Okay, for many people reading my blog (all 3 of you) this is not news but in case somebody stumbles here in a post Guinness haze, here is my IT tip for the week: shortcut keys. The time saving gems of the world of Windows.
I thought everybody knew them but two occasions this week have shown me that some people don’t and I’m not ashamed to admit I learnt Windows + D myself only very recently (last week). Here is my Top 10
1. Ctrl + C: copies the currently selected item (text, image, whatever). I must use this a million times a day.
2. Ctrl + V: pastes the current contents of the clipboard (or whatever you just copied with Ctrl +C)
3. Ctrl +X: cuts the currently selected item and puts it in the clipboard
4. Ctrl + S: save. Tres handy in Word when you wanna do a quick save after typing out War and Peace without one save in between.
5. Alt + Tab: shuffle through your currently open programs
6. Ctrl + A: select all. Works wonderfully in a document, web pages or file explorer
7. Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop
8. Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer
9. Windows Logo+L: Lock your machine (password protect)
10. ALT+F4: Quit program
Hope you found at least one new one? If you have others to add, be my guest and we’ll do a Top 20.