SQL 2008/2008 R2/2012/2014 setup disappears/fails when installing Setup Support files

I’m sure many of you would have seen this issue when running SQL 2008/2008 R2/2012/2014 setup on a new server. The setup will proceed to install Setup support files, the window will disappear but, strangely enough, the next window never shows up.

Here’s what you need to do:

1. Click on start->run and type %temp% and press enter (basically, go to the temp folder)
  2. Here, look for SQLSetup.log and SQLSetup_1.log. Open the SQLSetup_1.log file. In there, check for the following messages:
    04/16/2012 17:16:47.950 Error: Failed to launch process
    04/16/2012 17:16:47.952 Error: Failed to launch local setup100.exe: 0x80070003

Typically, you get this error only in SQL 2008, SQL 2008 R2, SQL 2012 and SQL 2014. The steps are slightly different for all 4, and I’ve tried to outline them here.

Warning: These steps involve modification of the windows registry, a highly sensitive component of the Operating System. Before proceeding, please ensure you take a complete backup of the registry.

SQL Server 2008

1. Save the following in a text file, change the extension to .reg, double-click on the file, and on the prompt that appears, select yes to populate the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100Bootstrap]
“BootstrapDir”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Setup Bootstrap\\”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap\Setup]
“PatchLevel”=”10.0.1600.22”

2. Next, copy the following files and folders from the media to the specified destinations:

File/Folder in media Destination
X64/X86 (depending on what architecture you want to install) C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release
Setup.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release
Setup.rll C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release\Resources\1033

Next, re-run the setup, and it should proceed beyond the point of error this time.

SQL Server 2008 R2

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap]

“PatchLevel”=”10.50.1600.00”

File/Folder in media Destination
X64/X86 folder (depending on what architecture you want to install) C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2
Setup.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2
Resources folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2

SQL Server 2012

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Bootstrap]
“BootstrapDir”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\110\\Setup Bootstrap\\”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Bootstrap\Setup]
“PatchLevel”=”11.00.2100.60”

File/Folder in media Destination
X64/X86 folder (depending on what architecture you want to install) C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012
Setup.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012
Resources folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012

SQL Server 2014

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Bootstrap]
“BootstrapDir”=”C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\120\\Setup Bootstrap\\”

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server120BootstrapSetup]
“PatchLevel”=”12.00.2000.80”

File/Folder in media Destination
X64/X86 folder (depending on what architecture you want to install) C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014
Setup.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014
Resources folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2014

As always, comments/suggestions/feedback are welcome and solicited.

1. Thanks, your post help me get a stubborn 2008 R2 install going.

2. Thanks so much for appreciating the effort, Radu….it's always good to know my blogs help….!!! 🙂

3. I had the same issue occur for me (SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2003 R2). My fix was installing Windows PowerShell 2.0. Re-ran the install, and it worked with no issues.

4. Hi Hambino…thanks for showing interest in the blog.

I've seen powershell installation create issues with SQL setup, but never seen it cause the SQL setup to disappear when installing setup support files. I think looking at the setup logs from  your failed attempt should be quite interesting.

Please feel free to mail me on harshdeep.singh@microsoft.com if you would like to investigate this further with me.

Thanks,

5. John allman says:

Great information!!!

6. Eitel Lauria says:

Hi HarshDeep, I did what you mentioned  (I'm having trouble with SQL Server 2012 enterprise Ed), but when I run setup again for the SQL Server Installation  Center / New SQL Server stand-alone installation.. (I assume that you mean running a regular setup, not from the command line), it passes all the setup support rules, but then I get I get the  following error:

SQL Server Setup failure.

——————————

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The SQL Server license agreement cannot be located for the selected edition, ENTERPRISE. This could be a result of corrupted media or the edition being unsupported by the media.

Error code 0x858C001B.

I'm pretty sure that the media is fine (I'm running it from a mounted ISO located in my C drive, and this same ISO was installed in my notebook without any flaws

7. Eitel Lauria says:

IS there actually a way to start from scratch (clean slate)  deleting all SQL Server files that may have been partially installed and all registry keys?

8. Pavol says:

Man, you saved my ass!

Thanks.

9. LOLz…you're welcome Pavol…!!!

10. StressedEngineer says:

Thanks HarshDeep, you've just saved me bigtime! 😀

11. You're very welcome, my friend…!!! Thanks so much for appreciating…!!!! 🙂

12. Mangat Ram says:

It's Brilliant ………….me facing the same problem..

It helps a lot

I have one more issue::—-

i changed the sql server instance name from sql server management studio but not able to connect server with the new instance name it still connecting with old instance name

13. Hi Mangat,

Thanks for appreciating the blog.

You cannot change the SQL instance once it is installed. If you really want to change the instance name, you need to uninstall and reinstall it with the new instance name, and then attach all the user db's back in. You can, however, change the computer name, and that can be reflected in the connection string using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver.

Hope this answers your question. Do let me know if you need anything else.

14. sud says:

I didnt get it those steps abt registry settings please Explain those as i am facing the same prpoblem

15. Sriram says:

Thanks very much for the detailed help on this Harshdeep. Much appreciated.

However, one distinct thing I noticed from this was that the setup files need to be on the Windows Installation Drive (usually C). Actually I replicated this issue once again on a different system and then I just moved the setup files from D to C and installed again (without doing the registry tweaks) and it worked perfectly. Indeed quite strange!

16. tmay245 says:

Good stuff, thanks!

