PowerApps is a great new product from Microsoft which lets you quickly create Apps on web and mobile without writing code!
Learn more at: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/
In this blog, we take a look at how we can create a simple App using PowerApps. The App lists all the items in our Dynamics 365 for Financials showing item inventory, price and other info.
Setup in Dynamics 365 for Financials:
In web services page, make sure the Page 31 (Item List) is published. Copy the OData URL.
From User Card page, copy the Web Service Access key of an admin user. If this key is not already generated, generate one in the same page.
Connecting to Data and creating the App with PowerApps:
- Sign up for PowerApps at https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/
- Click on New app (Left bottom of the screen) and choose PowerApps Studio for web (PowerApps Studio for Windows is an application which you can install and use to build the Apps)
- In the next window, under start with your data, select Dynamics 365 for Financials. Click on the Right Allow (–>) and click on New connection to find Dynamics 365 for Financials. Enter the details from Dynamics 365 for Financials as shown below and click on Connect
- Once the connection is successful, choose the default dataset.
- The PowerApps will identify all the Odata web services that are published in Dynamics 365 for Financials. Choose the Items from the list and click on connect.
- Once we connect to our data, PowerApps opens the App designer window and also automatically creates a sample App using your Item list in Dynamics 365 for Financials.
- Next, we’ll have to modify/design this app to: Select a more suitable layout, Select relevant fields, Change the font style, size, color etc, use a good theme etc.. The below video shows the rest of the process of designing this App:
This is an illustration of creating a very simple App using PowerApps. There is much more that we can do! Learn more about designing an App at: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/getting-started/
To Access your App on phone, Install PowerApps application and sign in with your PowerApps credentials.