How to fix: Recurring Meeting Workspace error: ‘g_InstanceID’ is undefined

Note: I’m lifting this from my blog post, in hopes of the workaround getting more traffic.

After changing the master page on a Meeting Workspace site, the recurring meeting workspace hyperlinks under “Select a date from the list below” do not work and throw a JavaScript error.

If you create a custom master page and use it for your Meeting Workspaces, a JavaScript error is thrown.

‘g_InstanceID’ is undefined

The g_instanceId global JavaScript variable is declared in a script registered runtime by the Microsoft.SharePoint.Meetings.PropertyBag web control. This control is used in the master page that’s used by Meeting Workspace sites called “MWSDefault.master” (located on server in 12 hive\TEMPLATE\GLOBAL\).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a new Workspace: Site Actions-> Create Site -> Select [Meetings] Basic Meeting Workspace, click Create.

2. On Workspace site, add a Calendar list: Site Actions -> Create -> [Tracking] Calendar.

3. Add a new event to Calendar list, make recurring event, and select [x] Use a Meeting Workspace to organize attendees, agendas, documents, minutes, and other details for this event. Click OK.

4. Follow steps to create workspace for Calendar event. Go to workspace.

5. Change master page for workspace: Site Actions -> Site Settings -> [Look and Feel] Master page -> select any master page for Site Master Page and System Master Page. Click OK. Go back to workspace.

6. Now the links under “Select a date from the list below:” do not work and throw a JavaScript error message: ‘g_InstanceID’ is undefined .

1. Open SharePoint Designer 2007. Go to File | Open Site and connect to SharePoint site.

2. Expand out _catalogs -> masterpage -> open master page used on Meeting Workspace.

3. In Code View, add the following line of code under <%@ Import Namespace=”Microsoft.SharePoint” %> tag:

<%@ Register Tagprefix=”Meetings” Namespace=”Microsoft.SharePoint.Meetings” Assembly=”Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” %>

4. Add the following line of code after opening <body …> tag: <Meetings:PropertyBag runat=”server”/>

5. Save master page, check in (if necessary), and publish major version.

1. jd says:

Thanks for this, I just found this problem!

One comment though, when copy and pasting the above code into SharePoint designer it inserted slanting quotation marks, not the standard character, which is obviously invalid, so I had to go through and replace them.  Not a problem, but slightly annoying.

2. michmon says:

Hi JD,

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve went through and changed them to the standard character.

3. Kathy says:

How do you fix this problem if you don’t have Sharepoint designer?

4. Nathan says:

You can use Visual Studio 2005 or later.

5. michmon says:

To be sure, you can also download SharePoint Designer trial version from here:

6. Charles says:

FYI – I found that in our particular scenario we’re using cusotm master pages at the site level. In my case I was not successful editing the master pages on the meeting workspace level. I had to navigate up to the parent site in which the meeting workspace was created under and edit that custom master page per the instructions.

7. Haries says:

I get a similar error when I cofigure meeting. Other than the current occurance of the meeting, If I try to click on any other occurance it says " This occurance has not yet beenactivated".

I created a new webapplication on our test environment with default masterpage. Then created a new meeting workspace. associated a meeting with that meeting workspace, there is no error I can click on any recurring meeting.

So how do I resolve the issue with the custom master page can you please suggest.

8. michmon says:

@Haries: Have you checked to see what SharePoint controls or Content Placeholders you might be missing from your custom master page when compared with default.master?

9. Ashok says:

After making these changes I find that the master page for the meeting worspace gets reset to the default and I lose the master page selection that I made before the error.  How do I retain the master page changes to retain the look and feel and yet be able to get the recurring meeting links to work w/o any errors?

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

10. Aurora Gustin says:

I have the exact some error as Ashok’s last post:

Has anyone found a fix?

11. Matt says:

I’ve made these changes to both the default.master and MWSdefault.master pages in _catalogs | masterpage and am still having both the "g_InstanceID is undefined" for previous meeting dates as well as the "occurance has not yet been activated" error for future instances.

Did I edit the wrong  page?  I did verify that the pages were saved and are at version 2.0

12. Matt says:

I was able to get this to work.  However, After making the changes and saving the file, I had to R-Click on MWSdefault.master and select "Set as Custom Master Page".  After that, everything worked again!

13. Aaron says:

Great post.  This worked for me.  Thank you.

14. Martin says:

Hey, great!

It workls!

Thanks a lot!

15. Chad says:

Thank you so much, worked like a champ!

16. HB says:

Thanks a lot for this.

It did work for me – but only for me, not for any other users. I got a Microsoft Internet Explorer is required error message when I tried to publish a major version and it was saved as a draft. I then had to find the master page gallery on my Sharepoint site and approve the modified page.

After that, the error was fixed for all users.

17. Jim says:

I 2nd what Matt said,

The fix didn’t work untl I right-clicked on MWSdefault.master and selected  "Set as Custom Master Page".

