I just got back from a vacation to Italy, Greece and Turkey. While I was out, we shipped a new update for the MAPI download. I got a number of requests for release notes, so here we go.
- This version is 6.5.8190.0. Most files in the update are dated October 7th, 2010, with a few dated on the 4th.
- If you already have a version of the MAPI Download installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new version. The installer does not upgrade, nor does it warn you if you try to install it without uninstalling the previous version.
- Hang in emsmdb32 during shutdown: More precisely, this is a high CPU hang with both the client thread and a background thread each waiting for the other to complete some work. The background thread will be calling Sleep in a loop.
- Thread handle leak: To see this one, you need code which logs on and off of mailboxes in a loop. Using Perfmon, you can track the thread handle count getting higher and higher, without the actual thread count increasing. This issue may also manifest as 9646 errors on the Exchange server.
- Intermittent MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR from random MAPI calls while multithreading: MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR is a legitimate error which can crop up for a variety of non-MAPI-bug reasons (such as, say, a router eating packets), but this one was a specific issue in how emsmdb32 handled tearing down connections. Essentially, closing one connection was closing all of them, causing successful connections to become non-functioning.
- First chance AV during emsmdb32 unload: This is the issue I mentioned before that wasn’t fixed in 8165.