Sample: VB.Net Express and SQL Express Music Manager on MSDN

Brian has a great sample on MSDN that shows off new features in the express SKUs. It really looks cool and pretty simple in terms of code. Please give us feedback as we have more samples planned.

-Euan Garden

Product Unit Manager

SQL Server Tools

1. Sam F. says:

Downloaded and installed app from msi file. Opened project in vbx. Would NOT build, shows 3 errors and 2 warnings as follows:

Error 3 Namespace or type specified in the Imports ‘Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback’ cannot be found. C:ManageMusicSamplefrmMain.vb Line 3 Column 8

Error 4 Type ‘Audio’ is not defined. C:ManageMusicSamplefrmMain.vb Line 11 Column 30

Error 5 Type ‘Audio’ is not defined. C:ManageMusicSamplefrmMain.vb Line 167 Column 18

Warning 1 The referenced component ‘Microsoft.DirectX’ could not be found.

Warning 2 The referenced component ‘Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback’ could not be found.

DirectX is installed and the DX Diagnostic indicates it is installed correctly.

Any ideas???? Thx…. :-B

2. Euan Garden says:

Sam,

From newsgroup posting you made it looks like the issue is resolved? Do you still need help getting this working?

If all is workign do you mind if we turn your solution into an FAQ entry?

Thx

-Euan Garden

Product Unit Manager

SQL Server Tools

3. Sam F. says:

Euan-

Well, first, no, I do not mind at all regarding the FAQ.

Second, although the original problem is fixed, and the app will start, and it will find and play an MP3 file, it simply will not load a playlist. When I check the ‘Options’ button, I get an error message simply stating ‘Not Implemented’. I found the code that is generating the error message, but cannot tell why it is being triggered.

Nor can I determine why the playlist functionality is not working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :-B

4. Sam F. says:

Sorry, I forgot to mention when trying to add files to playlist, the error message is

‘Procedure or funtion ‘AddMP3’ expects parameter ‘@ArtistName’, which was not supplied’.

These files were copied from a retail CD with Media Player to wma format, then to MP3 format with dbPowerAmp Music Converter. All tag info appears to be intact using ID3v2.3 and LAME version 3.93. Hope this helps.

5. Sam F. says:

6. Euan Garden says:

Ok I’ll do some work on this over the weekend.

-Euan Garden

Product Unit Manager

SQL Server Tools

7. Sam F.,

1) Regarding the Options and ‘Not implemented’. That was by design. Our goal with the sample was to do most of the work, but not everything. It’s meant to show what can be done with VB and SQL Express.

2) Your problem with the ArtistName issue is simply the fact that we’re looking for ID3v.1 tags not newer 2.x tags (as explained in the article). All of my MP3’s have to v.1 and v.2 data for example. If you look at the code, we look at the ID3v.1 tag locations for the ArtistName. It’s either there or it isn’t unfortunately.

Cheers,

Brian Randell

MCW Technologies

(Author of the sample)

8. Sam F. says:

OK, thanks alot Brian.

BTW, a pretty neat ground up app, looks like alot of work to me.

9. rctaubert says:

In a July 13, 2004 post (http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/12/181222.aspx) SamF stated "Downloaded and installed app from msi file."

I have Brian Randell’s 2004 article, but I am having trouble getting it to run based on what is in that article.

Was or is the source code available???

I have mostly programmed in MS Access and VB6.  I am trying to my to VB.net and SQL.  I think I could learn a lot from a working sample.

Please let me know it it is or isn’t available.

10. sqlexpress says:

Hi rctaubert,

I took a look at the article and saw the source code available within it.  Are you looking for something more?  Also, I would suggest taking a look at the following learning videos and starter applications:

Best regards, MJ

11. sqlexpress says:

There was originally a download with the article that seems to have been cut adrift. I’m working on tracking it down, but after a short conversation with Brian I’ve learned that the source was written during the VS beta and it is a known issue that it won’t compile correctly.

I’m looking into what can be done about this.

– Mike