I have heard several Mac users talking very kindly about our new OS. This is encouraging as these are a bunch that are pre-inclined to view Vista in a negative light. Impressing them is a hard task. It appears that, at least in some cases, we have done that. Here's a sampling:
- Many of the commentators on TWiT had good things to say.
- Andy Ihnatko writes in MacUser about several features he thinks Microsoft got better than Apple. It's a quite entertaining read too.
- The Apple Blog also lists 9 features they want Apple to borrow from Microsoft. This one is more about XP than Vista though.
There are a few themes here. They seem to be:
- Voice recognition that works well.
- Aero Glass including the 3D wind-tab view, the live previews, and the bouncy windows.
- Media Center in every (premium) build
- Working search.
Of course, there are also a lot of contrarian reviews too.
While I'm on the subject, here are some of my top reasons to upgrade:
- User Access Controls & better security. You can be a non-admin and still get your work done.
- Search. Find everything on your system. Quickly.
- Better audio UI. Change volume for each application. No more annoying midi sounds or competing myspace pages.
- Aero Glass. Pretty.
- 64-bits. Because I'm a geek.
- DVD burning in Media Center. Now a way to archive the shows.
- Sidebar gadgets. On a widescreen monitor, set it to always on top. Very cool.