MobileMe sneaks in to Vista

mobileme1
I was making some changes this week in Control Panel and my machine and could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that new entry at the bottom – Apple’s MobileMe. Where the hell did that come from? Where else…iTunes. I got prompted to install a new version of iTunes last week (I use Nike+) so given Apple uses iTunes for MobileMe I shouldn’t have been surprised.

Needless to say, I didn’t sign up :)

1. Jeff Lynch says:

Steve,

You should give it a try. Right now I’m syncing my Outlook 2007 contacts and calendar with my iPhone as well as my MacBook. Changes on one are reflected in all others. For those of us not (yet) using Exchange, it’s a great service for only $99 per year. And it’s really MSFT ActiveSync technology under the covers.

Jeff

2. Dave Kitson says:

It has been added in Windows XP Pro.

3. Amanda says:

I may never believes my eyes when seeing mobileme was one of the startup items….

4. Corvida says:

I wish I could uninstall the damn thing. I’m not going to use it at all.

5. Joe says:

Its been there ever since iTunes updated to 7.7 and I noticed it last week.

6. Jas Dhaliwal says:

This hacks me right off.

I’m no Apple hater, but please. Over the last year iTunes and Quicktime have annoyed me with the crapware which runs on startup. Then’s there was the rather naughty bundling of Safari for Windows with iTunes downloads and now stealth Mobile Me craplet install?

7. devo says:

Because only a few of us consumers really bother. Why do you think there’s a bunch of people with spyware and viruses on their pcs? Because they won’t bother, even if they knew about it. They should all be having a mac, really…

8. Devo, of course…you nailed it. lets all get mac’s and then see if the virus writers target that platform when it reaches widespread use.

9. Geir L K says:

Jeff, so what you’re saying is that one should pay $99 a year for a service that are really free for most of us? Atleast if you own a Windows Mobile and or newer Nokia phones.. If Apple charge you that much for doing the same thing, using the same protocol, then they’re screwing you!

Not good enough for me!

10. spiral says:

Geir L K  : what apple provides with mobileme is the server side… And I don’t think that neither Nokia nor MS provide it freely, so you’re telling crap…

With an iPhone (with OS 2.0) you can connect to Exchange freely in a way better way than what you have with a symbian or even WinMobile device… MobileMe is just there for people that don’t have exchange, or use it only at work & want a nice push alternative for their personal devices.

11. Could we get back to the "real" question: Why is Apple held to a "different standard" than other companies?

1) Mac fans have NO problem when Apple installs software like this without notice.

2) Mac fans were NOT “up in arms” when Apple began (stealthily) pushing their Safari web browser within a QuickTime update.

3) Mac fans have NO problem that Google is Apple’s “default” browser – with no convenient method of selecting an alternative browser.

Microsoft would be blasted in the media and blogs if they behaved in a similar manner.

Blake Handler

Microsoft MVP

"The Road to Know Where"

12. red.tee says:

@Blake Handler – Is that a rhetorical question?  Because the alternative question is also valid – why is MSFT held to a "different standard" than other companies?  And why would MSFT/Windows or Office "fans" are too paranoid even if they were fans of MSFT/Windows/Office…

@Steve – It was a long-time coming: Mac systems accelerating in terms of sales versus HP, Dell; Vista not as highly-received as MSFT wanted – and "we’d rather wait for the next one, thank you"; iPod, iPhone, iTunes… …; and of course, iTunes (and Safari) having crossed over to the ‘mainstream’ and into Windows OS.

13. Dev Singh says:

"Apple is getting more and more cocky these days.  Why oh why aren’t consumers rebelling against this?  "

I agree on the cockyness, but where is the rebelling against Vista ?  Cuz Vista really is annoyoing for LOTS pf people.

14. thor says:

Really is that a big problem. Was it to much for your brain to comprehend. Are you really so nazy about your VISTA CONTROL PANEL. Why is not anyone angry at symantec or nvidia who adds their little pesky buttons in the holy windows control panel.