17. Biswanath says:

Thanks…It worked..

18. Thanks Biswanath and tmay245….!!!!

19. hi, i have the same issue trying to install sql server 2012 express on windows 7 home premium, i have other same windows with sql server 2012 working, but this time i cant install it, i do all steps and nothing works. Is any other way to fix Error code 0x858C001B ?

20. Hi Cesardgo,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. To determine the exact reason for failure, we'll need access to the Setup log files (found in the setup bootstraplog folder). Please email me if you'd like to investigate this further.

21. DK says:

Hello HarshDeep, am having an issue when installing SQL 2012 STD on windows server 2012.

the setup passes all prerequisites. the setup failed with "cannot retrieve data setuprll" event ID 50000.

we thought that it was a corrupted media, even changing it + copy the setup files and run keep failing with the same error.

can you please assist the issue. its critical.

22. Hi DK,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. It seems that the issue you're facing is different from the one outlined in this blog. For immediate assistance, I would recommend you open a case with Microsoft Customer Support without further delay.

23. almora says:

Thanks!

24. lucky says:

thanks!

25. You're welcome  Firat and Lucky…!!!

26. Joe says:

Hi Harshdeep,

I'm afraid I've really pooched my SQL 2008 R2 Express.  I had this working for about 2 years and then all of a sudden my SQL Server service failed to start (sorry, I did not save the error).  I tried to uninstall everything that had to do with MS SQL from Add/Remove programs and experienced errors with the removal of some components.  I then checked google and found a few articles on how to manually remove SQL Server by deleting reg entries, renaming folders, etc.  Long storing short, it didn't work.  Now I'm left with a non working SQL Server and cannot reinstall.  I followed your instructions above but was not sure where the "Resources" folder is located.  I'm really hoping you could guide me to resolve this issue or at the very least tell me how to completely remove SQL Server 2008 R2 Express so I can start from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

27. Joe says:

Harshdeep,

I've made some progress and was able to remove SQL Server and I've gotten past the issue of installation exiting after the Setup Support Files step.  However, my install is now failing with a MOF Syntax Error.  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joe

28. Hey Joe,

Thanks so much for reaching out, and for putting up a detailed write up of your issue. Sorry i couldn't respond earlier (an email would have been better). Could you please paste the text of the MOF error message here? Alternatively, you can also email me so we can take this offline.

Thanks,

29. Russweb says:

The mentioned registry entries did not exist.

So I moved on to copy the files to the spots indicated. Still have same failure.

30. Russweb says:

From Log:

05/03/2013 12:40:56.837 Attempting to launch process C:InstallersSQL 2008 R2x64setup100.exe

05/03/2013 12:41:25.603 Process returned exit code: 0x84BC0057

05/03/2013 12:41:25.603 Workflow COMPONENTUPDATE returned exit code: 0x84BC0057

05/03/2013 12:41:25.603 Attempting to determine security.config file path

05/03/2013 12:41:25.603 Attempting to load .Net security policy file

05/03/2013 12:41:25.603 Attempting to remove .Net security code group node

31. Hi Russweb,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. I would like to point out 2 things here:

1. The mentioned registry entries "should" exist. This is why I have requested to save the text in a .reg file and double click to merge those entries.

2. The error code that this blog is for is 0x80070003, which is different from the one you're getting. So, even though I feel the steps outlined above are worth a shot, it's quite possible that you're facing a different issue altogether.

Kindly email me the complete setup logs if you would like to take this further.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

32. Lexa says:

Спасибо дорогой! =) Дай Бог тебе здоровья!

33. Thank you Lexa. Glad to know it helped.

34. Hello HarshDeep,

I received the below error lines in my sql server 2012 express install. Should I attemp the 2012 fix with my error messages?

Error Lines:

06/12/2013 00:07:33.760 Error: Failed to launch process

06/12/2013 00:07:33.761 Error: Failed to launch local ScenarioEngine.exe: 0x80070003

Does merge to registry mean, save the lines in a .reg file, then double click?

Thx William

35. Hi William,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. Yes, merging to registry means saving the contents in a .reg file and then double click to merge the entries into the registry on the server. However, in my case the error was for the setup100.exe "Failed to launch local setup100.exe: 0x80070003", but in your case, it's the ScenarioEngine.exe that seems to be failing, so i am not sure if the same fix will work.

If you can afford taking a risk, go ahead, Otherwise, i would recommend that you open up a case with Microsoft CSS to troubleshoot this problem.

36. Harsh,

Thanks for your reply.

William

37. Hello Harsh,

Follow-up to "Failed to launch local ScenarioEngine.exe: 0x80070003" error.

I uninstalled all sql server instances and components; the re-install of sql server 2012, was then successful.

William

38. karthick says:

how t o uninstall sql server 2008 R2

39. bustry1 says:

Great this worked SQL Server 2008 R2

makapenga daddy

40. Hi Karthick,

I believe the question you have is a general one, and not exactly relevant to this blog post. I would request you to post your query on msdn forums to get the it answered by the community.

Harsh

41. Thanks for appreciating Bustry1. Glad to know it helped.

42. Lee says:

This is Lee from Malaysia, thanks so much for the solution!

