My latest presentation

SlideShare | View |

I presented at the NLab Social Networks Conference in Leicester today – was good fun and met some great people. Jess has some great coverage and some of the detail of what I talked about which is handy as the slides on their own are not obvious. Though I give my slides aware on Slideshare I tend to think a deck without the presenter isn’t that useful. If the presenter is any good that is 🙂

I learned a few things today to as I thought about this talk:

1. if there isn’t something unique about your product, it’s going to be tough to have a conversation about it. unless people hate it.
  2. not everyone should blog. if your product isn’t brilliant, yo may want to fix it and then blog. if not, prepare for a backlash
  3. in presenting, if you can make your audience laugh, think, disagree, ask questions you’re well on the way to a great presentation. if you can do all of these things, you’re probably a great presenter. if you can do none of these things, go back to the drawing board (and read Garr Reynolds)
  4. i still need to get better at finishing on time….no time for Q&A today 🙁 sorry folks

love to hear any feedback from attendees and thanks always to Hugh for the cartoons. not sure what I’d do without them!

1. Sue Thomas says:

Steve, thanks for a great talk yesterday and for speeding up the completion of the Buzzword Bingo list! It was really good to meet you at last.

2. thanks Sue – sorry I had to dash early but really enjoyed it and met some great new people

3. Katie says:

you could always borrow my new presenter "clicker" it has a handy timer built in 🙂

can’t believe you would talk longer that scheduled….

4. you know me…love the sound of my own voice 🙂

5. Mark Glover says:

Hey Steve,

Really enjoyed your presentation at the conference. It got the day off to a good start and it was certainly the funniest one. It’s always refreshing when Microsoft can put on a good show at these events. Your use of Twitter on the corner of the screen was also excellent.

What a shame you couldn’t stay for the whole day!

6. Graeme says:

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to drop by and saw how much I enjoyed your presentation on Thursday which achieved the balance of being light hearted and enjoyable as well as communicating a serious message.

It certainly made me think

7. stevecla01 says:

thanks Mark – sorry I couldn’t stick around for the whole day but hope to catch you on Twitter or at another event!

8. stevecla01 says:

thanks Graeme – this is the most fun part of my job so glad you enjoyed it!

9. Mark Glover says:

Likewise! Am already following you on Twitter as ignorminious.

Skip to main content