I recently installed an instance of SQL Server 2016 on one of my server. Later when I tried to configure the new instance as Distributor I faced the below error:
TITLE: Configure Distribution Wizard
‘Prod\SQL16’ cannot be configured for publishing and distribution. Publishing and distribution are supported only in SQL Server version 7.0 or later.
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=12.0.2000.8&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConfigureWizardErrorSR&EvtID=ServerTooOld&LinkId=20476
- From the Object Explorer I can clearly see that I’m connected to the latest version of SQL[SQL 2016] but still I’m getting the above error.
- Verified that I’m not connected to Web/SQL Express edition which supports Subscriber only. More info at Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2016
- Tried to configure Distributor using the TSQL script and it successfully executed. After this when I tried to create a new publication I again got the same error. So the issue seems to be only with the GUI.
- I then verified the version of SQL Server management studio which I was using and noticed that it was an older version- SQL 2014 SSMS.
- I then launched SSMS for SQL Server 2016 and I was able to configure the instance as distributor. As mentioned before we can also use the TSQL commands to configure.
- I faced this issue as I had multiple version of SQL server management studio on the same server
· Configure Distribution https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151860.aspx
· How to: Configure Publishing and Distribution (Replication Transact-SQL Programming) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms147363(v=sql.105).aspx
· How to: Configure Publishing and Distribution (SQL Server Management Studio) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151192(v=sql.105).aspx
· sp_adddistributor (Transact-SQL) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176028(v=sql.105).aspx
· sp_adddistributiondb (Transact-SQL) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189755(v=sql.105).aspx
Raghavendra Srinivasan , Support Engineer, Microsoft India GTSC
Balmukund Lakhani, Support Escalation Engineer, Microsoft India GTSC