43. You're welcome Lee. Thanks so much for appreciating.

44. Ranjith says:

Thank you very much worked for me in emergence time

45. Thanks for appreciating Ranjith….you're most welcome…!!!

46. Harshavardhan.Simpi says:

Hi,

i am going to install sql 2008 r2 enterprise edition in my laptop i.e windows 7. before that i used sql server 2008 express edition. i just uninstalled express edition and trying to install sql 2008 r2 enterprise edition but when i start installation after giving product key and clicked on 'install' button it will disappears installation and end the installation. there is no error message i saw.

i tried above steps for first time installation but all services not installed then i uninstalled  and for second time installation folder 'bootstrap' is not found in 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100'.

please i need suggestions and guidance. thank u in advance….:

47. Satish P says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Jahapana thussi great ho..

Thofa kubool Karo.. 🙂

48. Thank you for putting it together, Harsha! It has helped many people. Great job!

49. haha… Thanks a lot Satish…!!!

50. Thanks Prashant…that means a lot, coming from the Setup guru himself…!!!

51. Kanchan Singh says:

hii m unable to open my SQL SERVER 2012

my msg is

'Canot find one or more components.Please erinstall the application

which step i shoud follow..?

52. Hi Kanchan,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. I am not clear on what you mean when you say "unable to open SQL Server 2012". Are you trying to run SQL Server setup, or are you trying to log into the SQL 2012 instance from SQL Server Management studio?

If it is the former, please check the setup to make sure its not corrupted (try downloading and installing SQL 2012 express, to make sure it's not something to do with the configuration on the server).

Hope this helps.

53. Gobinda sharma says:

I would like to inform you all that the stubborn installation has been completed successfully using edition upgrade approach.

Initially, I installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Developers Edition(64-bit) on Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 server and later upgraded to Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2008 R2(64-bit), and it worked for me.

54. Hi Gobinda,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. I am happy to hear that the installation completed successfully. Can you please confirm if you were seeing the same symptoms as outlined in the blog above, and what exact steps you took to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,

55. Med T says:

Big up ^^

56. Vishal says:

Thnx HarshDeep….article helped me lot….big thnx 🙂

57. GP Van Eron says:

Thanks for the tip.   Worked great!

58. Saliu says:

Does this work if you have reg editor v6.1?

59. Nite0wls says:

Man you SAVED my day! I was stuck with this and bumped into your post by accident, FABULOUS FANTASTIC!

60. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks for appreciating Nite0wls, I'm delighted to know my blog helped resolve your issue…!!!

61. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Saliu,

Yes, it should still work. If it doesn't, try changing the Windows Registry Editor version and try again.

Thanks,

62. Saraf says:

Harsh – it seems i have gone past the issue but now I am getting rule "number of cluster nodes supported for edition" failed. This is standard edtion sql 2008 r2 with 2 node cluster. The registry entries you mentioned up, were already there so i did not do anything. Please advise.

63. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Saraf…thanks for showing interest in the blog. I believe you're now hitting an unrelated issue. One of the things I'd recommend is that you post your question on the forums so that it can be answered by our experts.

It looks to be an environment specific issue. I'd strongly recommend opening a case with Microsoft CSS so that they can review the environment and determine the best corrective action.

64. Manish says:

thanks a lot Harshdeep. It works perfectly!!!

65. HarshDeep_Singh says:

You're welcome Manish. Glad to know it helped.

66. hari sharan pathak says:

i haven't found any error that you have mention but my problem is same. I opened setuplog file and found this ending msg:

Setup closed with exit code: 0x80070003

can you please help? I am desperately searching all over the internet but i can't find the solution.

Actually firstly i have installed it without any problem but after that i had uninstall sql from control pannel and after that  i just want to reinstall and got the same problem….setup window disappear

67. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Hari,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. Can you please confirm if you've followed the steps outlined in the blog specific to the version of SQL that you're trying to install?

68. Terence Jordan says:

Thanks, this worked

69. Goran Ristovski says:

Hi to All,

I have tried the procedure above but didn't worked for me. I have found a Microsoft tool that did all the work.

support.microsoft.com/…/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Run it – choose the second option (manually to check what to fix)

then choose uninstall and select the Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine..(or other thing starting with Microsoft SQL Server)

Start the tool as many times as objects like Microsoft SQL Server are shown in the list

Hope this helps to anyone

70. Mark Saunders says:

Hi HarshDeep…  your thread had been recommended to me by way of another blog thread. 🙂  My question to you, regarding your steps above following the registry steps,  I use a .exe for installing SQLServer2008 R2 from microsoft.  How do i get to the individual program/folders, i.e. setup.exe, X64/X86 folder and the Resource folder if the install is a .exe?  Sorry if this question sounds a little simple, am I missing something in your steps?

Take Care and thank you for your help.

Mark Saunders

71. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reaching out. I believe the original setup media comes as an ISO file, which, when mounted, should show you all the folders mentioned above. In case you're trying to install the Express edition, which does come as an exe, you can use the /x switch from the command prompt to extract it. It should look like this:

c:><SQLExpressExeName> /x

Hope this helps.

72. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Goran,

I believe that even though the symptoms you faced might have been similar, the issue was rather with some corrupted keys in the registry of the server you were working on. This blog talks about a scenario where the registry keys are not corrupted.

73. bruno damaso says:

Excelente, gracias por el aporte, tenia rato sufriendo con la instalacion

74. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Eres muy Bienvenido Bruno…!!! Gracias por apreciar…!!!

75. Khan says:

Hi HarshDeep

Can you plz guide me. i am stuck. i dont know that reg thing. i cant find 110 folder in regedit and really messed up. plz guide me i will be really thankful.

