Outlook and Click-to-Run

Angela has posted an article with the reg key you’ll need to figure out if Outlook is installed via Click-to-Run. I still haven’t figured out a good way to get MFCMAPI running against a C2R environment, but when I do, I’ll post it here. 🙂

1. SvenC says:

Hi Stephen,

I have a semi related question. Outlook 2010 beta does not display our custom mapi form verbs anymore. So when I right click on an item in Outlook 2010 which has our message class our verbs (custom commands) are missing. Double clicking that item shows our MAPI form. Right clicking that element in Outlook XP/2003/2007 shows our mapi form verbs.

Our MAPI form was installed from a cfg file where the verbs are defined.

Unfortunately I did not get in the tech beta of Office, so I could not check the RC. The Office folks are pretty closed down – no chance to get in even as an ISV gold partner. I asked in MSDN news groups and forums, our partner rep – but no answers showed up.

Is that problem known and still existing in the current bits of Outlook?

Thanks,

SvenC

2. Rahul says:

Is there any way to install both Outlook versions 32 bit and 64 bit in the same OS.

I don’t know more about application virtualization but name looks like "it can do".

So virtualization will hide one version from another version and allow to install both in the same OS.

3. Kevin says:

I eagerly await your findings on C2R, Stephen!

I’m guessing that OL2010C2R virtualizes its MAPI client components, right?

4. Kevin Hsu says:

Stephen,

I tried this: Write an OL2010 addin that does this on startup:

System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo info = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo(@"C:mfcmapiMFCMapi.exe");

info.WorkingDirectory = @"C:mfcmapi";

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info);

When it launches, MFCMAPI inherits the MAPI client environment from Outlook 2010!

Cheers,

Kevin

5. Awesome idea Kevin! That’ll work until I get time to figure out what I really want, which is a way to launch MFCMAPI directly into the virtual environment, even if Outlook isn’t running.

6. Kevin says:

Just to add, I was able to use System.IO to dump the Q: tree, so one should be able to snoop all the files there. You know, in case one wants to see the side by side manifests, peruse DLL entry points, etc.

7. Steve says:

Do any of you guys know how to get office 2013 c2r working with old mapi applications. I literally am going to kill myself over this

Skip to main content