(thanks to Niall)
5 days in with my Zune and I still haven’t really had the chance to play with it too much. Here are the comments from people who have seen it ranked in order of most frequent:
- What do you think of it?
- Brown eh…
- It’s a bit bigger than an iPOD
- How much storage does it have?
- When are they out in the UK?
The first one is the one I need a better answer to as right now, my friends have used it more than I have. There are a tonne of detailed reviews – albeit not at The Guardian who have yet to take up my loan offer – so I’ll keep mine short for now. Here is what I like and dislike to date:
- I *love* the Hello from Seattle on the back of the unit. The writing it TINY and many people miss it. I think it’s a nice bit of humour
- The box and the whole OOBE experience. Very cool and clearly some money and thought has gone in to it.
- The headphones. I love the attention to detail that they magentically stick together. I’m not sure it’s actually useful but cool that someone though of it.
- The WiFi experience. I shared some tunes with Stephen McGill (UK XBOX product manager) on friday who had a black and a white Zune and it worked a treat.
- The little brown pouch. I wasn’t expecting this and it has nice seude feel to it
- The FM radio. Simple but excellent and the UI for it is great!
- Add on programs like Feed Your Zune already available!
- Built in video and music – I may be just dumb but I can’t quite figure out how to remove the pre-installed content [update: just figured this out…duh]
- Lack of a power supply. It would have been a US one of course but my days in the mobile group mean I have a US powerstrip in the house. Doesn’t everyone?
- The little brown pouch. It’s too tight for the unit though I’m told they stretch…quickly
- The fonts – sometimes seem a bit jaggedy to me.
- Speed – I want it to be even faster in UI navigation.
- the brown thing. the green tinge is cool but I’m quietly jealous of McGill’s black unit which actually looks a bit more charcoal. Brown is the new charcoal though – I just need to keep saying that to myself 🙂