1. Jacqueline de Graaff (Twitter: Jacqiedegraaff) says:

Thanks for this update. I do have another question: about bulk uploading images (and adding the correct metadata): Is there any documentation on how to add metadata to more than one picture at the time? We have 1.000nds of pictures and it would be very nice if we can add metadata in one go.

Any suggestions for this issue?

2. Chris says:

Hi, thanks for this thorough explanation, it's really helpful! I'm trying to upload my user's profile images programatically using Peter Holpar's code : pholpar.wordpress.com/…/how-to-upload-a-user-profile-photo-programmatically and got it working in a test environment. It won't however work in the production environment – completely new install etc of SharePoint Server 2010.

I have all permissions, and I get the red cross with text 'User Photo'. If I right click on 'Properties' of this non-image, it has the correct pictureURL.

I've been stuck on this problem for ages and any help would be GREATLY appreciated. In my code the URL values are correct, as well as the image paths, etc…all seem fine.

Thank you!!

3. Alexey says:

What I can see you don't maintain aspect ratio resizing profile photo. At least in forums where small thumbnail is used. My original 146×220 sized photo becomes 32×32 and I look a little flat.

Probably there is some feature to turn on?

4. Anonymous says:

I have a question regarding image file extension. Does thumbnail feature in SP2010 supports other image types?  For example, PNG, BMP or GIF.

5. Aravind says:

Thanks , very useful information regarding user profile images.

-Aravind

aravindrises.blogspot.com

6. Ariel Kirsman says:

Is it possible to customize the size of those thumbnails? For ex. a company set the profile container to 189×189, therefore they want large thumbnails to be that size. Is that posible? How? Thanks!

7. Rod says:

Chris I get the same error have you found a fix?

8. Thanks , very useful information regarding user profile images.

I want to ask you one question. please give me any suggestion.

I want to put validation when users upload profile image.

some users upload portrate image and some users upload landscape image.

so, i want users to upload only one (landscape image or portrate image) and want to make validation for that.

any suggestion… it is possible?

Thanks

9. Shawn says:

Question: How do i manage the profile picture library when it exceed 5000 item?

10. Eugenia says:

My question:  I get that 3 thumbnail sizes are provided however, is there a way of limiting the size (mb) of the thumbnail chosen.  Does the thumbnail size affect the rest of the environment & document uploads etc…?

Cheers

11. Serg says:

Here is a nice tool that allows user to change both SharePoint profile picture and Active Directory user picture:

Thanks.

12. Tom says:

Is there any way to save whole users pics to  default storage to upload in new environment?

thanks in advance

13. AGR says:

Nice Post Thanks,

I have an question that If i have created the users named as "test.user" and "test_user" .

Below PictureURL created for the above users

http://mysite.com/User Photos/Profile Pictures/test_user_MThumb.jpg

i.e "." is converted into "_".

Due to this the same picture shown for two users.

Please advice me.

14. Sudhakar says:

Hi AGR,

I have run into the exact same problem. Have you found a work around to the issue ?