excel.
These features are implemented in the lab:
- True multi-tier architecture.
- Entity framework and service layer definition.
- Data filtering, paging, sorting and grouping.
- Data modification and validation.
- Foreign key management.
- Programmatic printing from a Silverlight application.
- COM interop with Microsoft Excel and running full-trust out-of-browser.
The hands-on lab manual has detailed instructions on installing all the prerequisites.