Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) 5.2 is Now Available

Automating Database Migration to SQL Server 2012

SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) v5.2 is now available. SSMA simplifies database migration process from Oracle/Sybase/MySQL and Microsoft Access to SQL Server and SQL Azure. SSMA automates all aspects of migration including migration assessment analysis, schema and SQL statement conversion, data migration as well as migration testing to reduce cost and reduce risk of your database migration project.

The new version of SSMA – SSMA 5.2 provides the following major enhancements:

• Support conversion of Oracle %ROWTYPE parameters with NULL default
  • Support conversion of Sybase’s Rollback Trigger
  • Better user credential security to support Microsoft Access Linked Tables

Download SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) v.5.2

Launch the download of the SSMA for Oracle.

Launch the download of the SSMA for Sybase.

Launch the download of the SSMA for MySQL.

Launch the download of the SSMA for Access.

1. Daryl says:

Do I still need all of the prerequisites that are mentioned in a previous post? I have downloaded and installed this product but I am getting an alert saying it cannot access the server.

2. Saket says:

Can we use this to migrate Data from SQL Azure to any SQL server version like SQL 2008 or, SQL 2012??

3. TonyA says:

Does SSMA 2012 convert attachment data?

Would be good if it does!

4. Praveen says:

Does this version  still need extn pack?

5. AG_aus says:

Hi,

a) It'd be good if the SSMA team actually responded to the comments posted on their blog posts.

b) Are you aware that the download is actually not working?

6. Hi there

I let Han know there are questions and the links need updating. Thanks for posting.

7. Vernon says:

I am able to download the product but upon launch when I get the license management screen it fails to download the licence after I sign in and submit my information.  Not sure if that is the same issue that AG_aus was talking about with the download or not but thought I would mention it just in case it is not, thanks.

8. Mike Shammas says:

I have the same issue as Vernon.  We are burning investigation time just trying to get a licence key to try the product. It will not be long before we conclude that staying with Oracle is the cheaper option

9. Hi folks. Thanks for letting us know. We found a link had been inadvertently removed. The link should be fixed now.

10. MB says:

Hi There, still  having the same problem (now 6 aug).  Cannot download the license file: file not found

Cheers.

11. Hi,

I am getting the same error as you described in your blog, however even after following all the procedure I am not able to resolve this issue. The error stack trace is exactly the same as you have "Must declare variable error messages". I am using SSMA for Oracle Extension Pack 5.2.

I am migrating from Oracle 11g R2 to SQL Server 2008 R2. Just FYI, My SQL Server Collate Name is "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS".

I am new to SQL Server. Please help me to resolve this error. If this is not the correct blog, please suggest me one where I can find solution.

Thanks,

Anwesh

12. Hi MB

I apologize for the inconvenience. It took me a few days of escalating through channels to find that the license file had also been physically deleted. The file has now been restored.

-Sam

13. Morgan says:

I am migrating 11gr2 to SQL 2008r2.  Is there any reason why SSMA doesn't migrate the oracle tables. When I run the tool and check the objects in SQL Server it only show the packages and procedures. No tables, views or any other objects. Any idea why that is?

14. Rob says:

The file does not download properly…..   Upon downloading the zip file is Invalid !

15. jorg says:

hi sam,

there is still no license to download – 3 months and still not working

maybe that license thing was not such a good idea after all :)

but anyway we do need the proper file, so please fix it !!

16. Sorry you're still having issues Rob and Jorg.  We tested this and were not able reproduce the problem. Of course that doesn't mean there's not a problem.  Please contact ssmahelp at microsoft.com if you're still stuck.

17. robyscar says:

is really a shame…..

you want to have data moved from MySql to MsSql and you (ms) bust our balls with a license that doesnt exist anywhere!

that's why IT people choose oracle or linux!

18. aa20120 says:

j ai un probleme avec la migration des données . j ai une table de 900000 lignes a migré de mysql vers sql azure mais au bout de la 686000 lignes la connexion est perdu et la migration est interrompue

helppp please

19. Hi Robyscar! We are really sorry that we started on a bad note here as there might have been a momentary loss of service availability. Incase you don't have the file yet please email us at ssmahelp@microsoft.com we would provide you the license file directly. We would also assist you in moving data from MySQL to MS SQL Server  as and when you face issues free of charge.

