Recently I authored and published a few videos on the ConfigMgr team blog. Based on feedback and response from those videos I have published the remaining videos in the series. Check out the videos here.
From the ConfigMgr team blog post.
In January we presented a Software Update Video Tutorial series. This series hosted by Steven Rachui, was focused on the changes to software updates in Configuration Manager current branch. By popular demand we are adding another video tutorial for Office 365 updates. In this latest video Steven Rachui, a Principal Premier Field Engineer demonstrates configuring a deployment of O365 in Configuration Manager and then discusses the options available for delivering updates for that O365 installation using Configuration Manager 2012 and Configuration Manager current branch.
For people who are new to software updates or who want a refresher, Steven has made his Software Updates Foundations series available. The tutorials in the series are:
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part I – Introduction and Overview – This video begins a series detailing the Software Update component in ConfigMgr 2012. Discussion includes comparing differences between ConfigMgr 2007 and ConfigMgr 2012. Demonstrations also include a general walkthrough of Software Updates components in the console with brief explanation about each.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part II – Server Configuration – This video focuses on detailing the server-side components, including detailed discussion of the Software Update Point – including data flow and configuration options. Discussion then turns to configuring software updates for deploying, discussing strategies for using software update groups, creating deployment packages and automated deployment rules. The session concludes by reviewing the various client-side configurations that are implemented through site server settings.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part III – Server – Deep Dive – This video is a deep dive on the server side that investigates the back-end processing that happens when various administrative actions are taken in the console. Topics covered include the replication of software update metadata and content data. The session also discusses how information in the console is expressed in the database.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part IV – Client – This video focuses on the client experience when deploying software updates in several scenarios. Discussion centers around the client-oriented software update components and gives examples of basic and more advanced deployments to show the user experience.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part V – Client – Internals – This video is a deep dive into the process of software update scanning and installation. Demonstrations include a detailed look at the scanning process, a review of log files key to software update deployment and a look at a few key WMI namespaces involved in software update installation.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part VI – Monitoring Software Updates – This video focuses on monitoring software update deployment and compliance. Discussion includes the various nodes of the ConfigMgr console, the data available in each and briefly touches the various report options.
- ConfigMgr 2012 – Software Updates – Part VII – Automating Software Updates – This video focuses on opportunities to automate routine tasks in software updates. Specific demos and scripts show automation of software update group maintenance, deployments, maintenance of deployment packages and more.
We would love to hear your suggestions for topics for future series.