SQL Database Mail – Send T-SQL Results by Email

This post demonstrates how you can have T-SQL results being sent to you in emails by using SQL Database Mail.

The article here is assumed that a SQL Database Mail profile “MailProfile1′ has been created.  The MailProfile1 tells Database Mail what account it should use to send emails.  For how to create a Database Mail profile, you can refer to the previous post  SQL Database Mail.

To send T-SQL results by emails, run T-SQL sp_send_dbmail as follows as an example.

— Start T-SQL

USE msdb
    EXEC sp_send_dbmail
      @profile_name = ‘MailProfile1’,
      @recipients = ‘someone@microsoft.com’,
      @subject = ‘T-SQL Query Result’,
      @body = ‘The result from SELECT is appended below.’,
      @execute_query_database = ‘msdb’,
      @query = ‘SELECT subsystem_id,subsystem FROM syssubsystems’
— End T-SQL —

This example uses the profile MailProfile1 as your email account and sends T-SQL query result to the recipient email someone@microsoft.com.   The context of email consists of the message @body and the query result.  The entire email will look like below.

From: Yuhong Li
    Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:16 PM
    To: someone@microsoft.com
    Subject: T-SQL Query Result

The result from SELECT is appended below.
    subsystem_id subsystem
              12 PowerShell
               8 QueueReader
               4 Snapshot
              11 SSIS
               1 TSQL

(12 rows affected)

Here is another example that demonstrates how quotation marks and newlines are used to construct the context of emails.

— Start T-SQL

USE [msdb]

@profile_name =’MailProfile1′,

@recipients =’someone@microsoft.com’,

@subject =’T-SQL PRINT Result’,

@body =’The output of PRINT is sent to you as follows.’,

@execute_query_database =’msdb’,

@query = “PRINT CHAR(13)+’Use double-quotation marks.’ + CHAR(13) + ‘Start a newline'”

— End T-SQL —

The outcome of email will be shown as follows.

From: Yuhong Li
    Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:16 PM
    To: someone@microsoft.com
    Subject: T-SQL PRINT Result

The output of PRINT is sent to you as follows.

Use double-quotation marks.
    Start a newline

For more information about sending emails, see the syntax of sp_send_dbmail in MSDN documents.

<End of Post>

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

1. Wallace Houston says:

I'm trying to execute the script below from SSMS based on your example.  I've tried several changes in syntax, but with the script below I get this error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 20

Incorrect syntax near '%'.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?   Thanx, Wallace

USE msdb

EXEC sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'whouston',

@recipients = 'someone@microsoft.com',

@subject = 'Order Complete, Shipment Pending',

@body = 'Completed Orders with Pending Shipments',

@execute_query_database = 'msdb',

@query = 'use SfiData

select distinct os.OrderNumber, substring(convert(char, cu.customerkey), 1, 7) +

substring(convert(char, cu.CustomerCheckDigit), 1, 1) as Cuskey,

oh.OrderStatus, os.ShipmentStatus, oh.OrderDateTime, os.DeliveryDate, os.DateDescription

into #temp

from tblOrderShipment as os left outer join tblorderheader as oh

on os.OrderNumber = oh.OrderNumber left outer join tblCustomer as cu

on oh.CustomerNumber = cu.CustomerNumber

where oh.OrderNumber % 100 = (select currentyear from tSystemValues) % 100

and oh.orderstatus like '%Complete%'

and os.ShipmentStatus like '%Pending%'

–and cu.CreditRisk = 0

group by oh.OrderDateTime, os.DeliveryDate, cu.customerkey, os.OrderNumber,

cu.CustomerCheckDigit, oh.OrderStatus, os.DateDescription, os.ShipmentStatus

order by os.OrderNumber

select * from #temp

drop table #temp'

2. Wallace Houston says:

I just resolved it by putting the script in a stored procedure.  Thanx!

3. Lucas Otero says:

Hi Guys,

I have tried that but I am getting the following error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 11

Incorrect syntax near '@execute_query_database'.