Thanks

76. Ruben Norori says:

Excellent thats work fine… for me. Thank you

77. Abhijeet says:

I followed your steps but no luck. I have sent you the logs on your email address mentioned in the above thread. just not sure if its the OS which is causing the issue. I am using win 8.1

78. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Ruben for appreciating.

79. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Abhijeet,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog, and for reaching out. SQL Server setup can fail for a variety of reasons, and the issue you're facing seems to be different from the one outlined in this blog.

If you have already tried the steps mentioned in this blog, please post your issue on msdn forums to get it answered by our community of experts. You can also open a support case with Microsoft CSS to have a support engineer troubleshoot the issue.

P.S. SQL Server standard edition is supported on windows 8.1 (but not enterprise).

Hope this helps.

80. JohnLee says:

My system is 2012 MSSQLSERVER developer with WIN8.1.

After entering product key, install setup files screen showed up & then just disappeared.

(running setup from DOS shows that it appears to just hang)

Your instructions above for 2012 didn't work for me:

I got "SQM Service: Sqm does not have active session." in Detail_ComponentUpdate.txt

WIN8.1 may not support 2012-developer by support.microsoft.com/…/Program_Install_and_Uninstall as the "run now" button is blacked out; below that, "We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time."

HarshDeep, if possible, please leave your email so I can email you.

Thanks, John

81. Mark Saunders says:

Thanks Harshdeep for your piece of information:  c:><SQLExpressExeName> /x  this did help.

My Apologies for the delay in getting back to you with the THANK YOU.. 🙂

Take care

82. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi JohnLee,

you can email me on Harshdeep_singh@hotmail.com

Thanks,

83. HarshDeep_Singh says:

You're very welcome Mark, glad to know it helped..!!!

84. Adrian Hincu says:

Thanks a lot for this!

85. HarshDeep_Singh says:

You're very welcome Adrian…thanks for appreciating…!!!

86. A,lkex says:

Why can't Microsoft make things that actually work

87. Alex says:

I have a SQL Server 2012 installation and the registry key and fiiles were already there but still get this issue.

88. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Alex,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. So far as I know, there's not a single software in the world that works perfectly, in every environment and use case, 100% of the time.

To be able to better assist you, I need to take a look at the logs. It would be great if you can paste the content from the SQLSetup.log and SQLSetup_1.log in the %temp% folder (as discussed in the initial portion of this blog.

Thanks,

89. Surikov Denis says:

Thank you. You solved my problem with sql2008R2.

90. collins says:

this explanation is too hard … can you give an easy direction ???? please email  me the easier direction or post  another easy direction  here …………   ogonna.collins@hotmail.com

91. adnan mohammed says:

I have the same.problem as outlined above, but mine is slightly different as I don't see the the error msg. I could see the code though…

92. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks Surikov…glad to know it helped.

93. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Collins,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. I apologize if the instructions seem too hard, but this is the only way I know of solving this issue . Maybe you want to show this to one of your senior DBA's? Do feel free to reach me on Harshdeep_singh@hotmail.com

Thanks.

94. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Adnan,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. If you look closely, the symptoms are that the setup disappears without an error message. However, you should still see the following messages in the SQLSetup or SQLSetup_1  log:

04/16/2012 17:16:47.950 Error: Failed to launch process

04/16/2012 17:16:47.952 Error: Failed to launch local setup100.exe: 0x80070003

Hope this helps.

95. San says:

Thanks a lot :)))) 😀

96. HarshDeep_Singh says:

You're welcome San…thanks for appreciating…!!!

97. Patch says:

Hi there,

I did try your way, but I can't merge the registry value and I got this error: This program is blocked by group policy, for more information contact Systems Administrator. Would you please advise?

Thanks!

98. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Patch,

Thanks for showing interest in the blog. Can you please check for the following:

1. Make sure you're a local admin on the box

2. Ensure there are no group policies in place which prevent merging registry entries into the registry using .reg files. You may need to reach out to the domain admins for this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

99. Patch says:

Hi Harsh,

Thanks so much! It works!

100. HarshDeep_Singh says:

You're welcome Patch…glad to know it worked…!!!

101. Ayu says:

Awesome, it worked for me ;-). Many thanks. You saved my day.

102. Praveen says:

Thanks It worked for me. Worked on this for many days but not able to solve the issue. Thanks following these steps solved my problem. thanks once again.

103. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Ayu and Praveen. Glad to know my blog helped.

104. Sukhi says:

You are just awesome. I was stuck for hours…

105. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks for appreciating Sukhi…happy to be of help…!!!

106. Nisha says:

Thanks it worked for me as well!!

107. Herman says:

Can you please explain how to "Save the following in a .reg file and merge to populate the registry:" I don't understand what that means. What do I save it as? Thanks.

108. Sandeep says:

I have win8.1, installing sql server 2012 developer edition, i also tried 2014 edition.

both not working for SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT TOOL, all other tools works.

error= cannot find one or more component. please reinstall…

i tried changing the reg value to 11.00.2100.60, but 2012 developer has 11.1.3000.0. why 2100?

skyhasapple@gmail.com

109. Richard A. says:

Thanks for posting this. I followed the instructions for SQL 2012 and I'm now being prompted with "Browse for Folder." I've tried pointing it at the folder setup.exe is in, but no joy.

