While applying Cumulative Update 10 on a sql server 2005 SP2, the update may fail to install after 80% setup was completed with the following error message.
[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.sqlstate=42000, level=16, state=1, native_error=5123, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)
while attempting to open or create the physical file 'D:\dir\log\temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database_log.LDF'
The reason behind failure is that by default the setup creates the Temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database Database on specified default database location, If the location doesn't exist, it fails to create the database and the setup fails.
So to resolve the issue , we follow the steps below :
1. In Sql Server Management Studio, right click Instance Name , go to Server Properties > Database Settings > Database Default Locations ,check default location for Data and Log .
2. Try to access locations specified at Data and Log, Make sure files are available there.
3. If any of the files missing from above location , we hit the above error.
4. In that case, change the path to point to present location of mdf/ldf files .
5. Setup should now succeed.
This post should not be treated as the Microsoft’s Recommendation or Resolution to the problem, it is only a workaround which worked in our environment and so we would like to share it.
SE, Microsoft SQL Server