20. Salut aa20120,

En cas de grandes tables de la manière suggérée est d'utiliser la migration par lots. Une fois que vous avez défini SSMA vous avez la possibilité de spcifying migration par lots. Ainsi, vous pouvez le configurer pour migrer 500.000 lignes en une seule fois en spécifiant une clause where. SQL Azure est une architecture multi et essaie de faire la répartition équitable des ressources à tous les locataires et donc fermait très longues connexions en cours d'exécution. Les liens suivants vous aideraient

blogs.msdn.com/…/migrating-from-mysql-to-sql-azure-using-ssma.aspx

21. First off, I'm very sorry it took so long to get you guys what you need.

If you ever get blocked feel free to contact ssmahelp@microsoft.com. Our support team is ready to help.

I've investigated the missing license for the MySQL version and believe it should be downloadable again.

robyscar – I agree with you that this is a real bummer… Migrations are hard and  something silly shouldn't get in the way of getting you the tools you need. I'm pretty new to this particular product. I have been investigating why it's this way. I haven't found an answer that I liked and yesterday have proposed changing this to remove the downloading of the license requirement for future downloads. It won't happen quickly since it's "working" right now, but I think it is a good change.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Sam

22. Fdo says:

The link to license registration page does not work, how can i get the license for SSMA for mysql v5.2?

23. Angshuman Nayak says:

Hi Fdo,

Please open a ticket at support.microsoft.com/…/default.aspx and provide your email id. I will send you the license file for MySQL 5.2

24. JC says:

This is pig-awful software, guys…did you collect a salary for this? After about half a day of installing everything I can only run a report on a source DB once or twice before I get what looks like null pointer errors.

I have to persist as I have to use it but thanks, MS, for producing plop again.

25. Hi,

I have to migrate Sybase to SQL server 2005, is it ok if I will work with SSMA 5.2 version or I needed older version of it?

Thanks,

Chirag

26. When I run Migrate Data option in  SSMA, i got this error: Could not find stored procedure 'sysdb.ssma_syb.bcp_save_migration_package'.

How to get install this stored procedure?

27. Anton [Microsoft] says:

Hi Chirag,

You should always use the latest version of SSMA. Currently, it is version 5.2. It supports SQL Server 2005 as well as 2008, 2012 and Azure. In order to use server side data migration (that is where bcp_save_migration_package is needed), you have to install SSMA Extension Pack (for Sybase, in your case).

– Anton

28. Mindy says:

Is there  user's guide for this migration tool?

29. Dibin says:

Is it possible to migrate data from Oracle 11g to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. I know it works with the enterprise edition. I mean will SSMA work with the standard edition.

30. Hi Dibin,

You use SSMA 5.2 to migrate to any edition of SQL Server. In the overview section of http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

we have mentioned "SSMA for Oracle v5.2 is designed to support migration from Oracle 7.3 or later version to all edition of SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, and SQL Server 2012."

31. Hi Mindy,

I am sorry for the late reply. You can use the help section of the tool and you can also download the whitepapers from http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

32. Newbie_You says:

Do SSMA v5.2 support migrations from Sybase ASA 12.0 or higher?

33. Hi Newbie,

I am really sorry but unfortunately we never had Sybase ASA on our plans for SSMA. The plan is still intact and we still support migration from Sybase ASE 11.9 onwards with the latest version of SSMA for Sybase http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

But I still see a silver lining in your case since your need is to migrate only schema and data I guess you can use a Linked Server to great advantage. The syntax between Sybase and MS SQL Server don’t differ much as they share the same DNA. Below are the providers that you can use to setup a linked server from SQL Server to Sybase ASE and then use queries to pull data and insert into the local database.  I am providing some information below to give you pointers for the same.

a) Have to install the required provider/driver on the SQL Server machine.

Sybase ASA can be connected in following ways

OLE DB Providers

You need an OLE DB provider for each type of data source you wish to access. Each provider is a dynamic-link library. There are two OLE DB providers you can use to access Sybase IQ:

Sybase ASA OLE DB provider The Adaptive Server Anywhere OLE DB provider provides access to Sybase IQ as an OLE DB data source without the need for ODBC components. The short name for this provider is ASAProv.

When the ASAProv provider is installed, it registers itself. This registration process includes making registry entries in the COM section of the registry, so that ADO can locate the DLL when the ASAProv provider is called. If you change the

location of your DLL, you must reregister it.

If you use the Adaptive Server Anywhere OLE DB provider, ODBC is not required in your deployment.

