MAPICDO May 2013 Update

It;’s here! It’s finally here! The May 2013 update of MAPICDO is live here:

At that same link, you’ll also find the long awaited configuration guidance. It’s not immediately obvious it’s there. Just hit the Download link and it will be offered to you. As a reminder, this configuration guidance will help you in configuring an RPC/HTTP (aka ROH) profile using this MAPI/CDO download package. These instructions do NOT apply equally to Outlook’s implementation of MAPI. Attempting to use these guidelines to build a profile for Outlook’s MAPI, or attempting to “port” a profile between the two implementations WILL lead to failure.

Installation details:

• This version is 6.5.8320.0. All of the files in the update are dated April 29th, 2013.
  • If you already have a version of the MAPI Download installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new version. The installer does not upgrade, nor does it warn you if you try to install it without uninstalling the previous version.

Fixes:

• ROH now works when running under Local System context
  • Proxy server settings are no longer case sensitive.
  • PR_PROFILE_RPC_PROXY_SERVER can now be set using Unicode.
  • Improved support for mixed 2010/2013 environments.

Enjoy!

1. Dan says:

Stephen,

Why does MFCMAPI work on an Exchange 2013 installed on a Windows 2012 which is also (the only) domain controller, simply by using the CONNECT_IGNORE_NO_PF, without needing to make any change documented in the guidance?

Thank you.

2. Stephen Griffin says:

When you don't set the server names as recommended by the guidance, when we need one we default back to the only server name we know, the unresolved server name. When you're running on and targeting an all in one machine, all of the missing settings will line up with the unresolved server name, so everything can work. But if your topology changes just the tiniest bit, you'll no longer function.

3. Dan says:

Thank you for your reply; the thing is that the next step I play with is a 2012 environment with Exchange 2013 on a different machine, and I am struggling to make it work.

This is a clean install of the DC, and Exchange (trial version, not sure if this makes a difference); I did not install any certificate.

I can browse owa and ecp virtual directories, but not the autodiscover so I cannot find the personalized mailbox server name; when I try to browse the virtual directory, I get

-<Error Id="911295598" Time="12:32:21.5978539"><ErrorCode>600</ErrorCode><Message>Invalid Request</Message><DebugData/></Error>.

Can I get it from ADSIEdit, or from Powershell?

Thank you again.

4. Stephen Griffin says:

You might try getting Outlook to work first, or try testconnectivity.microsoft.com to test your autodiscover configuration. Needless to say, you'll need Autodiscover working properly before you try working on MAPICDO.

5. Dan says:

Ok, I will try to see why Autodiscover does not work, but shouldn't this be working after a fresh Exchange Server install, as the first and only Exchange server in a fresh new domain? This is a test environment, where I only need internal access, and my MAPI application runs directly on the Exchange Server…

Anyway, I have a couple more things that are not clear to me:

- The guidance doc says that the required configuration changes to make applications using MAPI to work, can be done either by setting registry keys, or by programmatically setting properties MAPI profile.

My understanding from the above is that, if choosing to use the registry settings, an application that creates MAPI profiles should be able to create and connect to it, even without setting those properties, if simply using the personalized mailbox server name instead of the DNS name, is that correct?

- And one more question: having the app running on the Exchange server with the CAS role installed, can I programmatically, or by using Exchange Management Shell cmdlets, find the personalized mailbox server name? Can you tell me where to look for, please?

Thank you very much for all your feedback.

6. Stephen Griffin says:

You should probably look at blogs.msdn.com/…/creating-exchange-2013-profiles-using-mfcmapi.aspx, where I point to two articles that give practical guidance on building these profiles by hand for testing with MFCMAPI. I'd recommend getting that working before attempting to build the profiles programmatically.

7. yuhong2 says:

Why was it decided not to completely copy Outlook's MAPI?

8. Stephen Griffin says:

I don't know how to respond to that. If you want to use Outlook's MAPI, you can install Outlook. MAPICDO is Exchange's MAPI.

9. yuhong2 says:

I am talking about Exchange MAPI copying Outlook MAPI RPC/HTTP implementation.

10. Stephen Griffin says:

Ah – I wasn't involved in the development of Exchange's implementation of RPC/HTTP.

11. Hello, good morning everyone.

Help, help… :-)

Problem: BES Express 5.0.4 cannot pass through MapiCDO check step.

MapiCDO version 6.5.8320

Exchange 2013 version 712.24 (Exchange 2013 CU2)

Some infos from the BES Express install logs:

1) CExchangeServer::GetExtendedInformation received unexpected version [Version 15.0 (Build 30712.24)]

2) CExchangeServer::GetExtendedInformation result is [1] – Name:S2013-EXCH,Version:0/0(Version 15.0 (Build 30712.24)),ADFor[ourdomain.local],GC[Name[s2013-ad…

3) CMAPICon::EditMapiProfile (no UI) sent [BlackBerryServer/S2013-EXCH/besadmin@semper.ch] and return code was [0x80040115]

Question : do you know if there is any workaround ? or a newer MapiCDO version ? or anything else that will work ;-)

Many thanks and best regards,

jb_2000

12. Stephen Griffin says:

You should raise this issue with Blackberry.

13. Rick Pitz says:

We keep hearing rumors that Microsoft is going to stop supporting MAPI/CDO.  Any plans for when this goes away?