SQL Server 2016 Upgrade Advisor Preview is a standalone tool that enables users of prior versions of SQL Server to identify what they need to do to upgrade their SQL Server database to a more recent version of SQL Server.
By running an upgrade assessment, users can pinpoint breaking changes, behavior changes and use of deprecated features.
In addition the tool can:
- help automate upgrade schema and data motion
- assess whether a schema would benefit from new features
You can download SQL Server 2016 Upgrade Advisor here.
What’s new in this release?
- Increased number of compatibility rules
- Support of more sources and destinations:
- Possible sources: SQL Server 2005/2008/2008R2/2012/2014/2016
- Possible destinations: SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 or Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- Recommendations of usage of new features such as In-Memory OLTP, Columnstore index and Stretch Database
We are looking forward to reading your feedback here below.
The upgrade and migration team