[July 2010: The lab has been updated in order to reflect RTM changes –> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/swiss_dpe_team/archive/2010/08/03/hands-on-lab-silverlight-4-line-of-business-application-using-wcf-ria-services-now-updated-to-reflect-rtm-changes.aspx ]
After building this lab from the ground and running it successfully in three classes last week, we are now ready to publish it.
In this 108 page hands-on lab you will learn how to use Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2010 and Beta 1 of Microsoft Silverlight 4 to create a data driven line of business style rich internet application that implements many of the new features that Silverlight 4 introduces. We will base our solution on the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) RIA Services.
The solution will be an order-management system that shows a list of orders in a data grid and details of a selected order in a details pane. The system will validate user entries and have the capabilities of printing order reports and exporting order lists to Microsoft Excel.
These features are implemented in the lab:
- True multi-tier architecture.
- Entity framework and service layer definition.
- Data filtering, paging, sorting and grouping.
- Data modification and validation.
- Foreign key management.
- Programmatic printing from a Silverlight application.
- COM interop with Microsoft Excel and running full-trust out-of-browser.
The following are the system requirements needed to complete the hands-on lab. The links point to the download location of the product or a trial version.
- One of the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 – all editions except Starter Edition
- Windows XP (x64) with Service Pack 2 – all editions except Starter Edition
- Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 1 – all editions except Starter Edition
- Windows 7 (x86 and x64) (download trial)
- Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
- Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 Professional
- SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
- Silverlight 4 Beta 1 Tools for Visual Studio 2010
- Silverlight 4 Beta Toolkit November 2009
The hands-on lab manual has detailed instructions on installing all the prerequisites.