This is query:

EXEC [msdb]..[sp_send_dbmail]

@profile_name = 'SQL Server Alert',

@recipients = 'lucas.otero@ultramartravel.com',

@subject = 'ALXN Daily Profile Data Update',

@body = 'NALXN_DailyProfileData file is not available'

@execute_query_database = 'msdb',

@query = 'SELECT * FROM Users where email like ''%Lucas.otero%'''

Any Idea?

4. Vlad Goia says:

4 Lucas: Users is a table in msdb database?

5. Joss says:

Nice article,  thanks for sharing

6. JAYADEV SETHY says:

good evening plz send me  all ruselt plz my mail I d is  jayadevsethy89@gmail.com

7. Jeshang Gudol says:

Hi can anyone help me ,,,i am trying to execute below script but throwing error saying

"Msg 14607, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sysmail_verify_profile_sp, Line 42

profile name is not valid"

— Start T-SQL

USE msdb

EXEC sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'MailProfile1',

@recipients = 'someone@microsoft.com',

@subject = 'T-SQL Query Result',

@body = 'The result from SELECT is appended below.',

@execute_query_database = 'msdb',

@query = 'SELECT subsystem_id,subsystem FROM syssubsystems'

— End T-SQL —

apperciate yr quick help..

8. Hi says:

i have a table(tbl_feedback) data will be updated daily and it contains attachments too. i have to get these database for every week with all the attachments. can any one help me

9. Esin says:

Hello, I want to send query result as a table. How can i implamet html or do you know another way?

10. jun says:

Hi Yuhong

I am using SQL2008R2, and I do not have problem to send the database email, my problem is that query result format without linefeed after each row.

So it returns as a long line from header to "—-" to results.

How to fix it?

11. Ali says:

tried and get Mail Queued  message .. but did'nt receive recipient email ..

12. Chadwick says:

Works Great!!

13. Jed Larry Williamson III says:

This code gave me exactly what I needed.  You rock!  Tank Ya!

14. Wong Tong Lou Song says:

Very good code, helpful, accurate. Thank you very much.

15. Tidell says:

Gave me exactly what I needed to get the job done.  Worked like a champ!

16. Jeramiah Smith says:

I have been working in IT for a long time.  For the longest time, I have been looking for code to help me with this situation.  I am so happy I found this link.  Many times I have found posted code does not work and stated, in this case however, everything worked on the very first attempt.  Thanks for making my day productive.  This has been a long time needed action from our SQL Server.

17. Miguel Sontorro Sanchez says:

Este artigo é incedible. Ele salvou-me a tanto tempo e aborrecimento. Eu aprecio a postagem.

18. Constance Winworth says:

Very very helpful!! Thanks bunches!!

19. The Zep Fister says:

Didn't work, can you please provide me some help?  I am getting an error 646, command not performed.

20. Gonzo Wallace IV says:

Error 646 can be resolved by recycling the SQL Service after your query is created.  I encountered this error and was able to fix it on 2 of our servers.

21. Brazzelworth Huntington says:

Try this:  It works much better!

— Start T-SQL

USE msdb

EXEC sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'MailProfile1',

@recipients = 'someone@microsoft.com',

@subject = 'T-SQL Query Result',

@body = 'The result from SELECT is appended below.',

@execute_query_database = 'msdb',

@query = 'SELECT subsystem_id,subsystem FROM syssubsystems'

— End T-SQL —

22. Duffy the Duffster says:

@query = 'SELECT subsystem_id,subsystem FROM syssubsystems'; (Always place semicolon at the end of a SQL statement)

23. Kevin KickButt says:

No you don't have to have a semi-colon there!

24. Gentle Jasmin says:

You do too need the semi-colon,,, SQL,,, Hello

25. Joe Slater says:

26. Biff Wimsickle says:

wow, man, this little piece of code sure has generated a lot of conversation since its first post.  GaaaaaaaaDannnnnnnggggggstah