Windows 7 is Done: RTM announced

Windows7_h_rgb

We just announced that Windows 7 is done – or in the industry terminology has Released to Manufacturing (RTM). So ends a journey that’s been fun to watch as Steven Sinofsky and his merry band have learnt the lessons from Vista and delivered a kick arse operating system. The news just broke simultaneously via presspass and the windowsteamblog – itself quite a breakthrough, announcing probably the biggest product in the history of the company via a blog!

I’m off to download the bits internally and upgrade my machines. The final geek kudos for Windows 7 is getting the RTM bits installed before you buddies. Sad but true. The final build number for Long and others is 7600.16385.090713-1255

image

Congrats to the team who delivered this – I imagine they’ll have a monster party and then the work begins to get it to OEM, in to stores and in to the market. I’d like to offer personal thanks to Brandon LeBlanc who has done an outstanding job in keeping the world up to date with what’s going on with releases, key decisions with the windowsteamblog.com. He has set a high bar for all our other product divisions and I hope once he’s done with a a few more posts today, he enjoys many beers.

That’s it….we’re done. Somebody inform Cupertino. Oh and expect another round of adverts now that 7 is officially ready.

1. Not Impressed says:

Sadly you guys went in the wrong direction with Windows 7. Instead of concentrating on performance, you quadrupled the bloat since XP. Watch out or Google is going to get you.

2. Impressed, Not Impressed is an idiot says:

Are you kidding? It runs faster in some cases than XP and worlds above Vista. you’re nuts if you dont think it doesn’t run well.

3. Lou says:

Not Impressed is a troll.

Windows 7 is better than XP in so many ways. It does run well and is definately not bloated.

4. Windows 7 is garbage. says:

I tried to install Windows 7 RC and RTM on my computers woho runs XP and Ubuntu 9.04 like a breeze (especially Ubuntu).

No matter what I tried in Bios settings, I allways got the classic Microsoft BSOD.

When I finally found a computer that managed to install this OS, I found out it’s bloated with 10 GB, compared with maximum 2 GB with XP.

Also many applications don’t work on Windows 7.

So I’ll stick with XP and Ubuntu.

5. stevecla01 says:

Windows 7 is garbage – it would be great if you posted under your own name but hey ho…

the apps that dont’ work – can you name them?

and the hardware you got BSOD on, we’d love to know so we can try to fix

thanks