First look at the Visual Studio Orcas Sync Designer

Here’s part 1 of the new Sync Designer.  In this screen cast I walk through how to cache lookup tables locally.  In this screencast I use the 2 tier sync, starting simple.  In the next screencast I’ll show how to take the same designer, and split it across N tier to keep the intimate knowledge of the server, connection string, queries, passwords, etc. from the client.

Just as a note, this screencast shows an internal build of Visual Studio Orcas between the Feb CTP and Beta 1.

Steve

1. Byteabyte says:

Steve Lasker acaba de publicar un screencast sobre el nuevo motor de sincronización de datos para la

2. If you are looking at the Microsoft Sync Services which is likely to be part of Visual Studio Orcas you

3. Cool stuff gets attention from everyone! This is especially true with the Sync Designer in Orcas. The

4. RSS It All says:

5. In part 1 , I used the Visual Studio Orcas Sync Designer to configure and synchronize 3 lookup tables

6. I just saw that steve does a couple of very cool screen casts showing off how easy it will be for WinForms

7. Steve, the video’s are great (the WMV versions).  Your presentations are direct and get the technology concepts clearly presented.

The Live meeting versions however, are poor in that the slide builds don’t show in the stream.

Chance you have the decks somewhere else to download – also, sample code as well?

8. RajeshPR says:

Hi Steve..

Can I make use of Microsoft Synchronization Services on Windows Mobile 5.0 pocket pc project.

I tried to, but some of the sync classes wouldn’t work on the project. Is there any else that I should do or am I missing on some thing.

I need to perform sync action between the Windows Mobile data (SQL CE) and SQL Server 2005 database. (I don’t want to use publish/subscribe model, I want to use the ADO Sync services)

9. Steve Lasker says:

Hi Rajesh,

Glad to hear your interest.  Unfortunately we don’t yet have a CTP available for devices.  We have this working internally, and have designed it to run on devices, with the limited overloads and types of devices, but we just don’t have all the testing done.  Sync Services for Devices will be available post Orcas.  We’re still working out when and how, but unfortunately it won’t be “in” Orcas.

Hang in there with us, it’s coming…

Steve

10. Visual Studio vNext (aka Orcas) has a number of features that is set to make building occasionally connected

11. Too bad, I tought this could be a solution to our problems.

Is there anyway we could SyncServices working on .NET CF?

12. Steve Lasker says:

Hi Miguel,

Sync Services for devices is coming.  It will be shortly after Orcas ships, and I hope to make a commitment to exactly when soon.  But have no fear, this was always our intention, was designed from the beginning, is regularly compiled against the .NET CF to assure we’re not using missing overloads or types etc.  We’re simply working through the test matrix needed for the device platform.

Steve

13. Steve:

Orcas’ release date is closer now, is there an official release for SyncService’s .NET CF version?

We would be glad to test that in a project and give you feedback.

14. kclawrence@hotmail.com.hk says:

Steve:

Since VS2008 RTM by end of this month, I also looking forward to test and feeback this through my coming .NET CF data sync project.

15. stanley.broo@gbo.se says:

Hi! Is there any resource/tutorial/sample app including LINQ available.

I haven’t been able to find anything on LINQ to SQL classes together with Sync Services.

We’re using mergereplication on the SQL2005 server right now.

Would love to switch to an easier approach since we’re going to implement local datacahce on all our WPF client apps and take some load and traffic of the SQL2005 server when clients sorting, filtering and still using the most recent data available.

LINQ together with SyncService will allow us to stay flexible when new demands comes in from the customers.

Any tip on samples,tutorials,videos.. is appreciated.

rgds, Stanley

16. Steve Lasker says:

Hi Stanley,

This is exactly the type of scenarios we’ve targeted with Sync Services and SQLce.  Today, Sync Services and LINQ are separate technologies.  LINQ to SQL(ce) works over the local store.  Sync Services brings data from the server to the local store (SQLce).  So, you can use these together to get what you’re looking for, but they’re not “coupled”.  When LINQ doesn’t give you what you need, you can use DataSets, or even direct data access with the SqlCeResultSet.

There are docs for LINQ to SQL(ce).  The big difference is we don’t have designer support for LINQ to SQLce.  You’ll need to use the SQLMetal command line utility to generate the LINQ to SQL Classes.

Was there a particular place you were looking to use these technologies together?  Does this give you what you need?

Steve