ODBC Driver

Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC Microsoft provides an OLE DB provider with a short name of MSDASQL.

The MSDASQL provider makes ODBC data sources appear as OLE DB data sources. It requires the Sybase IQ ODBC driver.

b) Create a Linked Server and then query the same.

This link species the steps and some common errors while setting the Linked Server

Steps :  sql-articles.com/…/creating-linked-server-to-sybase-from-sql-server  (These are for ASE but are the same for ASA except that you have to choose a different provider/driver)

Issues : social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/fe29f12d-67b0-40a8-a41b-1767853a0185

34. Ivonildo Ivo says:

I installed the ssma to convert mySQL to SQL Express, but, it doesn´t work. The button "convert" is not able and a message "SQL SERVER AGENT" is not ruuning. IT's obvisious thais is not running because sql express (2005) doens´t have it.

What can I do? ivo@share.com.br

35. Klaus Oberdalhoff says:

Hi,

MS Access to SQL Server

Any plans to support the conversion of the multi-level Access Attach-fields ?

best regards Klaus

36. Scott Frost says:

The license key page is now 404.  I need a license file.  What is the correct URL?

37. Connor LaCombe says:

Scott is right, license registration page is still a 404 error page… Dead in the water until I can get a license. Just sent an email to ssmahelp@microsoft.com though.

38. SQL4Life says:

The very last step of Part 2 where you update the object table and cross apply with the value from cat.xml values in the tblRawData to get the conversion status throws the following errors:

Msg 8152, Level 16, State 14, Line 1

String or binary data would be truncated.

The statement has been terminated.

Msg 2627, Level 14, State 1, Line 23

Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__tblSSMAR__E3B3531E2FFBD6D4'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.tblSSMAReport_MessageDetails'. The duplicate key value is (EnginneringConstructionProject, report, 008a49a7-91c2-4c40-a402-55768e0f3d5e, A2SS0030).

The statement has been terminated.

Any suggestions / solutions?

39. SQL4Life says:

So I was able to resolve the string or binary data would be truncated error by modifying tblSSMAReport_Object 'Name' from Varchar(32) to Varchar(40). Now we're left with the error:

Msg 2627, Level 14, State 1, Line 1

Han, do you have any suggestions?

40. Withrow says:

Where can I obtain the license file? The link to the license file from the setup program brings me to a 404 error page.

41. Why can't SSMA find my Sql Server Names says:

On the Connect to Sql Server Window, the list of Server names is blank.  Why can't SSMA find any Sql Server instances on my machine?

42. Fritz says:

Trying to register license produced a 500 – Internal Server Error.  Tried both Typical and Complete installation options.  Cannot register license.

43. Bo says:

to get a license, one should login with a live id.

44. CB De Los Santos says:

After looking at the threads for the license piece, it's no wonder people are disliking your products.  Jeez!  Such a simple thing to give simple directions on where to install the license.  Can't find anything close to where you describe where the license should go.

Goodbye Gates, Ballmer, and soon Microsoft….TIme to go!!!

45. Ash says:

As with other posts, I cannot access the license download for SSMA for Access. Broken link / 404 page. I sent an email to ssmahelp, as suggested in an earlier post, but was simply automatically redirected to the same support / help pages I have already trawled through.

Pretty damn poor.

All I want is the license key to progress.  Wasted a whole evening looking for this.

46. Anthony Parkinson says:

The license Link for SSMA (Sybase) is giving me a 4040 error.

47. Jody F says:

Website show you have a SSMA for migrating from IBM DB2 to SQL, but only get sent to an empty link.  Is SSMA available for DB2 or not?

48. Just me says:

I have downloaded the tool and the license to migrate from Oracle (11g) to SQL Server (2012).  I am running Windows Server 2008R2.  When I try to install the Migration Assistant for Oracle Extension Pack, and get to the step of choosing/entering the master password, once I enter the pw and hit enter, I get a "windows has experienced a fatal error and will restart".  I have tried using different pw's and no pw.  I have tried putting the license file in different spots.  It still kills the server every time.  Is this the best MS can do??  Please post solution.

49. Kc says:

I got the following error after selecting an access accde file. I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of ssma and the result is still the same. I'm using Windows 8 with Access 2013 (32bit). Any idea how to resolve this?

