Reporting in Team Foundation Server – Part 7: Excel Reports from Work Item Queries

In my last post in this series, I covered the new SQL RS reports we have in TFS 2010. Let’s look at a cool new feature for generating a report in Microsoft Excel based on a work item query.

• Walkthroughs for out-of-the-box experience including customizations
    • SharePoint Dashboard
    • Rich SQL Reporting Services Reports
    • Excel Reports from Work Item Queries
  • Custom report authoring tools and walkthroughs
  • An overview of the reporting architecture

I know how to get this list of results using a work item query:

image

But, I want a chart like these without having to ask my developers:

image image

Let’s look at how to get this done in TFS 2010:

image

Perfect – a cool report generated with just a few mouse clicks! Now, let’s backup and see how this works.

First, I ran a query to get Active Tasks in my project showing Assigned To, Remaining Work, Completed Work etc. in my query results:

image

In the new menu bar that’s on the query results window, I have a new option to create a report in Excel:

image

The work item query is translated to figure out the reports that can be generated and I get report options based on columns included in my work item query. I have the option to generate Current as well as Trend reports.

image

Let’s pick current and trend reports for remaining work by assignment:

image

The selected reports are generated:

Current report:

and Trend report:

image

Now, that was super easy! The first worksheet generated includes a useful table of contents with links to reports:

image

The reports that are generated are not static and can be modified so it is very powerful. Let’s say I want to make some simple adjustments to the current report so it’s a bar chart and also tweak some colors. I can just as easily tweak the Team Project filter to make it a cross project report or drag additional fields like Completed Work to show more information.

image

Similar to what we saw in my previous posts, I can easily publish this report to my team dashboard to share this with my team. I can use the Excel Services Options button to publish the entire workbook or specific charts. I’ll publish the customized report to the Excel Reports document library like the out-of-the-box Excel reports shown on the MOSS dashboard.

image

Then, I all have to do is use standard SharePoint functionality to edit my team dashboard, add an Excel Web Access web part to display the report from my newly published workbook:

image

So, it was easy to go from here…

to here:

image

In the next topic I’ll cover custom reporting including walkthroughs for tools of choice. If you have questions or feedback please leave me a comment or send me an email at sunder.raman at microsoft.com

1. Roy Dictus says:

Great post Sunder, and absolutely a convincing argument for using TFS at companies that already use SharePoint. I think it would be hard to persuade a company that does not use SP yet to purchase it (and the CALs) just for TFS, but that’s another discussion.

I noticed, BTW, that most of these images don’t show up while loading in IE8 and Chrome (the only browsers I use), but when I click on an image, I do get it.

Maybe it would help if the article was divided into pages?

2. Sunder Raman says:

Thanks, Roy. I understand your point on persuading companies that don’t use SP. Though we don’t have it in the box, based on the team dashboard topic I posted you can see how straightforward it will be to create a cross-project or cross-collection stakeholder dashboard that brings a lot of power and visibility which has a compelling case for using SharePoint with TFS. One could still argue that they can get the same report written in SSRS or in Excel – but the convenience of going to a web portal to get a quick look at the health of a project is powerful. I’ll try and write up a separate post on cross project dashboard once I am done with this series.

On the images, I am surprised to hear that the images aren’t loading in IE8. I checked it out on IE8 and Firefox and they load inline as I intended it to be. I haven’t tried Chrome though. Can you try ctrl+F5 to force loading the page afresh and see if that helps? I’ll try breaking up the post into pages. I’m also planning to post a PowerPoint deck on the whole series.

Sunder

3. Hi Sunder,

I really like the new reports. But, I don’t see them in the process template editor.

Can you reference me to some procedures for customizing the templates for these reports? This is needed so that the reports don’t have to be customized for every team project that gets created.

Thanks!

4. Sunder Raman says:

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, Excel reports cannot be customized in the Process Template Editor yet. We are working on a whitepaper for customizing Excel reports in the templates and hope to publish this soon after RTM. I’ll post a link to the paper on my blog once we have it ready.

Sunder

5. Ross Johnston says:

Hi Sunder, this is great stuff! Please keep it coming. I’m working on a project this year to roll this functionality out to all our TFS users. Info like this really help with both my understanding but also being able to sell the value proposition to my managers. Thanks!

6. Sunder Raman says:

It’s great to hear the feedback. Thanks, Ross.

7. Bill says:

Is there a way to show (from a Release perspective) a report showing overlap across multiple projects?  Example:  4 separate agile projects vying for the same release date to production showing their status based on estimated complete vs remaining work?….in one report?

8. Sunder Raman says:

Hi Bill,

Yes, it is possible to build a cross project report. While we don’t have any out-of-the-box reports or dashboards showcasing cross project reports, they are easy to build or tweak one of the existing reports to show data from multiple projects. The Team Project filter on the reports can be modified to select multiple projects. I hope to post a follow up article for doing that as well.

Sunder

9. Guy R says:

Hi Sunder,

Thanks for the descreptive post.

I tried to follow the instructions, but ran into a problem when an authorization dialog appeared during the process asking for User name and Password to Connect to Analysis Server. I tried verious credentials but with no success.

Can you guide me through how to pass this dialog?

Thanks!

10. Sunder Raman says:

Hi Guy.

I comepletely missed your comment as the notification didn't come in. You need to be part of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the Tfs_Analysis database for the connection to work. See msdn.microsoft.com/…/bb737953.aspx

Sunder

11. Leandro Prado says:

Hi Sunder, How are you??

I' am creating my custom excel report, but to add in my project portal not find the option "Excel Web Access Web Part"

I´am using TFS2010 and WSS3.0, how to add the feature Excel Web Access Web Part

12. Dean says:

Leandor, you will need to upgrad Sharepoint to the Enterprise editon of MOSS 2007 or SharePoint Server 2010 to get the Excel Web Access Web part. It is not available in your edition of SharePoint

13. David Au Yeung says:

Sunder, your information is very useful, thank you very much!

14. paul says:

The set of articles on reports has been incredibly helpful to me, thanks a lot!

15. Abdul says:

This informal is very useful to me. As I am quite new to TFS reporting, I am wondering if you can help me out making Variance report. I want to Display report as follows:

Team Project, Title, Assigned To, Start Date, Finish Date, Variance (Start Date – Finish Date), I will appreciate if you can share BIDS reporting example for this as well. I tried using BIDS but struggling to get Formula for Variance.

Appreciate your help on this.

16. Sri says:

I am new to TFS 2010 Dashboards. I recently configured Project Portal and was trying to add Web Parts. Only few Web Parts has been listed. How do i install "Business Data" and "Content roll-up" and other kind of web parts in TFS. Where i should download these web parts ?

Kindly help me on this. Thanks!

17. Maj says:

Is it possible to automate this using API/VS/SSRS ? I want  my teams to get these reports without me customizing manually for each team.

Thanks