VSeWSS 1.3 Post-Install Configuration

If you’re trying to install VSeWSS 1.3, the latest version of the Visual Studio Extensions for Windows SharePoint Services, you may find that you need to tweak a couple of things post-install to make sure the VSeWSS 1.3 web service is configured correctly.

To give you a little context, when I first installed the default installation and then created a web part project to test deployment I was getting the following error. This was resulting from the VSeWSS 1.3 WCF web service not having the appropriate permissions.

clip_image002

Note: To install VSeWSS 1.3, Kirk Evans gives a good overview here:

For post-install config—i.e. to rid yourself of this error message, you might find you need to follow these steps:

1. Open IIS and verify that you have a VSeWSS web service app.

image

2. Click Advanced Settings on the  VSeWSS web app to ensure it is using the SharePoint Central Administration v. 3 application pool.

image

3. Go to the SharePoint Central Administration v.3 application pool and make sure that the Identity is running as NetworkService.

image

4. Go to Computer Management and click Groups, Administrators and then Add. You’ll want to, if it’s not already, add the NetworkService to the Administrators group. (Click Advanced, Find Now, and then select Network Service from the results.) Click OK to get out of the Administrators Properties dialog.

image

5. Reset IIS.

Once this was complete, I was able to go back and create a web part and successfully deploy into my local SharePoint site.

Thanks to Paul Andrew for walking me through this.

Steve

1. Paul Andrew says:

The new version of the Visual Studio 2008 extensions for SharePoint 1.3 include some changes to support

2. Bong's Blog says:

Вышли 10 типовых дизайнов для сайтов Sharepoint . Я заодно решил, для тех кто не в курсе, кратенько описать

3. hericksonn says:

Thats ok when I try to deploy WebParts, but when I try do deploy the Kirk´s Screencast part 5 sample (Columns, Content Types, and Lists)

An dialog box appear when I click WSP View refresh button, with this:

Microsoft.Sharepoint.Tools.Utilities.VSeWSSServiceException

VSeWSS Service Error: Assembly

C:UserAdministratorWDocumentsVisual Studio

2008Projects1Msdn.WebMsdn.WebbinDebugMsdn.Web.dll

not found. This way occur because the VSeWSS WCF Service does

not have local administrator permissions. Please review the release

notes.

If I try to build, then the refresh do not show me more erros. But when I deploy, the columns on Annotations list do not appear.

Could you help me?

4. Aroh says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to WSP view working. But when I tried Kirk´s Screencast part 5 sample (Columns, Content Types, and Lists), I had the same issue which hericksonn had.

Could please advice on this?

C:UserAdministratorWDocumentsVisual Studio 2008Projects1Msdn.WebMsdn.WebbinDebugMsdn.Web.dll

not found. This way occur because the VSeWSS WCF Service does not have local administrator permissions. Please review the release notes.

5. Gareth says:

I have installed VS 2008 and VSeWSS on my server. I ran Solution Builder, entered my site URL, correctly got offered the list of design elements, I chose what I wanted and clicked "finalise".

Then I get the error "VSS Service Error:  No sharepoint site exists at specified URL :http://<<mysite>&gt;.com/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?cmd=GetProjSchema.  The remote server returned an error: (401)   Unauthorised"

Any ideas?  it is driving me crazy !  The builder is obviously finding my site and accessing it but what extra permissions does it need and where should these be configured ?

6. Vishal Mody says:

Thanks Steve.

You blog post helped me to fix my issue.

-Vishal

7. ThinkBetter says:

Spent couple of hours did't work.. this made trick.. 🙂

8. Altaf Patel says:

Thanks Steve step-by-step illustration. it worked for me.

9. hi says:

you are should set ip address  for project peropertice

example http://localhost to -> http://localhost :5050