——–error—————————————————————————

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CD7791B9-43FD-42C5-AE42-8DD2811F0419} failed due to the following error: 80040154. This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. You can run 32-bit SSMA application if you have 32-bit connectivity components or 64-bit SSMA application if you have 64-bit connectivity components, shortcut to both 32-bit and 64-bit SSMA can be found under the Programs menu. You can also consider updating your connectivity components from go.microsoft.com/fwlink.

An error occurred while loading database content.

50. John says:

SSMA team is doing a lousy job. It simply does not work.

51. Tom says:

I want to add my voice to the existing comments. There are a lot of hard working developers out there that through their good work are making Microsoft look good. When we have to waste time on already busy schedules to get software tools to work, like this whole license thing, it is extremely disappointing. If the SSMA team doesn't have the resources to get the job done, then someone in the team needs to get the resources and do this right.

I am angry. I don't want to be. I want to get on with my work.

52. Ashok Raj says:

I hope the procedure to migrate as not chagned for SQL 2012. I have done it earlier with ssma 5.2 for 2008 R2.

53. Redeeze says:

Link to the download is broken again. Is this project dead?

54. Dale Offret says:

I too am having issues downloading SSMA 5.2.  The link is broken.  Does anyone have an alternate download link?

55. Dale Offret says:

After emailing the "Product Support" staff managing the blog, I was directed to another blog posting.  It appears that SSMA v5.3 is out and available.  Cruise on over to:

blogs.msdn.com/…/sql-server-migration-assistant-ssma-v5-3-is-now-available.aspx

Enjoy.

56. HoffmeisterGeorge says:

… except that v5.3 says you can't connect to an older vsersion database. So if you got SQL 2012, yur stuffed!

Good! Well done, Microsoft!

57. Thanh Nguyen says:

I want to migrate sybase to sql server 2012. I successfully used SSMA to migrate schema and data over on a test servers. It took me 10 hrs to complete. Our prod is an 24/7 OLTP databases and I can't afford to have them down for 10 hrs. I can beg my mgr for 2 hrs downtime the most. I have thought of using t-sql MERGE or SSIS, but we have over 30 databases and each db has couple hundreds of tables. It's a real pain to write t-sql MERGE codes for each table.

Now is my challenge: When it comes to real migration, how do I keep the data sync-up between sybase and sql server til the moment I'm ready to cut over? Is there Microsoft tools out there to accomplish this? Sybase Replication Server is not an option for me.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

58. Typical Microsoft.... says:

Employees are more worried about Networking than actually doing something productive!

59. faisal says:

THIS IS THE ERROR I AM GETTING WHEN USING SSMA TOOL TO MIGRATE ACCESS 2013 SQL SERVER 2008 BARING IN MIND I AM USING MICROSOFT ACCESS 2013-32 BIT WHILE MY OS W7 64: "Access Object Collector error: Database      Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CD7791B9-43FD-42C5-AE42-8DD2811F0419} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)). This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. You can run 32-bit SSMA application if you have 32-bit connectivity components or 64-bit SSMA application if you have 64-bit connectivity components, shortcut to both 32-bit and 64-bit SSMA can be found under the Programs menu. You can also consider updating your connectivity components from go.microsoft.com/fwlink.      An error occurred while loading database content."

help! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

60. Mihai Stanculescu says:

Same request as Klaus Oberdalhoff :

"Why not support the extended property "Field Description" (of a table) and also automatically convert it ? Access and SQL Server support it both."

Small companies usually start building their applications in Access. The only rapid/practical way to document the database is to use the Description feature (when necessary) for tables' fields. Designing a database even for small to medium database (100-200 tables) in Access (Ralationships diagrams) is problematic since the layout is sometimes lost. There are 3rd party tools that support importing Descriptions (MSVisio and ModelRight) but there are nowhere near perfect in this respect.

61. J P Gupta says:

Hi Mr. Sam,

We r trying to migrate Oracle8i db to Sql Server 2012 using SSMA. The error msg says "Connection to this server version are no longer supported". Please advise remedy.

Thanks.

62. Juan Velasquez says:

You guys at Microsoft really, really suck.

63. DaveCS says:

@faisal or others getting

"This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. You can run 32-bit SSMA application if you have 32-bit connectivity components or 64-bit SSMA application if you have 64-bit connectivity components, shortcut to both 32-bit and 64-bit SSMA can be found under the Programs menu."

You  have to run the 32 bit version of SSMA and it will work. In windows 8 browse through the apps from the main windows8 screen (not desktop view)