15. Mike Galos says:

Thor, the difference between Apple installing a MobileMe control panel and Symantec or nVidia doing it is they don’t do it for software you don’t actually have.

The MobileMe ad gets installed in your Control Panel even if you have no possible interest in Mobile Me. And that’s pretty much the definition of Malware.

16. Jeremie says:

no way am i gonna pay for something that works better elsewhere for free

17. Troy says:

So please, before you post some anti-Apple diatrab, do your homework. I ran Windows for 15 years, still do on my other partition. You won’t find me trashing Windows without proof, so don’t do the same about Apple. Keep your pro-MS  thoughts in perspective and balance and stick to facts.

18. Cato says:

If it bothers you so much, then why are you using iTunes in the first place, and where else would the MobileMe service be installed?

It’s a sync service just like Microsofts ActiveSync, so it is only logical that it’s installed in the Control Panel. If you choose to use it or not is up to you. No one is forcing you.

If the added services included in iTunes bother you so much, but you still have to use iTunes, do the following:

Get WinRar from Rarsoft.com. Once you’ve downloaded iTunes, rightclick the installer package and choose "Unpack to …".

Run the installer packages you want to add, instead of running the whole compilation to boot.

I have to agree with Troy though. Your Pro-MS Con-Apple attitude is shining a bit bright in your blog post.

19. cato if you read the post you’d realise that I use iTunes as I use Nike+

Where else would MobileMe be installed? how about outside of iTunes? if it’s that tied to iTunes why don’t I manage it through there like I do with my Nike+ setup?

the point is, this is installing software on my system I never asked for and it’s not akin to ActiveSync. *if* ActiveSync was included with Windows Media Player (or even included with Windows) I would agree with you – the point it, it’s not.

As for my pro MS con Apple attitude, I hope you read my blog more often and I think you’ll find I’m pretty balanced about my views. I love some of the work Apple does and I’m not shy about saying so but this is underhand IMHO.

thanks for the WinRAR advice – will try that out.

20. troy, where exactly did I deviate from the facts?

1) MobileMe is installed when you install iTunes 7.7 – FACT

2) A commentator on my blog thought this was malware (I disagreed). – FACT

I did my homework and if you think I deviated from the facts, please point them out *specifically*

21. Bewildered says:

OK, how that we’ve hashed out who is naughty and who is nice, how do I remove the stupid control panel?

22. Bewildered – seems you can remove the oddly named Apple Mobile Device Support

23. Mike Cane says:

Holy cow.  I thought I was the first one to notice this, today, on my XP PC:

24. Bewildered says:

Steve, your removal suggestion worked.  Thanks.

25. Bob Denny says:

"seems you can remove the oddly named Apple Mobile Device Support"

Yeah, but the removal ran for SO LONG! I wonder what the hell they installed? I really hated that they did it without even asking.

26. Alun Jones says:

Uncoincidentally, the most popular item in my blog (by a factor of 7) is a post on how to remove Apple Mobile Device Support when it failse to remove itself using the regular uninstall procedure.

To judge from the number of visitors, removing Apple Mobile Device Support is something that thousands of people are desperate to do.

27. Alun Jones says:

Just as I hit ‘post’, I realised some of your readers might actually like the URL to the blog entry on removing Apple Mobile Device Support. Don’t know if you can add this to the comment above, Steve, but here’s the link: http://msmvps.com/blogs/alunj/archive/2007/12/17/1402585.aspx

28. joe says:

What about disnoted, Bonjour, Apple Software update, QTTask, and AppleSyncNotifier?

I have updated my "post-install tasks" for iTunes as follows:

– Uninstall AppleSoftwareUpdate

– Uninstall Bonjour

– Rename disnoted.exe

– Remove QTTask from the Run key

– Remove AppleSyncNotifier from the Run key

– Delete MobileMe control panel entry keys from the registry

Geesh, Apple, your making it harder on us regular home users to keep our machines running smooth!