110. rajat says:

the install box disappears during the installation of setup files for sql 2012 in my win 8.1

i tried the above steps mentioned by you to merge with  .reg file and copy the contents but the problem continues

here are the last  statements of sqlsetup log file

05/19/2014 14:12:50.308 Install media path: H:x64setup

05/19/2014 14:12:50.339 Media layout: Full

05/19/2014 14:12:50.355 Attempting to get execution timestamp

05/19/2014 14:12:50.371 Timestamp: 20140519_141243

05/19/2014 14:12:50.402 Attempting to run workflow LANDINGPAGE

05/19/2014 14:12:50.417 Attempting to launch process H:x64ScenarioEngine.exe

here are the last  statements of sqlsetup1 log file

05/19/2014 14:15:56.983 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP00.DAT completed with status: hr = 0  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.046 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP01.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.077 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP02.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.093 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP03.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.140 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP04.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.171 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP05.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.187 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP06.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.233 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP07.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.249 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP08.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.265 SQM: Uploading file C:UsersRAJATAppDataLocalMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110SQLSQLSETUP09.DAT completed with status: hr = -2147483376  Http Response = 503.

05/19/2014 14:15:57.296 SQM: SqmWaitForUploadComplete() returns with success

05/19/2014 14:15:57.312 Setup closed with exit code: 0x80070003

05/19/2014 14:15:57.327 ======================================================================

111. Sheoib says:

For those who have difficulty installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 just change the path 110 to 120 and the patchlevel to 12.0.2000.80

112. alachowski says:

Great, I have been in deep… now sun is shining again. Thanks.

113. Mohammed Hanif says:

Thanks a lot, it did solve my problem Harshdeep

114. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks alachowski and Mohammed Hanif for your kind words..I am glad you found my blog useful.

115. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Sheoib,

Thanks for the tip. However, I believe just those two steps are not sufficient. I have updated the blog to include the steps for SQL 2014 as well.

116. derzthine42 says:

hi i tried your solution but ti doesnt work for me.. im running windows 7 pro x64 and trying to install sqlserver 2008 enterprise.. the setup still disappears, and one thing more, there is no resources folder on the destination drive.. i  tried also to delete the C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100 folder after trying ur solution but still no luck.. thanks.

117. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi derzthine42, thanks for showing interest in the blog. If the resources folder does not exist, then there is an issue with your install. Please try to uninstall all SQL 2008 components, and then try again. If you're unable to perform the uninstall in a clean manner, please open a support case with Microsoft CSS, and they should be able to help you out. Hope this helps.

118. Sachinsingh says:

Hi Harsh,

Thankf for the blog —

I am facing this issue while installation of SQL 200r2 express advance edition

os – 2k8

earlier – sql experess was installed now i have remvoed it…

06/26/2014 11:28:10.598 SQM: SqmWaitForUploadComplete() returns with failure

06/26/2014 11:28:10.630 Setup closed with exit code: 0x80070003

06/26/2014 11:28:10.645

any help

119. Jaswantjit Parmar says:

Harshdeep Paaji,

Thanks man, that helped a ton. Just for the record, I needed to move EVERY file from the setup extraction [SQL Express 2012] to C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server110Setup BootstrapSQLServer2012; not just the ones you mentioned. Otherwise I kept on receiving an error stating that the version was not compatible with the media.

Thanks again!

-Jaz

120. harika says:

the install box disappears during the installation of setup files for sql 2012 in my win 7 32 os

i tried the above steps mentioned by you..that  to merge with  .reg file afte editing  and copy the contents in sql server file and re run…..but still  the problem continues and again  i got below error

The SQL Server license agreement cannot be located for the selected edition, EVAL. This could be a result of corrupted media or the edition being unsupported by the media.

Error code 0x858C001B.

so can u give me ay solution as soon as..

121. Sonia says:

Hi,

please i need suggestions and guidance. thank u in advance….:

122. Lavanya says:

Thanks for sharing this Harsh Deep ..The blog helped me a lot.

123. Bazz says:

I have the same problem. I changed bootstrap setup location, but have no effect. Then i have found solution.

For successful instalation of SQL 2012 on 2012 servers check that you use the same: OS localization, format, interface language and the SQL intallation language/localization.

124. Andy says:

I also just had this problem, but I haven't seen my solution anywhere so I thought I would contribute.  I was installing SQL Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation edition in hyper v.  The Server Evaluation Edition lasts for 180 days but it still has to be activated.  If you don't activate it, after 10 days it will start restarting itself every hour (I believe this is what also happens after 180 days).  Activation happens automatically once you connect the machine to the internet.

What I had done is allow this 10 day period to elapse, and I hadn't connected the machine to the internet.  I then tried installing SQL Server and got this error.  The key was activating windows server.  After I activated it, I was able to install SQL Server without any issues.

Note that the fix above also worked for me.  I was able to install SQL Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 that hadn't been activated and had gone over 10 days as well.

Just something else to try anyway!

125. Nguyen says:

It worked like a charm. You are so amazing.

Thank for your helpful post.

126. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Sachinsingh,

0x80070003 basically means windows error 3, which stands for "the system cannot find the file path specified". I would request you to verify that all the paths used in the installation exist (and the account running setup has full control on those paths) and then try again.

127. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Jaz..thanks for sharing your experience. This blog only covers the installation of full editions of SQL. The requirements and steps can be different for SQL Express. Thanks.

128. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Harika,

It's extremely difficult to troubleshoot the issue based on just the install box disappearing, but if I had to hazard a  guess, based on the error, it would seem that the setup media is corrupted. I would request you to download the media from the msdn website once again and try again. Hope this helps. Thanks.

