Someone recently characterized for me one way leaders are evaluated. This certainly isn't the only way and it doesn't catch everything, but it is a good place to start. The list is succinct and the questions thought-provoking. Here is the list:
- Results – How is your day job going?
- Leadership – Who do you make better?
- Strategic Insight – How far out are you thinking? A few days? A few months? Several years?
- Scope – Who is changing because of you? Your team? Your group? The company? The industry?
- Sphere of Influence – Who is listening to you?
These are good questions to keep in mind when looking to advance one's career into leadership.