The SQL Server Data Tools team is pleased to announce an update for SSDT Preview is now available. The SSDT Preview update for April 2016 added support for the latest updates of SQL Server 2016 RC3, various bug fixes.
Get it here:
- The version number for the latest preview in Visual Studio 2015 is 14.0.60413.0
- The version number for the latest preview in Visual Studio 2013 is 12.0.60413.0
- The version number for the latest preview is 13.0.3293.1
What’s new in SSDT?
SQL Server Database
- Always Encrypted Support: For Databases that contain Always Encrypted columns, SSDT and DacFx allows viewing and editing these databases and publishing from a database project to them. Note that support for altering columns with column encryption present will be coming in a future release.
- Connection dialog and SQL Server Object Explorer: Multiple fixes and improvements.
- The Details page listing advanced connection properties was overhauled to show the full connection string in a multi-line box, and to improve support on High DPI machines.
- We have brought back the traditional error dialog with detailed connection errors. This helps when diagnosing login issues with clearer error messages and a stack trace so that DBAs or CSS can get the information they need to help diagnose your problems.
- For users with minimal permissions we fixed a number of issues around listing databases in the Connection Dialog and SQL Server Object Explorer, viewing the Security folder, and more.
- Azure SQL DB performance when expanding the databases node to list all DBs has been improved.
- SSDT installer:
- Fixed issue where .Net was being downloaded on uninstall.
- The installer size is now set correctly on High DPI machines.
- Removed the version check blocking SSDT installation if a newer SQL Server version is present.
- Schema Compare: Fixed a performance issue where checking/unchecking multiple items took a long time in Visual Studio.
- Project System: Support for using LocalDB 2014 as the default debug target on x86 machines, since there is no x86 version of SQL Server 2016.
- Build and Deployment:
- Fixed issue where computed columns were not supported on Temporal Tables.
- The “Execute deployment script in single-user mode” option is ignored when deploying to Azure V12 as this is not supported in cloud scenarios.
- SqlPackage.exe: Fixed a problem whereby publishing a dacpac using a publish profile did not honor the DoNotDrop and Exclude options selected in the publish profile.
SQL Server Analysis Services (The following issues will be fixed in the next release.)
- (Bug 7347254) Removing the DAX expression for a TablePermission does not remove the TablePermission object from the role.
- (Bug 7342441) AS model.bim designer is unable to re-open if partial\incomplete DAX expression was saved in model.
- (Bug 7357060) VS crashes when right clicking on table tabs after renaming connection friendly name in 1200 model.
- (Bug 7359207) Multi-Dimensional Projects cannot be built from CommandLine. The work-around is to roll back to Dev14 Update 1, or build from within the VS IDE.
- (Bug 7368553) Roles window hang and disappear when there is a large number of roles in AS Tabular Project.
- (Bug 7373792) Tabular AS projects hit null reference exception when trying to deploy\process on high DPI (200%) machine.
- Properties change through Advanced Properties dialog may not be retained when the connection is opened next time through History tab.
- If installing SSDT standalone – without any previous Visual Studio 2015 installation (Community, Pro+, or Express) – Azure login and browse functionality will not be available. To fix, install a version of Visual Studio and update the Azure Tools to version 2.7 or higher.
- When you create a new temporal table using Project Item template and add columns to it, deployment may fail. The mitigation is not to add any column until the table is deployed first. Once the table is created, you can add columns to the table and deploy it incrementally.
- When you delete a column from a temporal table using Table designer, adding a subsequent column may not work properly. To avoid it, keep the comma(,) after the last column in the table definition after deleting a column.
- (VS2015) .Net 4.6.1 may not install if there is no version of Visual Studio or the VS Integrated Shell previously installed on the machine. .Net 4.6 will be installed instead.
- This will result in no Network connections being shown in the new connection dialog.
- Recommendation is to install .Net 4.6.1 as it contains a number of stability improvements and SQL related fixes.
- (VS2015) The April 2014 update to Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Known as KB2919355 is required to install the Visual Studio 2015 Isolated Shell. Please install KB 2919355 before you install SSDT on these operating systems.
- (VS2015) The SSDT Japanese language installer may fail on the first attempt due to an issue installing the Visual Studio 2015 Japanese language pack. Retrying installation should succeed in installing correctly.
If you have any question or feedback, please visit our forum or Microsoft Connect page. We are fully committed to improve the SSDT experience and look forward to hearing from you!