129. HarshDeep_Singh says:

hi Sonia, if the bootstrap folder does not exist, you can go ahead and create it, as long as you're familiar with the folder structure (use another SQL box in your environment which has SQL 2008 R2 for comparison). Hope this helps.

130. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Lavanya for appreciating…happy to know the blog helped.

131. HarshDeep_Singh says:

hi Bazz, thanks for sharing that information. The solution that you mentioned is actually a known one, and Microsoft support has for several years recommended to keep the localization, language, etc. for SQL  the same as the OS. Thanks.

132. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hey Andy, thanks for sharing that very interesting experience of yours. I would say having a registered and activated copy of windows is pretty much a prerequisite for SQL Server installation, so in a way that behavior was expected. Thanks for the detailed write-up though.

133. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Nguyen for appreciating…happy to know my blog helped.

134. mani says:

i have uninstalled sql server 2012 for some reason, again i tried to install sql server 2012 it is installed successfully, but unable to login, it is showing soem 40 error, before it was working fine. i want to install SSIS so in uninstalled. pls send me mail to 'mmanikandan681@gmail.com', i did not uninstalled properly

135. upendra says:

Dear Mr.Harshdeep sinur systemgh

when i uninstalling sql server 2008 r2 setup file from control panel it shows error

that it could not be uninstall some another file install in your syatem

File Name – sql server rsfx

error-26003

pleae help me very soon

upendra sharma

136. Adithya says:

Here what is media ..what it refers

137. Shafaqat Ali says:

Aoa,

I have following Error during installation.

TITLE: SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup

——————————

The following error has occurred:

Could not write value  to key SOFTWARE.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

For help, click: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

138. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi mani…thanks for showing interest in the blog. It seems that the symptoms you're facing are different from the ones outlined in this blog. Please call into Microsoft CSS and get a support ticket opened. They should be able to help you out.

139. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Upendra…thanks for showing interest in the blog. It seems to me that you need to need what's known as a manual cleanup. Unfortunately, that is a very complex operation and shouldn't be performed without the live supervision of a sql server expert. I would request you to call into  Microsoft css and get a support ticket opened. They should be able to help you out.

140. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Adithya…media refers to the setup/sql server installation media. Thanks.

141. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Shafaqat…thanks for showing interest in the blog. Please make sure the account from which you're running setup is an administrator on the server where the installation is being performed. Hope this helps.

142. Shafaqat ali says:

hi sir i used administrator account and have full rights but problem is still and please check your email account

143. Shafaqat Ali says:

HarshDeep_Singh  you there? i have a problem and i send email with complete info

144. Ali says:

I tried installing sqlserver 2008r2. How do i get this to work using your steps. How do i modify the registry step by step to achieve this

145. Osborne says:

would you pls email me step by step on how to get my sqlserver2008r2 on windows 8.1@ozotieno@gmail.com

146. Vijay says:

Hi Harsha Deep,

I am installing cluster sql 2012 while installing on passive node, getting same issue , can you suggest me

I ddnt not understand,  @registry key levels.

147. Verdhinant says:

Hello i dont know what  does this mean by "Save the following in a .reg file and merge to populate the registry" all of those words, does it mean i need to save it in regedit(meaning "modify or adding to regedit" ?) and what does it mean by "merge to populate the registery"?

and how to do it ?

sorry if this's some kind of a trouble question, im really tired because of searching of how to fix the sql server 2008 r2 for 4 hrs, and now, i also got this error,,, OMG. x-x and its around 4 am now … x-x

148. Trail182 says:

Thanks – very useful article!

149. Sebastian says:

Buenos tardes,

Veo que esta solución ha trabajado en bastantes casos.

Tengo una duda respecto a los archivos reg. donde lo debo guardar o ubicar…

Muchas gracias

150. Cristian says:

Hello, I´m sorry… i have the same problem but i dont undertand this step´

"1. Save the following in a .reg file and merge to populate the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100Bootstrap]

"BootstrapDir"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100BootstrapSetup]

"PatchLevel"="10.50.1600.00""

Can you explain me how to do that?

Thank you!

151. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi All,

Thank you for the tremendous response and interest in this blog. Considering the number of comments about the steps to modify the registry, I've modified the blog to explain those steps in much better detail. I hope this helps.

152. Ajay Raj says:

Its Working Properly.. Nice Tip

Thank You Bro…!

153. jcmanjar says:

Hello,

Thank you very much. Very usefull post

154. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Ajay and jcmanjar for your kind words. I am glad to know the blog helped.

155. Madhu says:

Hi Harsh Deep,

Thank you very much. Very useful post. Followed same steps given by you and it is working fine.

156. Madhu says:

Hi ,

Getting error while creating a new database.

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm, Version=10.0.0.0,

Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies.

The system cannot find the file specified. (SqlMgmt)

Please suggest me

Thanks

Madhu

157. Sivaji Ganesh says:

Worked perfectly for a SQL Server 2008 R2 install. Thank you !!!!

158. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Madhu,

Thanks for expressing interest in the blog. I am glad to know the install was successful.

Unfortunately, I believe the database creation error is unrelated to the topic discussed in this blog post. I would suggest you post your question on msdn forums to get the fastest and most relevant resolution.

159. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Thanks a lot Sivaji, I'm glad to know the solution worked for you.

Cheers,

160. emptybox says:

Thanks so much  ..

161. Devesh says:

This really saved my day ..thank you so much!!

162. Wizard says:

For those having license error (Error code 0x858C001B), you need to do the following as well..