18. jriesen says:

I applied these code changes to our custom master page and this does fix the recurring meeting workspace error ‘g_InstanceID’ is undefined.  Yeah!  But for some reason on a Multi-page Meeting Site all the page tabs disappear.  Do you have any suggestions for fixing that?  T

19. tt says:

Is there a way to update the custom master page at that level, but not override the styling that is inherited from top level master pages, several sites up?  I don’t want to pull the code from the top level master page and paste in to the MWSdefault.master, and then have these one-off master page cases each time we have a Meeting Workspace issue like this, but also don’t want to edit the top level page w/this code snippet.

Is there any way to just have a small include file, or some other way to run this code at the Meeting Workspace level – and JUST this code?

20. artykul8 says:

thanks so much for the post. it worked out perfectly. those two lines in a master page solved all those meeting workspace problems.

21. sp12 says:

Hi I’m having the same problem as jriesen where on multi-page meeting sites the page tabs disappear. Does anyone have a fix for this?

22. Patrick says:

Thanks for the fix. It worked for myself and the other admins but non-admin users still get the same error on page. I have give Full Controll permissions to my test user on the workspace and the calendar but it still gets the same thing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

23. Pradeep says:

I'm getting an error  'g_thispagedata' is undefined on SharePoint 2010 meeting workspace when I click the dates on the left hand side. I had saved the site as a template and brought it back on a different web application. both web apps use the default masterpages.

24. DoubleD says:

i cannot believe that… got SP2010 and that error still seems to be there!!!

tried everything, compared the two master pages of a working (original M$ workspace), and a non working instance (my saved template based on M$) and found no difference (despite a WebPartId).

also looked for both the Tagprefix and Meetings:PropertyBag – both are there. any new suggestions for a Sharepoint 2010 Meeting Site???

25. Sami AlSayyed says:

For SharePoint 2010, do the same thing but change version of the assembly from 12 to 14

<%@ Register Tagprefix="Meetings" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Meetings" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>

26. clarksss says:

In 2010 MWSDefaultv4.master already has this change.

The error still exists when using a custom Meating Workspace Template.

I also tried Microsofts Hot Fix and that did not resolve the issue either.

27. Shanan says:

I can't use SPD to open my site (network security Natzi's), but I can pull down a copy of a master page, edit it with SPD and then upload it to the Master Pages gallery.  Now, of course this means I can't get to the MWSDefault.master page, so I have to do everything in a separate custom master page.

Ok, so here's what I have atop my custom master page (and I've tried re-ordering the lines albeit I can't remember all the combinations I've tried:

<%@Master language="C#"%>

<%@ Register Tagprefix="SharePoint" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %> <%@ Register Tagprefix="Utilities" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %> <%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint" %>

<%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint" %>

<%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages" %>

<%@ Register Tagprefix="WebPartPages" Namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages" Assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="Welcome" src="_controltemplates/Welcome.ascx" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="DesignModeConsole" src="_controltemplates/DesignModeConsole.ascx" %>

<%@ Register tagprefix="SPSWC" namespace="Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls" assembly="Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" %>

Here's where I put the line of code in the body tag:

<BODY scroll="yes" onload="javascript:if (typeof(_spBodyOnLoadWrapper) != 'undefined') _spBodyOnLoadWrapper();">

<form runat="server" onsubmit="return _spFormOnSubmitWrapper();">

<Meetings:PropertyBag  runat="server"/>

<WebPartPages:SPWebPartManager id="m" runat="Server"/>

Then I've uploaded my new MeetingMaster page, published it as a major version, and approved approved it.  Then I go to the site that has the multiple meeting workspace, site settings -> Master page and I select my ynew MeetingsMaster page from the drop down, click oK and I'm back at the Site Settings….yeah we're cooking with Crisco now….then I click on my site (using the bread crumb trail) and BAM! – the wonderful SharePoint Page not Found error message.

Any ideas?  Do I just have something in the wrong place?

28. Steven Derveaux says:

I've got the same problem in SharePoint Foundation 2010!

The masterpage is correct (otherwise I should receive the "g_instance_id is undefined") but the SharePoint javascript still contains a bug which results in "g_thispagedata is undefined").

DoubleD is right: why is this bug still in SP2010?!?!

is their any chance that MS create a patch for this?

29. Tony says:

I got similar problem and fixed per this message link. Very useful. The important thing I missed the first time is Matt's text about right-click in designer MWSDefault file and set it as custom default. It would be good to put this in the "workaround" solution top part.

30. Krishna says:

When i follow above procedure, I get "File Not Found Error". we are in Sharepoint 2010

31. accidentally fixed and changed no code at all says:

In my list of masterpages I had default, minimal, MSWDefault, MWSDefaulv4, and v4 .. First I set default master as default master and set mwsdefault as custom master page .. was prompted about changing the interface from v4 to v3 and chose yes .. huge mistake .. messed up my whole interface .. in an attempt to swiftly dig my way out of that one, I changed default master to v4.master and custom master to MWSDefaultv4.master, was prompted to change interface to v4, click yes, and voila .. the appearance is as it should be an all the links work and all the content on previous meetings is there…everything appears fine except no more java error

32. Prashant says:

HI All,

Even though  i have updated the master page its not  working  in some other systems.

What are the system specifications to work??