MFCMAPI and Old Versions of Visual Studio

Ever since I went to the new Vista style icon for MFCMAPI, it’s not been possible to compile in Visual Studio 6. I’ve spent some time looking at this, and it appears the only clean way to get VS 6 working again is to remove compression from the icon, something I really don’t want to do. So I’m considering dropping support for Visual Studio 6 altogether. While I’m at it, it’s been a while since I tried to compile in VS 2003 or 2005, so I was thinking about dropping support for those two as well. The only compiler I’d test would be Visual Studio 2008 (and 2010 whenever it comes out). Note that other than the known break in VS 6 I’m not planning on actively breaking compilation for 2003 or 2005. I just wouldn’t test them, so over time, I probably would break them.

Before I do this – I wanted to get feedback. Would anybody care if MFCMAPI no longer compiled in Visual Studios 6, 2003, or 2005?

1. Ashutosh Bhawasinka says:

Hi,

Please keep it compatible with VS 2005 at least.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashutosh

2. Dave says:

It’s Visual Studio 6, drop it.  People shouldn’t be using that anymore. I wouldn’t drop VS 2003 and 2005 until VS 2010 officially releases

3. Warren Brown says:

No problem with dropping all pre2008 stuff. Thank you.

4. Lev says:

I would at least support VS 2005.  Currently none of the older versions of VS compile MFCMAPI due to the icon problem.  Several workarounds for that issue exist ( one of them is pointed in the linked article; others are here: http://www.rw-designer.com/compile-vista-icon ).

5. pcunite says:

KEEP support for VS2005. It is the last version of VS that will still compile a working .exe for Windows 9x/NT4. Yes… we still need it.

6. Stephen Griffin says:

pcunite – can you tell me more about that? I wasn’t aware that the build from 2008 weren’t working on NT4 (not that I’ve been testing it, but no one’s reported it to me).

7. pcunite says:

Stephen – In my testing, a simple "Hello World" .exe from VS2008 will not execute on NT4. It states "This is not a valid WIN32 application" or something to that effect.

8. BobH says:

If its not too late, please keep VS6 available. I just discovered your MFCMAPI, and it looks like something that is going to help me. I have VS10, but VS6 can't be beat for browsing and debugging complex, multi-threaded projects, etc.