Delete the following keys in regedit:

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMSSQLServer

3) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall  and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

4) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

5) Delete all the SQL Server folders in the computer

6) lastly go to control panel and uninstall all SQL server installations if still there..

7) Then run the registry file given by HarshDeep again..

Now run the setup again.. it should work.

163. Ahmed Abdalla says:

That was really useful. Thank you very much

164. Omar says:

I did exactly like you said but it disappeared too

165. Chris Garrison says:

When I try to install SQL Server 2012 setup disappears/fails when installing Setup Support files

I tried to manually delete SQL Developer and damaged the registry. The folders Bootstrap are not present

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110Bootstrap]

"BootstrapDir"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server110BootstrapSetup]

"PatchLevel"="11.00.2100.60"

This file creates this error-The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary files

IS there actually a way to start from scratch (clean slate) after  deleting all SQL Server files that may have been partially installed and all registry keys?

166. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi All, thanks for your kind words. I am glad you found the blog useful.

167. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi Chris,

Apart from reimaging the OS, the only other way to achieve the proverbial "clean slate" is to perform what is generally called a manual cleanup of SQL from the box. Unfortunately, there is no documented or supported way to do it, mainly because it's a highly complex and risky process. I would recommend that you open a support case with Microsoft CSS and work with them to accomplish the same. Hope this helps.

168. Gautam says:

Hi Harsh Depp,

Thank you very much. Really helpfull post.

169. Prashanth Jayaram says:

Great Content!

Thanks for sharing.

–Prashanth

170. Jagmeet singh says:

thank you very much sir its working now

171. Frazer says:

Hi i'm having the same problem when trying to install sql express 2014 but the log file doesn't show any error.  see below

02/05/2015 10:18:26.340 Processing entry ("MICROSOFT.SQLSERVER.CONFIGURATION.XTP.CONFIGEXTENSION.RESOURCES", "Native")

02/05/2015 10:18:26.403 Saved .Net security policy file

02/05/2015 10:18:26.434 Strong name verification disabling is not required

02/05/2015 10:18:26.465 /? or /HELP or /ACTION=HELP specified: false

02/05/2015 10:18:26.496 Help display: false

02/05/2015 10:18:26.512 Attempting to launch landing page workflow

02/05/2015 10:18:26.543 Media source: C:#STORESQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU

02/05/2015 10:18:26.574 Install media path: C:#STORESQLEXPRWT_x64_ENUx64setup

02/05/2015 10:18:26.621 Media layout: Advanced

02/05/2015 10:18:26.637 Attempting to get execution timestamp

02/05/2015 10:18:26.668 Timestamp: 20150205_101817

02/05/2015 10:18:26.684 Attempting to run workflow LANDINGPAGE

02/05/2015 10:18:26.700 Attempting to launch process C:#STORESQLEXPRWT_x64_ENUx64ScenarioEngine.exe

I've followed the instructions above but any help would be great.

thanks

172. Frazer says:

just re- run the install using admin permissiona nd got 0x84C40013

173. Ruben Mendes says:

Install Microsoft FixIT and remove all SQL server entries and it works!

174. Omkar says:

Thanks Harsh its working.. 🙂

175. RAHUL says:

sir ,i m installing sql server 2008 r2 .bt after installing setup support rule screen will diappear,so i did all steps that you mentioned above but still showing same error.what to do sir ????

176. Shweta says:

Hello Sir,

I am installing SQL server 2008 R2 express in silent mode i. e. using command line using asp.net C# code.Window OS is XP 32-bit.

Installation process disappeared giving below errors.

Kindly help !!

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Setup launched

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Attempting to determine media sourc

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Media source value not specified on command line argument.

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Setup is launched from media directly so default the value to the current folder.

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Media source: c:189dad72b3799c0683

03/09/2015 13:19:47.685 Attempt to determine media layout based on file 'c:189dad72b3799c0683mediainfo.xml'.

03/09/2015 13:19:47.778 Media layout is detected as: Core

03/09/2015 13:19:47.778 Media LCID is detected as: 1033

03/09/2015 13:19:47.778 Current running setup.exe full path: c:189dad72b3799c0683setup.exe

03/09/2015 13:19:47.778 Media setup.exe file version detected: 2007.100.1600.22

03/09/2015 13:19:47.778 Locally installed setup.exe full path: c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100Setup BootstrapReleasesetup.exe

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Local setup.exe file version detected: 2007.100.1600.22

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Local setup.exe version 2007.100.1600.22 is equal or greater than media version 2007.100.1600.22, so re-launching setup.exe from local

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Media source: c:189dad72b3799c0683

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Install media path: c:189dad72b3799c0683x86setup

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Media layout: Core

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Attempting to get execution timestamp

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Timestamp: 20150309_131947

03/09/2015 13:19:47.794 Attempting to launch local setup.exe

03/09/2015 13:19:47.810 Attempting to launch process c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server100Setup BootstrapReleasesetup.exe

03/09/2015 13:19:55.966 Process returned exit code: 0x84B40003

03/09/2015 13:19:55.966 Local setup.exe returned exit code: 0x84B40003

03/09/2015 13:19:55.966 Setup closed with exit code: 0x84C40013

177. Akilesh says:

Hi sir,

I'm installing SQL server 2008 on my windows 7 laptop. I'm facing the problem setup will disappears while installing so, i did ur solution after that i will click the setup file it shows that ur operating system is of x86 architecture. The media is not supported for installing. Please give me a solution

178. MWANDERSEN says:

Great thanks !"!!!

