A great new whitepaper has just been published on TechNet – Online Indexing Operation in SQL Server 2005. It gives a detailed explanation of the online index build process plus guidelines and best practices for implementing online indexing in production. Well worth reading.
While I’m on the subject, some other whitepapers around the Storage Engine that are well worth reading too:
- Physical Database Storage Design
- Troubleshooting Performance Problems in SQL Server 2005
- Working with tempdb in SQL Server 2005
- Database Mirroring Best Practices and Performance Considerations
- SQL Server I/O Basics, Chapter 2 (SQL Server 2005)