Today, we’re happy to announce the preview version of the SQL Server Migration Assistant for Datazen is now available from the Download Center.
This application is designed to help organizations migrate their existing Datazen Server content, including dashboards and KPI’s, to a SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services server. For this preview, you will only be able to migrate content built against SQL Server and SQL Server Analysis Services non personalized datasets (both Tabular and Multidimensional).
To get started, you should install the Migration Assistant on a machine that has network level access to both the Datazen Core Service you are pulling content from, as well as the Reporting Services server you are publishing the content to.
With that in place, you can run the application and begin stepping through the wizard –
1. First, you’ll need to connect to your Datazen Server. Here, we’ll need to enter the instance id, hostname and encryption key (these are same settings we’d entered in our Datazen Server Service configuration file)
2. Next, we’ll enter our information for the Reporting Services instance we’ll be publishing the content to. This is the same information you’d enter when connecting to the report server using the Mobile Report Publisher.
3. Select an empty folder on your report server where you’ll want to place your content.
4. Select the content from the Datazen server you wish to migrate and hit the migrate button. Your content will be transferred to new folders for any dashboards and KPI’s you’ve migrated. The folder names will be the same as the Datazen group names this content was migrated from.
If you select certain content that cannot be migrated, you will see these notifications on the right hand side of the screen as well as in a log file located in the folder where the app was installed.
Items that can’t be migrated in the preview include:
- Any items based on datasets outside of SQL Server and SQL Server Analysis Services
- Any data refresh plans that have been set in Datazen for the content
- Any dashboards created against personalized datasets in Datazen
We expect to add support for migrating these items in an upcoming release of the migration assistant.
More to come
The GA version of the Migration Assistant available for customers later this summer. In the meantime, please download the preview and let us know what you think in the comments section.
Try it now and give us your feedback!
- Download SQL Server Migration Assistant for Datazen
- Read the Datazen end of life blog post – Link
- Post in the Reporting Services forum (or if you prefer, send us an email)
- Join the conversation on Twitter: @SQLServerBI, #SSRS