179. dhanu says:

Thanks Dear…

It worked.. and saved my time..

180. PilgrimX says:

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Just one thing. You need to copy also SQLSETUPBOOTSTRAPPER.dll with setup.exe. Without that you may get error about missing dll.

Hope it helps.

181. Manpreet says:

I tried in Sql Server 2008 R2 but i didnt solved my problem

182. rwahlert says:

Thanks for this post.  I was installing SQL Server 2012 SP1 Runtime on a Windows Server2012 R2 box and the installation would stop after the install files setup screen.

Your advice saved the day.

183. HarshDeep_Singh says:

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad to know the blog helped resolve your issue.

184. Harshavardhan savant says:

hi Harsh sir ,

harshavardhan Here so please help us , when Start  Set-up of SQL 2008 R2 support file has been completed after that Not geting Respon From Sql Setup  so What Should I do?

185. Gantz says:

I did what you said and now a black box labled SQL Server Setup pops up with jsut an ok button then nothing happens

186. Sumit Manapure says:

Thanks a bunch. It works for me on SQL 2014

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.  SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:  The system cannot find the file specified.

187. Lokesh says:

Dear Mr. Hardeep,

I'm installing SQL 2008 R2 but it comes out after support file installation. I have checked the log and found    " Setup closed with exit code: 0x84C40013"

Please inform me what we have to do ??

188. Thanks for sharing your knowledge says:

I thought I had to reinstall everything again, but your post saved me a lot of struggle, thanks a lot

In my case I also had to copy the PCUSOURCE and the 1033_ENU_LP folders

Thanks

189. Aisha Younas says:

i made a bad mistake plz help asap….i forgot to backup the registry and now the setup is not running at all..how can i undo the changes in registry…

190. venkat says:

hi i am facing this problem while installing db2 client in windows server 2008. when i click setup file launch pad not appearing. kindly provide me solution

191. vijen kumar says:

I am trying to install sql server 2008 r2 standard on Windows server 2008 r2 enterprises 64 bit edition. but setup hangs on installation like "Install_Sqlncli_cpu64_Action: InstallInitialize " or :Removelog/Logfiles. taking 2-3  hours on single instance. I have read many threads but unsuccess. Start Installation in morning but in evening around 7 pm i have to shut down my server but not install complete yet.Please help me . my id is : kumarvijen@yahoo.com

192. jasm says:

Good work.

It solve my problem.

Thanks

193. surya says:

I got those files I have tried but still I stuck at the same place

194. loke says:

hi, i'm installing SQL server 2008 R2. I unable to install. Every times after my installation on the Setup support files, it does not progress to next setup which is setup support rules. Please help and i can't find this path. Thanks

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100Bootstrap]

"BootstrapDir"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server100BootstrapSetup]

"PatchLevel"="10.50.1600.00"

195. anoop agarwal says:

Hi,

this worked for me, I had an error which said that you are at same level as the installer media.

sorry could not get the log file.

Thanks for the tip.

Anoop

196. Thanks everyone for showing interest in the blog. For those who were able to install SQL successfully with the help of this blog, great, I am glad the blog came in handy in some way.

For those who are still stuck with various errors in spite of trying out the steps outlined in the blog, I would strongly urge you to open a case with Microsoft CSS and let them have a crack at the issue.

Thanks,

197. Wajahat says:

I am trying to install SQL server 2012 on window 10…Using your method i get an error 0x858C001B. Kindly help me with this

198. Fei says:

HI

I have encountered the same problem, may i know how this thing happened? due to???

199. rajesh says:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Setup

——————————

The following error has occurred:

Updating permission setting for folder 'C:WindowsTemp' failed. The folder permission setting were supposed to be set to 'D:(A;OICI;0x1200af;;;S-1-5-80-425977601-1203083412-1631309457-2457533047-3321749933)'.

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

For help, click: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

——————————

BUTTONS:

&Retry

——————————

200. kacham himakar says:

how to find the error when " .exe" file runing,but not showing any thing and log files are not created

while installing the sql

201. kevin15 says:

Try using Long Path Tool program this is very helpful!

202. Artur says:

Try using the Long Path Tool, this really helps!

203. Laleh says:

Hi there, you didn't mention where to create the .reg file and what to name it?

thanks,

204. Gaurav Shrivastava says:

Hi,

I have done the  all 2 steps for  SQL Server 2008 R2 installation but still setup file disappearing after clicking  Run as administration option. I am not able to install SQL server 2008 r2 setup on Windows 7 ultimate edition.

Setup file is not starting for installation.

Please help me, I will be very thankful.

mail id- gaurav.shri28@gmail.com

205. Rajendra Redekar says:

Thanks for your solution harsh..

206. Kim Manalo says:

please help,

when i change the sqlsetup.reg then double click, it says that cannot import, due to specified file is not a registry script. this is the 1st step so what can i do? please help.

207. Ashlesha says:

hey i have the same issue with sql server 2008 R2. I have followed your first step but i am confused about second step which file we have to copy on destination. what is that setup.exe and resource folder. in my pc i had only this much folders C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap and in setup bootstrap their is only folder named log. please guide me to solve this issue.

1. Hi Ashlesha, if you don’t see the destination folders, then you need to create them.

Thanks,

208. Uday Sankar says:

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 OS installed on my computer. While installing SQL Server 2012/2014 in the starting or in the middle fails installation and shows Scenario Engine Has Stopped Working. I have tried too many times unfortunately closing or system will gets shutdown.

Please help me on this.