We got a number of reports of crashes using the MAPI download we shipped in December (6.5.8147, also republished with minimal changes in January as 6.5.8153). I’m pleased to announce that we’ve updated the MAPI download with a fix for these crashes.
Details about the MAPI Download:
- The version which addresses the widespread crashes is 6.5.8165, dated 4/5/2010.
- If you already have a version of the MAPI Download installed, you must unininstall it before installing the new version. The installer does not upgrade, nor does it warn you if you try to install it without uninstalling the previous version.
The new MAPI Download fixes a few problems the December/January builds had:
- A worker thread continues running after emsmdb32 has unloaded, crashing when it is next signaled. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980291)
- CDO can free the same memory twice while accepting a meeting update.
An item not fixed by this release:
- If you have a debugger attached while your application is releasing MAPI, there may be a first chance Access Violation thrown during the unload of emsmdb32.dll. This AV is benign and can be ignored. It will be handled before the call stack returns to your code. The AV should be addressed in a future version of the download.
If I identify other issues fixed by the updated MAPI download, I’ll add them in here.