Recently I had faced an issue with BCS, MetaData and Access Services in my SharePoint environment. Those are the only services that I have checked and not sure about other services, but a single point resolution resolved all those issues.
Issue with BCS was once I open SharePoint site in SharePoint designer and Click on “External Content Types” in the left side menu then I got the below error.
Click on “External Content Type” on top menu I got another one 🙂
I have checked and confirmed the below configuration settings (these settings must need to be checked, because I have seen this issue before as well because of the mismatch versions)
Both SPD and SPS are running with same version (RTM)
Installed the WCF hotfix for Windows 2008 R2 ( same for windows 7 ), which was not there before.
Services are running and selected for the corresponding web application.
Issue with Access Services:
Once I tried to browse to the Access WebForm it wasthrowing the below error in the UI.
Exception in ULS log is given below:
Error while executing web part: Microsoft.Office.Access.Server.Application.AccessServerSessionException: Access Services is unable to process the request. at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.LoadBalancer.GetFailoverServer(String excludeServerId) at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.LoadBalancer.GetNextServer(String workbookUrl) at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Proxy.LoadBalancer.ExecuteNewSessionMethod(CreateServerSessionMethod createServerSessionMethod, CoreNewSessionMethod newSessionMethod, String workbookUrl) at Microsoft.Office.Access.Server.Application.AccessServerSession.CreateNewSession() at Microsoft.Office.Access.Server.Data.AccessServicesDataSourceView.get_ServerSession() at Microsoft.Office.AccessServer.Data.AccessServicesDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigatorInternal() at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator() at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXPathNavigator(String viewPath) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform) 88303781-07a4-43e7-966d-b648207b9b0f
I can see that all content published correctly to SharePoint site. If I edit any of the items in the EmpInfo list it is synching that data with my client Access application (access table - EmpInfo). But while accessing the webform only I am getting the above error.
Access service was enabled for the webapplication that I am testing.
Another issue was related to the Managed MetData , once I click on the Managed metadata service, it was throwing an other error which I don’t remember now.
As a summary the resolution was in a single point: From the all above findings we can see that most of the service applications are failing.
Once I checked the event logs I could see the below errors whenever there is a SharePoint service application failure.
An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The HTTP service located at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas is too busy. .
An unexpected error occurred. Error 52068.
System.ServiceModel.ServerTooBusyException: The HTTP service located at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas is too busy. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Resolution was re-provision the Security Token Service application. Below PS script will do it !