Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) v5.3 is now available.

SSMA simplifies database migration process from Oracle/Sybase/MySQL and Microsoft Access to SQL Server and SQL Azure. SSMA automates all aspects of migration including migration assessment analysis, schema and SQL statement conversion, data migration as well as migration testing to reduce cost and reduce risk of your database migration project.

The new version of SSMA – SSMA 5.3 provides the following major enhancements:

• Support of Migration to MS SQL Server 2014.
  • Improved conversion mechanism when migrating to Azure.
  • New features in the Migration GUI.
  • No requirement to get a License key to start using SSMA.

Download SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) v.5.3 :

Launch the download of the SSMA for Oracle.

Launch the download of the SSMA for Sybase.

Launch the download of the SSMA for MySQL.

Launch the download of the SSMA for Access.

The SSMA product team is available to answer your questions and provide limited technical support. Contact the team at ssmahelp@microsoft.com

1. Mike says:

Thanks a ton for sharing this info !!

2. DCT_Tech says:

Was waiting eagerly for this update. Thank you.

3. Haley says:

About time. Hopefully the Bugs are fixed.

4. Dale says:

Thanks for quick response about the un-availability. I'm starting the download now. This makes my life easier.

5. Tina says:

This is an good feature upgrade over the previous version. Thank you so much !

6. Luiso says:

Hello, I tried to run on Windows 2003 but I receive no valid win32 error. It is only for 64 bit?

7. ajakumar says:

@ Luiso – You should be able to run and install SSMA v 5.3 on Windows 2003 Platform without any issues , since its completely supported. Do let us know what specific error you're observing , will be glad to assist.

8. Dirk Jan den Elzen says:

Thanks for releasing this new version. Love this tooling for migration. Mostly use the Oracle to SQL migration, works perfectly.

9. Law_ says:

Hi,

i have the same issue as Luiso. this is in win2k3r2 sp2.

I get 'is not a valid win32 application' error.

Nothing gets logged in event viewer logs.

10. Steve says:

I am having the same problem as Law and Luiso.

11. Vijay says:

Hi,

Please help me.

I am using SSMA v.5.3 version to migrate oracle schema to sql server and the oracle schema size is just 2 GB and around 2800 tables. But the schema conversion step is taking more than 12 hours. Source is linux OS and target is windows 2012. I am using server side migration . Could some one please help me to resolve the slowness.  Very very slow conversion.

Thanks,

Vijay

12. rusticloud says:

Can you please document when and why SSMA 5.3 adds or does not add SSMA_Timestamp columns? I have not been able to find this info on the internet and can't figure out what the pattern is.

13. Volker Hetzer says:

Hi!

Does this still require the "SSMA Components on SQL Server (MySQL to SQL)"? If yes, where do I get them from?

The documentation just says I ought to have a zip file but noit where to get it.

Lots of Greetings!

Volker

14. Volker Hetzer says:

Sorry, I was stupid. The download is right there…

15. Jason Whiteis says:

Any word on the win32 install issue?  I'm also on win server 2003 r2 and am getting the error "…SSMA for Sybase 5.3.0 is not a valid Win32 application."  It gives me a similar error if I try to open the Oracle version.  Help!  I want to leave sybase behind.

16. Jan says:

The link on "Getting Started with SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (AccessToSQL)" to the download is broken. It takes you to the Microsoft learning homepage. :(

17. Cindy Sepulveda says:

Any response from Microsoft why SSMA 5.3 will not install on Server 2003?  I am getting the same error the other users have posted that it is  not a valid Win32 application. I am using the SSMA for Oracle download.  If I try to install on my Win7 64 bit machine it installs fine.  Really need this to run on the  Server 2003 machine.

18. Filippo says:

Hi all,

I am using the function

sysdb.ssma_oracle.db_get_next_sequence_value

which SSMA provides as

a scalar function used to emulate Oracle’s NEXTVAL:

in a machine with mssql2005 server and "SSMA_2005_for_Oracle_Extension_Pack.4.0"

installed, everything works fine and i am able to get a valid nextval.

Unfortunately the same code does not work on mssql2008 server with

"SSMA for Oracle.5.3.0.ExtPack" installed. In this case the value

i get is always NULL

Debugging my function,

inside the function sysdb.ssma_oracle.db_get_next_sequence_value

I have found the call

exec master..xp_ora2ms_exec2 @spid,@login_time,'sysdb','ssma_oracle',

'db_sp_get_next_sequence_value',@dbname,@schema,@name,@curval output

with

@dbname=Nautilus

@schema=Nautilus

@name=ID_GENERATOR

The problem seems to be in the exec of master..xp_ora2ms_exec2.

As a matter of fact, if I execute directly the procedure

ssma_oracle.db_sp_get_next_sequence_value

in this way:

exec ssma_oracle.db_sp_get_next_sequence_value 'Nautilus','Nautilus', ID_GENERATOR,@curval output

@curval will contains the correct value.

Moreover if i open the extended stored procedures  in the system master database below

programmability ->  extended stored procedures.

i have found that the DLL field of the xp_ora2ms_exec2 SP is empty, while on the working version it points to

'C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server Migration Assistant 2005 for Oracle Extension Packbinextwin32SSMA4OracleSQLServerExtensions.dll'

I cannot call directly the procedure because my program have to run a function and

inside a function i can call only other functions or extended stored procedures

I tried to install "SSMA for Oracle.6.0.0.ExtPack" insted of "Oracle.5.3.0.ExtPack"

but in this case only very few of the functions and stored procedures previously present in

the sysdb database created from the installer are present and i have an "impossible to find

function" error.

I tried even to look all over the internet for the old package SSMA_2008_for_Oracle_Extension_Pack.4.0

in the hope that, as SSMA_2005_for_Oracle_Extension_Pack.4.0 works on mssql2005, the

other one will work, bit i have been unable to find it.

Is there a way to solve this issue?

Any helps and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.